• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Whitby services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
When I was in the Middlesborough area the other week, every Northern unit I saw was a 142, including the 1500 to Nunthorpe. I didn't get to see the Whitby train though (Northern wouldn't hold it after cancelling the connecting train from Saltburn).

sprinterguy

Established Member
When I was in the Middlesborough area the other week, every Northern unit I saw was a 142, including the 1500 to Nunthorpe. I didn't get to see the Whitby train though (Northern wouldn't hold it after cancelling the connecting train from Saltburn).
The majority of Middlesborough to Hexham services are worked by 142s, and there are also a good number of 142 diagrams on the Darlo to Saltburn turns. The Whitby services are, as MattE2010 says, all usually worked by 156s though.

Established Member
Do 150s ever make it to Whitby?

They may have done in the past but I doubt Darlington and Middlesbrough crews sign 150s. All Whitby services are 156s now, although 142s get as far as Nunthorpe. I did have a 142 all the way from Newcastle to Whitby and back on a summer Sunday a few years back.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I suspect the only 150 that will have made it to Whitby will have been the Network Rail one. As others have stated its normally a 156, but I have seen 142's on the Nunthorpe's before now. Years ago it used to be a Metro 144 and prior to that 142's & 153's used to make it!

Status
Not open for further replies.