• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

White Hart Lane/Tottenham North

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I would agree with you, I seem to recall there was or maybe still is a station for Watford Football Club, perhaps on the High Street or Croxley Branch, which may be connected to the Met & Jct in the not too distant future.

i also seem to remember going on a train from Manchester Piccadilly to Liverpool Lime Street many year ago and saw a platform for one of the Manchester football clubs, not sure if it's still there and or still used?

Yes, there was a simple wooden affair by the name of "Watford Stadium".

MUFC Halt is still there, but the match day-only train service was suspended recently due to security concerns. Not sure if this is still the case for the new season?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
With the tube stations miles away, White Hart Lane station has always struck me as inadequate for THFC, particularly for night games when frequencies are lower.

The last time I went there, for a midweek FA Cup game where the crowd was well below capacity, I had to get a taxi to Manor House as the train queues were horrendous and I couldn't even find a bus as they seemed to have been diverted.

Public transport access to our major football grounds is very poor in comparison with those on the continent like Stade de France, Feyenoord, Ajax, Borussia Dortmund, Schalke, Hertha Berlin, Augsburg, Heysel, Real Madrid, etc.

It's very poor outside London for many clubs, though not so much for the London stadiums. Wembley, the Emirates and the Olympic Stadium are well catered for, Stamford Bridge isn't bad either, and of the medium sized grounds access to Charlton, Millwall and QPR (especially) is easy

The Ricoh Arena by contrast has a railway station, but no trains (until the Class 230 comes into service :lol:)

AlanFry1

Just wondering, is this going to result in closures now to white hart lane next year onwards? I find it sad that current infrastructure will be in place for the first season of games.

leytongabriel

We can only hope that some bright spark doesn't decide the patforms are 11.7cm too narrow and have the station closed when Spurs play at home. Witness Arsenal public transport debacle to the detriment of anyone else living or working in the area.

jon0844

Veteran Member
http://www.squawka.com/news/spurs-f...-local-train-station-tottenham-hotspur/795625

According to this article, Spurs would like to rename the station "Tottenham Hotspur Station" but TfL could charge them 12m!

One problem for Spurs is that if the station is still named WHL, then the world will probably continue to call the new ground WHL instead of its sponsor's name.

TfL is probably just out to get as much as possible if the stadium naming rights are supposed to be worth £150m.

I do think a lot of people will still say White Hart Lane anyway, at least for a generation. I doubt that it will harm the sponsors too much, as you can be sure that the branding will be in your face and unmissable!

Mikey C

Established Member
TfL is probably just out to get as much as possible if the stadium naming rights are supposed to be worth £150m.

I do think a lot of people will still say White Hart Lane anyway, at least for a generation. I doubt that it will harm the sponsors too much, as you can be sure that the branding will be in your face and unmissable!

Do TfL actually own the full naming rights to Overground stations now, especially the ones only recently transferred, or does Network Rail still have an interest?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
God there would have been a petition against renaming Gillespie Road tube station if the internet had existed wouldn't there?

JW16

The club wants to rename it "Tottenham Hotspur Station"... I can't see it happening, thankfully.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Status
Not open for further replies.