• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

White Platform Trackside Boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

CambrianCoast

Can anyone explain to me what the little white boards with a red toggle are at trackside, fixed to platforms? The red toggle seems to have the ability to move up and down??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
They are called datum plates and they exist to make people ask the same question on here every three weeks. ;)

(seriously though, just search for datum plates. This question has been answered so often it should just be a sticky post)

CambrianCoast

Thanks for that - I'm new to this forum this evening, never visited before. Will google away now :)

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
You can find many threads on the matter using the forums search. The short answer is that they are used to measure and record the height of the running rail next to them. The red slider can be moved because the track moves under the passing of trains.

Hydro

Established Member
If it's a green slider, then the track must be realigned to the measurements on the datum plate.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
They are called datum plates and they exist to make people ask the same question on here every three weeks. ;)

(seriously though, just search for datum plates. This question has been answered so often it should just be a sticky post)

It is after all quite hard to search for something when one doesn't know what it is called or what it does. :D

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
True.

Although "http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=white+plates+red+slider+site:railforums.co.uk" could do the trick, if you were feeling incredibly inspired in your thinking.

I suspect that many who are new to the forums do not know how to do an efficient and focused search using Google. The inclusion of "site:railforums.co.uk" makes all the difference.

I find the built-in search facility here is a very blunt tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.