• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

White Rails at Glasgow Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveP29

Coming into and out of Glasgow Central yesterday, I saw them again and since I always wondered why the sides of the rails on the bridge over the Clyde are painted white, I though it an appropriate question to ask here.

Is it so they can be seen, since there are so many of them, but then I do see white rails on other parts of the network, so is there some other reason?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Phil.

Established Member
It's to reflect sunlight and thus minimise the amount of heat that the rail is subject to in an effort to prevent buckling.
I'm always reminded of Billy Connelly's statement that Glasgow has two seasons, Winter and August.

Railsigns

Established Member
The rails of points are painted white to reflect heat so as to minimise points failures caused by expansion, not to prevent buckling.

Railsigns

Established Member
Expansion can lead to buckling but I take your point.

Buckling tends to be more of a concern on continuously welded rail; less so in areas of complex S&C with lots of fishplated joints.

Signal Head

There was a set of EP switch diamonds in the Manchester area which were notorious for failing in hot weather, as the 'extension irons' which are fastened to the switch tips would foul the same fittings on the opposite set of switches as the switches expanded, there being very little clearance between the two sets, preventing either set from moving. It used to go on the fault report as 'clashing irons'. This was years ago, before anyone had the idea of painting the rails white.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Of course another explaination could be that these white patches are a side effect of Pway gangs enjoying a bit of FHM/Page 3 on their break

The above was intended as a joke and not to offend anyone so if I have appologies

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Of course another explaination could be that these white patches are a side effect of Pway gangs enjoying a bit of FHM/Page 3 on their break

The above was intended as a joke and not to offend anyone so if I have appologies

Absolutely unacceptable comment.

Permanent way gangs getting a break. Next you'll be suggesting they get a tea urn on wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.