• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Whittlesey - collision between freight train and tractor. (19/08/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Freightliner has hit a tractor on a level crossing. Line blocked. Assume it’s 66754 on 4L02 Hams Hall to Felixstowe judging by last train sent that way.

Moderator note: This thread contains some technical terms; please see below.

UWC = user worked crossing
AHB = automatic half barrier [crossing]
SPT = signal post telephone
GMS-R = Global System for Mobile Communications – Railway
MOP = member of [the] public

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
Reported to be 4L02, loco and 3 wagons off at Three Horse Shoes (Turves).

Broken70

It is 4L02 involved. Reported that 2 signals and crossing gates taken out with damage to the track alignment. The collsion has happened between Whittlesea and March near Three Horse shoes. My thoughts are with all involved or dealing with and the train driver and his family at this time hopefully he makes a full recovery.

Last edited:

96tommy

Train driver suffered minor injuries, tractor driver was uninjured. Disruption expected until at least tomorrow afternoon.

Established Member
The location is actually being reported as Kisby level crossing, which is six miles east of Whittlesea, and only a couple of miles west of March, between Three Horse Shoes and March.

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/202...nto-tractor-wagons-derailed-and-lines-blocked

Established Member
Pedantry - It will be GBRf not "Freightliner".
To me at my age it is a freightliner, not A container train, couldn’t care who runs it, back in the 80s always known as freightliners, but pedantry noted 8-)

trebor79

Established Member
Disruption expected until at least tomorrow afternoon.
Argh. Meant to be going to Sleaford tomorrow and no doubt the rail replacement bus service will not get me to Peterborough in time for my usual connection.
At least nobody was badly hurt.

Tio Terry

From my admittedly distant memory of the area it's flat and straight with good sighting. What's the weather like today? Is it foggy? If not it's strange with such good sighting.

InOban

Established Member
Train driver suffered minor injuries, tractor driver was uninjured. Disruption expected until at least tomorrow afternoon.
According to the BBC it's the other way round. Train driver unhurt, tractor driver minor injuries, no-one needed to go to hospital.

From my admittedly distant memory of the area it's flat and straight with good sighting. What's the weather like today? Is it foggy? If not it's strange with such good sighting
It is virtually flat and straight from three horse shoes to norwood road crossing. and in the fens today no fog, or bad visibility!!

I do believe there has been problems in the past with said farmer leaving gates open and not using the crossing as intended.

I hope our Peterborough GBRf brother is OK

eastdyke

Established Member
The location is actually being reported as Kisby level crossing, which is six miles east of Whittlesea, and only a couple of miles west of March, between Three Horse Shoes and March.

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/202...nto-tractor-wagons-derailed-and-lines-blocked
I sincerely hope any injuries are minor, my thoughts too with all those affected.

The reported location Kisby is ambiguous and the picture in the ITV report is the wrong one (the picture is of Kisby's south of Ely!)
A more relevant picture is here, taken from the ABC site. Note that risk assessments and other data are not up-to-date.

1629373100477.png

Established Member
The reported location Kisby is ambiguous and the picture in the ITV report is the wrong one (the picture is of Kisby's south of Ely!)
A more relevant picture is here, taken from the ABC site. Note that risk assessments and other data are not up-to-date.

View attachment 101297

Yes, just noticed the overhead line in the ITV picture which is a giveaway. Meanwhile the ABC site spells it differently to the Sectional Appendix, although both agree the crossing is equipped with a telephone.

XAM2175

Established Member
To me at my age it is a freightliner, not A container train, couldn’t care who runs it, back in the 80s always known as freightliners, but pedantry noted 8-)
It is important - particularly in incidents like this - as Freightliner is the name of another currently-active freight operator. The wrong use can be misleading.

87electric

It is important - particularly in incidents like this - as Freightliner is the name of another currently-active freight operator. The wrong use can be misleading.
GBRf has hit a tractor on a level crossing. Line blocked. Assume it’s 66754 on 4L02 Hams Hall to Felixstowe judging by last train sent that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

GB

Established Member
I have not seen any pictures yet but did the Loco and container flats stay upright? Good to hear the driver is OK.

loco stayed upright but derailed one axle, one wagon derail aswell. Luckily it was the tractors trailer that got hit not the tractor.

Tio Terry

It is virtually flat and straight from three horse shoes to norwood road crossing. and in the fens today no fog, or bad visibility!!

I do believe there has been problems in the past with said farmer leaving gates open and not using the crossing as intended.

I hope our Peterborough GBRf brother is OK

If it is the farmer misusing the level crossing it's similar to the Chivers Level Crossing collision back in 1976. But on that day, whilst the crossing gates were left permanently open, it was very foggy as well.

Alfie1014

Person hit by a train just south of Norwich both lines to Stowmarket and Thetford blocked as well now just to add to the Anglian woes today.

mtmikethom

Person hit by a train just south of Norwich both lines to Stowmarket and Thetford blocked as well now just to add to the Anglian woes today.
Just had a freight train reversing at Stowmarket blocked the down line including platform for around 80 mins causing disruption to Cambridge/March bound services.

High Dyke

Established Member
Yes, just noticed the overhead line in the ITV picture which is a giveaway. Meanwhile the ABC site spells it differently to the Sectional Appendix, although both agree the crossing is equipped with a telephone.
Cambridgeshire Live news is reporting the incident as Middle Road, March (also indicated as Middle Drove).

Middle Rd

jopsuk

Veteran Member
BBC Radio Cambridgeshire has some video from the scene

BBC Radio Cambridgeshire

@BBCCambs

·
1h

Two people have been injured after a freight train hit a tractor at a level crossing near March. Our reporter
@BorykaPatrycja
has been at the scene. More with
@chrismannbbc
on today's drivetime: https://bbc.in/2XGUnyk

Embedded video

0:29

BBC Radio Cambridgeshire

@BBCCambs

·
1h

It happened between Whittlesey and March in Cambridgeshire at 09:10 BST. Network Rail said three of the train's wagons derailed and the driver received minor injuries, while the tractor driver was unhurt.

Cambridgeshire Live news is reporting the incident as Middle Road, March (also indicated as Middle Drove).

Middle Rd
from the video in the tweet I think it's the crossing here (no streetview)

eastdyke

Established Member

Middle Rd
New pictures/updated story on ITV. Close inspection of the pictures shows that on coming to rest the train is blocking the Middle Drove UWC (R/G). Further pictures show a 'pile of hay' along the line at what would be the site of Kisby UWC (as evidenced by the buildings to the right) which was the site of the accident.

1629384812746.png

We must be truly thankful that this was not so much worse.

sjm77

Is there enough capacity for today's and tomorrow's container trains to run via London?
As we know logistics and supply chains are extremely stretched right now (hence Nandos running out of chicken). A two day delay to some container movements could result [temporarily] in more empty shelves in the supermarkets!

Sporty60

Good to hear that there doesn't appear to be any serious injury.
Such collisions at crossings rarely end well.
Hope everyone is fully insured!

The Planner

Veteran Member
Is there enough capacity for today's and tomorrow's container trains to run via London?
As we know logistics and supply chains are extremely stretched right now (hence Nandos running out of chicken). A two day delay to some container movements could result [temporarily] in more empty shelves in the supermarkets!
They will likely just run and the delay minutes and Schedule 8 payments get sorted later.

LAX54

Established Member
Argh. Meant to be going to Sleaford tomorrow and no doubt the rail replacement bus service will not get me to Peterborough in time for my usual connection.
At least nobody was badly hurt.
Closed until Monday they are saying, a lot of work to be done !

Trowse Bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.