• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who could take over from Ed Miliband?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
Surely he must have been aware of what may have occurred, being quite intelligent. Yet he still "threw his hat into the ring" which betrays a certain naiviety of his personal knowledge of the methodology of the media.

I think intrusions into your girlfriend's family, including a grandmother of 102, were unexpected though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

St Rollox

I'm more curious who takes over the leadership of Scottish Labour now that Jim Murphy has resigned.
There's one MP and 38 MSPs.
Take away ex leaders and those that tried to be leader.
That cuts it down to about 25.
Should be interesting.

me123

Established Member
Given that the two top candidates were previously considered to be Jim Murphy and Kezia Dugdale, I have little expectations from the others. The Scottish Labour party has all the political talent of a bowl of red M&Ms.

Scottish Labour always considered the Holyrood parliament to be inferior to Westminster, and it's only made things worse because they now have fewer MPs than Edinburgh Zoo has pandas. As such, most of the talent has gone. There are very few, if any, credible candidates.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I think intrusions into your girlfriend's family, including a grandmother of 102, were unexpected though.

Has not the antics of the press and media in recent years taught you that "anything goes" as far as they are concerned. Remember the mobile phone hacking incident of Milly Dowler, just to quote one example of "scraping the barrel"...<(

scott118

did i hear earlier today, that the UNITE union, are also possibly withdrawing their support, to the labour party?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
did i hear earlier today, that the UNITE union, are also possibly withdrawing their support, to the labour party?

The BBC are currently hedging their bets on this, but the article has changed during the day:

Photo caption:
Unite leader Len McCluskey said the union's affiliation to the party could be reconsidered
First line of text:
Unite general secretary Len McCluskey says his union is not considering ending its ties with the Labour Party.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32777771

EM2

Established Member
Mary Creagh has withdrawn.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jun/12/mary-creagh-withdraws-from-labour-leadership-race

Mary Creagh has dropped out of the Labour leadership race, expressing her dismay at Ed Miliband’s attitude to business and urging the next leader not to regard business as a vested interest with which to pick a fight.

Writing in the Guardian about her decision to stand aside, she warned: “Labour cannot be the party of working people and then disapprove when some working people do very well for themselves and create new businesses, jobs and wealth.”

Creagh, the shadow international development secretary, was a surprise candidate in the contest to succeed Miliband, but pulled out of the race on Friday once it became clear she was not going to reach the required 35 nominations from MPs before next week’s deadline.

Her decision leaves Andy Burnham, the shadow health secretary, Yvette Cooper, the shadow home secretary, and Liz Kendall, the shadow health minister, definitely on the ballot paper. Jeremy Corbyn, the most leftwing candidate, is still only half way to the required 35.

Creagh struggled to achieve definition in a contest that may only come alight next week when the first televised hustings take place.

She said she would not back any other candidate, but her supporters were free to do so. It was thought she had just over 10 nominees, including some new-intake MPs such as Stephen Kinnock.

In a strong attack on Miliband’s attitude to wealth creation, she claimed business people were invited to write reports for the party that were left to gather dust on Westminster bookshelves and were little more than public relations exercises. In a sign of the party’s relations with business, she said it was striking that not a single chief executive of a large company would come out to back Labour’s stance during the election campaign opposing an EU referendum.

She called on the party to “make the principled and unambiguous case that staying in the EU is in our national interest” and rejected proposals from some in the shadow cabinet that the party should boycott a cross-party pro-European campaign.

She said her own views on Miliband’s approach to business were crystallised last October when she was rebuked as shadow transport secretary for briefing bus company chief executives on the party’s plans to give regional authorities powers to regulate them, a policy she supported but which would reduce their profitability.

Creagh wrote: “I had good relationships with the big five bus companies, so we rang round to brief them as a courtesy.” She recounts she was then challenged by Miliband’s team before the launch of the policy in Manchester town hall on why she had briefed the firms. She explained that Labour would need the bus companies to deliver the reforms the party wanted to make.

She wrote: “I was told we wanted to ‘pick a fight’ with them, to show Labour was tackling vested interests. I was dismayed. Bus subsidy was a complex area and if we wanted reform without transport chaos, we would have to work with the companies, not against them.

“That exchange in Manchester town hall crystallised for me that the leader’s office did not understand business and didn’t understand what business needed from government.”

Soon afterwards, she was shuffled out of the transport portfolio.

Creagh insisted Labour lost the general election “because people trust us to run their schools their councils, their hospitals. But they do not trust us to run the economy. Tackling inequality is why the Labour party exists. It’s in our DNA. But the next Labour leader will have to show that Labour understands the problems facing the UK’s 5 million self-employed people, sole traders and small businesses. That understanding must run through our party’s DNA like a golden thread”.

Creagh’s departure comes as four of the Labour deputy leader candidates try to reach the 35 nominations. One of the four, Stella Creasy, received a political boost when 100 councillors backed her call to embrace new campaigning techniques so Labour turns into a national movement rather than just a party machine.

The 100 councillors wrote: “Too many people now see politics as a closed shop, for the few not the many. That means we miss out on their ideas and actions as they get put off taking part. Stella wants to want to change that. She represents the future of our party.”

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Which of Andy Burnham, Yvette Cooper, Liz Kendall and Jeremy Corbyn (assuming the latter gets sufficient nominations) would the uncommitted see as being Prime Ministerial material in 2020? I'd venture to suggest none of the above, or indeed any of the others whose names have been canvassed excepting the MP for Streatham, and he may yet put his name forward for candidate as Mayor of London, perhaps being better prepared next time for the intensive press scrutiny. Labour's only hope, and it's a realistic one, is that the Tories become by 2020 how they were in 1997 when they were (nominally) led by Major and were a fractious rabble.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Jeremy Corbyn has managed to secure the required nominations to get onto the ballot paper. This worries me, because if he becomes Labour leader, I fear it's going to be Michael Foot all over again, and Labour won't make gains in Middle England in 2020, even with Tory infighting. That being said, it makes the hustings a whole lot more interesting to watch over the next few months.

Hoping Labour makes Liz Kendall or Yvette Cooper their leader, otherwise it's over to the Lib Dems for me, especially if Tim Farron becomes leader over there.

pemma

Veteran Member
Which of Andy Burnham, Yvette Cooper, Liz Kendall and Jeremy Corbyn (assuming the latter gets sufficient nominations) would the uncommitted see as being Prime Ministerial material in 2020? I'd venture to suggest none of the above, or indeed any of the others whose names have been canvassed excepting the MP for Streatham, and he may yet put his name forward for candidate as Mayor of London, perhaps being better prepared next time for the intensive press scrutiny. Labour's only hope, and it's a realistic one, is that the Tories become by 2020 how they were in 1997 when they were (nominally) led by Major and were a fractious rabble.

I don't think the fact Yvette Cooper is married to someone who was Shadow Chancellor before losing his seat would help her case.

Personally I think the best line up for Labour would be:

Leader - Liz Kendall
Deputy leader - Andy Burnham
Shadow Chancellor - Chuka Umunna (who obviously isn't standing as leader now)

Having a high profile Northerner (Burnham) will help Labour to retain Northern support and win new support. However, I think Kendall as leader could gain more extra support nationwide than Burnham.

Having Umunna in charge of finances may help some Labour to win the support of some neutrals who were swayed by the Tory's claim of having a better plan for the economy this time.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I don't think the fact Yvette Cooper is married to someone who was Shadow Chancellor before losing his seat would help her case.

Personally I think the best line up for Labour would be:

Leader - Liz Kendall
Deputy leader - Andy Burnham
Shadow Chancellor - Chuka Umunna (who obviously isn't standing as leader now)

Having a high profile Northerner (Burnham) will help Labour to retain Northern support and win new support. However, I think Kendall as leader could gain more extra support nationwide than Burnham.

Having Umunna in charge of finances may help some Labour to win the support of some neutrals who were swayed by the Tory's claim of having a better plan for the economy this time.

The Tory press being engaged on a 'get Umunna' campaign after he announced his intention to stand as leader shows he was the one they judged to have the credibility and personality to possibly make a difference to the Tories' chances at the next election. Ally this to jealousy of him by some of the other contenders and other third-raters among Labour MPs and the poor man wasn't given a chance. LibDems may be out for another 60 years now, but Labour could easily be out for 15.

pemma

Veteran Member
The Tory press being engaged on a 'get Umunna' campaign after he announced his intention to stand as leader shows he was the one they judged to have the credibility and personality to possibly make a difference to the Tories' chances at the next election. Ally this to jealousy of him by some of the other contenders and other third-raters among Labour MPs and the poor man wasn't given a chance. LibDems may be out for another 60 years now, but Labour could easily be out for 15.

The Observer reported that the Conservatives were working on a plan to try and lock Labour out of government for a generation.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when Cameron stands down. Osborne, Johnson and May are all expected to stand as candidates for the next Conservative leader with Osborne currently the favourite but things may change over the next few years.

Aldaniti

:lol: You'll probably find it was his own side that stabbed him in the back. The Tories have nothing to be worried about with any of them. Chuka Ummuna always struck me as a slick smartly dressed car salesman, a bit like Blair - all style and very little substance. No, the Tories must be laughing at the mess the Labour party has got itself into. This is what happens when you stick two fingers up at your core vote. The Scots saw this a long time ago and now the English and Welsh are beginning to see it too.

pemma

Veteran Member
The Tories have nothing to be worried about with any of them. Chuka Ummuna always struck me as a slick smartly dressed car salesman, a bit like Blair - all style and very little substance.

A bit like George Osborne then?

Somehow he got elected in 2001 despite saying the reason the Conservatives lost the Tatton seat in 1997 was because it's called Tatton and not the name of the largest town meaning the electorates get confused about the boundary. (The only person it confused was Osborne because he had no idea about local Geography.)

Nothing to do with Neil Hamilton being involved in cash for questions and Labour and Lib Dem not putting forward candidates and backing Independent Martin Bell. :roll:

Just goes to show if you've got the right connections and you're a Conservative you can be a complete idiot, get given a safe seat to contest in an area you know nothing about, then get given a senior job in a shadow cabinet followed by a senior job in the actual cabinet. No wonder Osborne doesn't understand the unemployed.

Aldaniti

A bit like George Osborne then?

Somehow he got elected in 2001 despite saying the reason the Conservatives lost the Tatton seat in 1997 was because it's called Tatton and not the name of the largest town meaning the electorates get confused about the boundary. (The only person it confused was Osborne because he had no idea about local Geography.)

Nothing to do with Neil Hamilton being involved in cash for questions and Labour and Lib Dem not putting forward candidates and backing Independent Martin Bell. :roll:

Just goes to show if you've got the right connections and you're a Conservative you can be a complete idiot, get given a safe seat to contest in an area you know nothing about, then get given a senior job in a shadow cabinet followed by a senior job in the actual cabinet. No wonder Osborne doesn't understand the unemployed.

I'm sure you're right. You're not confusing me for someone who votes Tory are you? ;) :lol:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Whilst looking at the title of this thread and remembering the portrayal of Ed Miliband in his own inimitable style, it came to my mind that another well-meaning individual who appeared in a TV series also seemed to be afflicted with good natured and well-meaning attempts to convey himself as a personage of note, but one whose good intentions always came to naught.

For the older members of the website, I offer for your delight and delectation, the screen personage of The Reverend Mervyn Noote, Bishop's Chaplain, who was played so very well by Derek Nimmo in "All Gas and Gaiters"...:D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm sure you're right. You're not confusing me for someone who votes Tory are you? ;) :lol:

I sincerely hope not, as you must be of a very great age by now, as the Tory Party (those well-known Irish bandits) were not often heard of in British politics after the passing of The Reform Act of 1832...:shock:

pemma

Veteran Member

The point I was making is if Chuka Ummuna is all style and no substance as you claim then the Tories would have had something to fear, as that description fits Osborne as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

pemma

Veteran Member
Wallace or Grommit would be good candidates!

What would the policies be?

Subsides for cheese and cracker makers
Introduce national cheese day
Give Wensleydale city status
Introduce national inventor of the month award
All MPs to wear green jumpers

pemma

Veteran Member
According to reports the Tories are now scared of Liz Kendall (who they see as the most likely to challenge Cameron) and a number of them including former Tory MP Louise Mensch are actually joining the Labour Party to vote for Jeremy Corbyn.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Tories scared of Liz Kendal, just a good job that Dennis (The Beast of Bolsover) Skinner isn't a candidate for Leader!

EM2

Established Member
According to reports the Tories are now scared of Liz Kendall (who they see as the most likely to challenge Cameron) and a number of them including former Tory MP Louise Mensch are actually joining the Labour Party to vote for Jeremy Corbyn.
I can't see why they're running scared of Kendall, she's the most right-wing of the lot!
As for the Tories for Corbyn, they may find their applications to be Registered Supporters to be refused, as there is a requirement to 'endorse Labour values'. And if they fail the verification, Labour will keep the three quid :D

pemma

Veteran Member
I can't see why they're running scared of Kendall, she's the most right-wing of the lot!

That might be the point. A fed up Tory supporter might like the idea of her becoming PM but wouldn't like the idea of Jeremy Corbyn becoming PM.

Also apparently the Conservatives feel Cameron is less comfortable when he's asked a question by a woman.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A write up of last night's hustings: http://www.theguardian.com/politics...leadership-hustings-in-nuneaton-politics-live

Last edited by a moderator:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Wallace or Grommit would be good candidates!

I'm not sure I'm prepared to give up what should be my retirement, but isn't, to attempt to resurrect the Labour party. I think I'll stick to the cheese, of which I am much fonder, particularly the French varieties.:)

Seriously, imo the candidates for the Deputy Leadership are a calibre above the leadership candidates - what does that say about the modern Labour Party?

Tim Wallace

pemma

Veteran Member
Seriously, imo the candidates for the Deputy Leadership are a calibre above the leadership candidates - what does that say about the modern Labour Party?

I don't understand why leader and deputy leader are two completely separate contests when both positions are available.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Tories scared of Liz Kendal, just a good job that Dennis (The Beast of Bolsover) Skinner isn't a candidate for Leader!

Why on earth would the Labour Party wish to be a pale (or not so pale) shadow of the Tories? I really do not see the point. Perhaps Labour should try and attract the votes of the 'disaffected' classes who don't bother voting rather than attracting Tories from 'Middle-England'

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I don't understand why leader and deputy leader are two completely separate contests when both positions are available.

I don't see why Labour should make such a thing about deputy leadership. The only point of it seems to be to deputise for the leader at PMQ and not to get any of the blame when the party does badly in the election (cf Harriet Harman) It is a poisoned chalice to be leader in 2015, poisoned I regret to say in their completely different ways by Blairusconi and Brown. The former should be paid a huge fee to go and sort out FIFA, except you'd probably only get a swap from Qatar to Saudi Arabia.:lol:

pemma

Veteran Member
I don't see why Labour should make such a thing about deputy leadership. The only point of it seems to be to deputise for the leader at PMQ and not to get any of the blame when the party does badly in the election (cf Harriet Harman)

What I don't seem to get is why when the PM is away for PMQs the leaders of all the main parties have to be absent.

Yesterday Hilary Benn stood in for Harriet Harman due to Cameron being away in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.