• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who do you think should win the upcoming Thameslink franchise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HH

Established Member
The thing with First is that they could have lost them all by 2015.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Govia wont have 3 for long though, as Southern is due to merge with Thameslink. As a commuter on the Uckfield line I'd be delighted if Govia got it, as long as they use the Southern management on it. They have managed to prove something I have always stated which was if you ran a reliable serivce on the Uckfield line you'd get the passengers.

Mind you there is a slight worry about the merger of Sourthen and Thameslink franchises as that will leave the Uckfield Line out on a limb being unable to take Thameslink stock, so will it be adversely affected.

I do wonder how Govia manage to run Sourthern so well and South Eastern so badly, although I guess the real answer is it depends what issues get thrown at you. All franchisees seem to be equally bad at keeping passengers informed when it goes wrong.

jon0844

Veteran Member
That's exactly it. In many cases, it doesn't matter who runs a TOC - it's the infrastructure, rolling stock and the staff who remain regardless of changing management.

paul1609

Established Member
Govia wont have 3 for long though, as Southern is due to merge with Thameslink. As a commuter on the Uckfield line I'd be delighted if Govia got it, as long as they use the Southern management on it. They have managed to prove something I have always stated which was if you ran a reliable serivce on the Uckfield line you'd get the passengers.

Mind you there is a slight worry about the merger of Sourthen and Thameslink franchises as that will leave the Uckfield Line out on a limb being unable to take Thameslink stock, so will it be adversely affected.

I do wonder how Govia manage to run Sourthern so well and South Eastern so badly, although I guess the real answer is it depends what issues get thrown at you. All franchisees seem to be equally bad at keeping passengers informed when it goes wrong.

personally Id be very surprised if the Thameslink franchise doesn't go to Govia. It would I imagine be very expensive for the new Thameslink service to operate south of London Bridge with Govia still in charge of Southern.
I reckon look for a very innovative bid from them with a partnership scheme to electrify both the Uckfield and Marshlink lines to resolve the rolling stock shortages.
New Rolling stock to replace the 442s, 455s and 313s

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I reckon look for a very innovative bid from them with a partnership scheme to electrify both the Uckfield and Marshlink lines to resolve the rolling stock shortages.
New Rolling stock to replace the 442s, 455s and 313s

You'll need to duck for the pigs...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
... It would I imagine be very expensive for the new Thameslink service to operate south of London Bridge with Govia still in charge of Southern.

Huh? That statement seems to completely ignore the fact that the two franchises are already due to merge by 2015.

Unless I've completely missed what you mean?

Fincra5

Established Member
Personally i'd like Stagecoach to win. They seem to value their guards more so than Govia.

ert47

Thameslink has been DOO for some time. Like 30yrs.

But there are conductors currently on (some of) the Horsham services from London Bridge, this service going on to TL, will they still be required?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Probably- going DOO requires difficult and expensive negotiation. And obviously putting people out of jobs.

Class377/5

Established Member
But there are conductors currently on (some of) the Horsham services from London Bridge, this service going on to TL, will they still be required?

Currently unknown.

Probably- going DOO requires difficult and expensive negotiation. And obviously putting people out of jobs.

And going through the unions too. Slow process.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
And going through the unions too. Slow process.

Well yes- the unions would be who need to be negotiated with. Most specifically, a company wanting to go DOO needs to find how much money they need to offer the drivers unions (primarily ASLEF) to shaft the guards unions (mainly RMT)... It's obviously more complex than this, but essentially that's what it boils down to.

Status
Not open for further replies.