• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who else managed their first leisure journey today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

superjohn

Today I had my first train trip out since November. It was very much an unnecessary leisure trip and was to York, that being my destination of choice when I just want to go ‘somewhere’.

I started from Ipswich at 0600 and went via Peterborough. I had to revise my plan somewhat on arrival at York as it was cold, very cold! I had originally intended to spend the day there having a leisurely stroll around the city. As it was so cold I grabbed some last minute advances for a filler trip to Newcastle instead, out on TPE and back on XC. On my return I still had over an hour to kill so a took a quick walk around York city centre. The temperature had improved but only slightly. Nonetheless there were lots of people out and plenty sitting in the riverside gardens, Yorkshire folk obviously being made of stronger stuff!

Loadings were generally light throughout the day. Some of the afternoon Anglo Scottish LNER services looked quite full though, probably fully booked to socially distanced capacity.

There were the usual announcements about face coverings, distancing and needing reservations (on LNER) but nothing about essential travel that other posters have reported.

Other things of note:
- On the way up the ECML something in First livery passed the other way. I looked it up on RTT and it was a Hull trains ecs that seemed to have made two round trips from Hull to King‘s Cross during the day. Is this a regular thing to maintain crew competency or are they gearing up to resume services?
- My TPE into Newcastle was routed ‘round the back’ into the North facing bay platform one. Is this a rare occurrence? The crew announced it was due to a broken down train in the station.
- Out of curiosity I gave the LNER at seat food ordering online service a try on the way out. It took a while to establish a password it was happy with but everything worked after that. I was only a few rows away from the cafe bar and the smell of coffee, and then bacon, confirmed my order had gone through! I think I was the only customer they had on the whole journey.
- I came back in LNER first class and there was at seat service of freebies, which I wasn’t expecting. The staff took your order from an offering that was basically the current reduced cafe bar menu. They then brought it to you.
- A off licence application by Sainsbury’s was taped to the old travel centre at York so that answers the question of what‘s happening there. It will make a pleasant change from the usual SSP outlets at the station, particularly as it is quite a long walk to get to any form of ‘proper’ shop in York.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llandudno

Established Member
Today I had my first train trip out since November. It was very much an unnecessary leisure trip and was to York, that being my destination of choice when I just want to go ‘somewhere’.

I started from Ipswich at 0600 and went via Peterborough. I had to revise my plan somewhat on arrival at York as it was cold, very cold! I had originally intended to spend the day there having a leisurely stroll around the city. As it was so cold I grabbed some last minute advances for a filler trip to Newcastle instead, out on TPE and back on XC. On my return I still had over an hour to kill so a took a quick walk around York city centre. The temperature had improved but only slightly. Nonetheless there were lots of people out and plenty sitting in the riverside gardens, Yorkshire folk obviously being made of stronger stuff!

Loadings were generally light throughout the day. Some of the afternoon Anglo Scottish LNER services looked quite full though, probably fully booked to socially distanced capacity.

There were the usual announcements about face coverings, distancing and needing reservations (on LNER) but nothing about essential travel that other posters have reported.

Other things of note:
- On the way up the ECML something in First livery passed the other way. I looked it up on RTT and it was a Hull trains ecs that seemed to have made two round trips from Hull to King‘s Cross during the day. Is this a regular thing to maintain crew competency or are they gearing up to resume services?
- My TPE into Newcastle was routed ‘round the back’ into the North facing bay platform one. Is this a rare occurrence? The crew announced it was due to a broken down train in the station.
- Out of curiosity I gave the LNER at seat food ordering online service a try on the way out. It took a while to establish a password it was happy with but everything worked after that. I was only a few rows away from the cafe bar and the smell of coffee, and then bacon, confirmed my order had gone through! I think I was the only customer they had on the whole journey.
- I came back in LNER first class and there was at seat service of freebies, which I wasn’t expecting. The staff took your order from an offering that was basically the current reduced cafe bar menu. They then brought it to you.
- A off licence application by Sainsbury’s was taped to the old travel centre at York so that answers the question of what‘s happening there. It will make a pleasant change from the usual SSP outlets at the station, particularly as it is quite a long walk to get to any form of ‘proper’ shop in York.
That’s great news about a Sainsbury’s opening up at York, hopefully it will be open until at least 9pm.

The SSP offering is disappointing and expensive, so the addition of a proper shop will be most welcome.
If it is anything like the Sainsbury’s at Piccadilly then you will be able to buy meal deals from around £3, tea/coffee for around £1.50 and be able to buy cans/bottles of beer at half the price of SSP outlets.

It will be interesting see if the booze part of the new store is cordoned off on Saturday evenings though...!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Good news indeed about a Sainsburys appearing at York station, I know there is one around a 10 minute walk away but having one on the station will save that walking if you need something for lunch.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Indeed, although I also notice that the cornish pasty shop has been stripped out, which is a shame because I used to use it occasionally.

superjohn

Indeed, although I also notice that the cornish pasty shop has been stripped out, which is a shame because I used to use it occasionally.
The Duke of York pub had signs up that seemed to suggest it has closed permanently as well. Some further reading has revealed that M&S were originally planning to open a Simply Food store in the old travel centre. I don’t know if it was to be a true M&S or SSP franchise but either way they have pulled out and Sainsbury’s are now taking over the unit.

The opening of either Sainsbury’s or M&S at the station would likely push many of the existing struggling outlets beyond the point of viability.

Llandudno

Established Member
The Duke of York pub had signs up that seemed to suggest it has closed permanently as well. Some further reading has revealed that M&S were originally planning to open a Simply Food store in the old travel centre. I don’t know if it was to be a true M&S or SSP franchise but either way they have pulled out and Sainsbury’s are now taking over the unit.

The opening of either Sainsbury’s or M&S at the station would likely push many of the existing struggling outlets beyond the point of viability.
The Duke of York pub was dreadful though, I could never understand anyone going in there with the fabulous York Tap just around the corner, but I guess the Tap is a little out of view I suppose.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

M&S seems to be struggling a bit. The one in Sheffield only opened for a brief period between lockdown 1 and 2. I'm not aware that the one in Leeds ever reopened.

The Burger Kings don't appear to have reopened at all in any of the stations I pass through regularly.

Costa and Starbucks seem to be holding their own (as is AMT coffee in York) for which I'm grateful when in need of a hot drink.

In terms of York though, my main concern is that the Tap reopens.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I would imagine that the York Tap will probably reopen mid May, it must be a gold mine!

Well, it seemed quite popular, even after COVID. It reopened a few weeks after pub reopenings were allowed though.

Llandudno

Established Member
Well, it seemed quite popular, even after COVID. It reopened a few weeks after pub reopenings were allowed though.
I wonder if the seating area on the Scarborough platform counts as ‘outdoors’ in which case they could legally open next week!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I wonder if the seating area on the Scarborough platform counts as ‘outdoors’ in which case they could legally open next week!
I've heard a rumour that they will.

A small group of us are meeting for a York pub meal (if anyone wishes to join any of these, please see the forum meets section) soon so I'll report back.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

I'm sure it does. If I were Network Rail, I'd be looking at ways to help them expand the outdoor bit. They could use the rental income.

A small group of us are meeting for a York pub meal (if anyone wishes to join any of these, please see the forum meets section) soon so I'll report back.

Splendid news if true !

Llandudno

Established Member

Definitely worth a trip to York then, might have a five minute walk along the river to justify the trip though!

Was thinking about heading to Acton Bridge at some point, nothing the resident that lives there can do about trainspotters now that lockdown is over.

route101

Established Member
M&S seems to be struggling a bit. The one in Sheffield only opened for a brief period between lockdown 1 and 2. I'm not aware that the one in Leeds ever reopened.

The Burger Kings don't appear to have reopened at all in any of the stations I pass through regularly.

Costa and Starbucks seem to be holding their own (as is AMT coffee in York) for which I'm grateful when in need of a hot drink.

In terms of York though, my main concern is that the Tap reopens.
Up here in Scotland, the M & S simply foods in Edinburgh Haymarket and Waverley and Glasgow Central are still shut, only opened a few months last year. SSP in financial difficulty?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Up here in Scotland, the M & S simply foods in Edinburgh Haymarket and Waverley and Glasgow Central are still shut, only opened a few months last year. SSP in financial difficulty?

Either that, or it's just not worth their while to open !

Chriso

I really hope Acton Bridge will be packed out for the next few months

HSP 2

What was the resident at Acton Bridge doing during lockdown....reporting spotters and photographers to the BTP?

I'm not sure about what is going on here, would some one please explain, as I've just looked at Google maps and the houses don't look that close to the station.

Butts

Veteran Member
Live in Scotland so not quite yet, though will be going to Edinburgh next week. I wonder when its possible to do Glasgow to Carlisle?

You can do it now (not legally) - I'm thinking of going to Berwick and Carlisle for a drink in April.

I have gone insane post May 17th with my Son

May 16th Flying Edinburgh to Birmingham

May 17th First Class SAD-PRE and onto Blackpool Pleasure Beach for rides. (Daytrip)

Tue 18th First Class SAD to EUS and onto Premier Inn by LHR (£29 Night 3 Nights)

Wed 19th Chessington World of Adventures

Thu 20th Thorpe Park

Fri 21st BA Club to Belfast & 3 Nights in Express by Holiday Inn.

Mon 24th BA Club back to LHR and 1st Class to SAD.

Weds 26th Alton Towers.

1st Class Avanti the alcohol had better be back - if BA can do it on a plane why not on a train ? - Fares were reasonable with 2 Together Railcard.

Shelled out some serious cash for unlimited Fast Track at theme parks - can't wait.

Probably piss with rain the whole week :E

route101

Established Member
You can do it now (not legally) - I'm thinking of going to Berwick and Carlisle for a drink in April.

I have gone insane post May 17th with my Son

May 16th Flying Edinburgh to Birmingham

May 17th First Class SAD-PRE and onto Blackpool Pleasure Beach for rides. (Daytrip)

Tue 18th First Class SAD to EUS and onto Premier Inn by LHR (£29 Night 3 Nights)

Wed 19th Chessington World of Adventures

Thu 20th Thorpe Park

Fri 21st BA Club to Belfast & 3 Nights in Express by Holiday Inn.

Mon 24th BA Club back to LHR and 1st Class to SAD.

Weds 26th Alton Towers.

1st Class Avanti the alcohol had better be back - if BA can do it on a plane why not on a train ? - Fares were reasonable with 2 Together Railcard.

Shelled out some serious cash for unlimited Fast Track at theme parks - can't wait.

Probably piss with rain the whole week :E

Sounds a busy trip. I was thinking of Edinburgh next week, to meet my sister, after next week I will be busy working!

Great prices with the Premier Inn at LHR.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Style very much cramp to buy the stay local rules in Scotland, which are unfair due to the fact that they are bounded by local authorities so people in the Highlands, borders or Dumfries and Galloway have got miles and miles to play with where is I can't go more than 8 miles from my front door without falling foul of some SNP supporting police officer. Nevertheless when stay-at-home ended a week ago I did manage a tediously doll (what other kind is there) 170 journey from brunstane to Waverley as a friend's garden which I was visiting is served better by trains and it is by buses.

There is a long and rambling list of various bus coach and rail outing's I wish to do when the legislation changes again the end of April, I've just got to get there first without going mad

I have to even stop short on many bus bashing outings locally as so many roots cross county borders

Status
Not open for further replies.