• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who else managed their first leisure journey today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
Style very much cramp to buy the stay local rules in Scotland, which are unfair due to the fact that they are bounded by local authorities so people in the Highlands, borders or Dumfries and Galloway have got miles and miles to play with where is I can't go more than 8 miles from my front door without falling foul of some SNP supporting police officer. Nevertheless when stay-at-home ended a week ago I did manage a tediously doll (what other kind is there) 170 journey from brunstane to Waverley as a friend's garden which I was visiting is served better by trains and it is by buses.

There is a long and rambling list of various bus coach and rail outing's I wish to do when the legislation changes again the end of April, I've just got to get there first without going mad

I have to even stop short on many bus bashing outings locally as so many roots cross county borders
I stay a few stops on train/bus from 2 local authorities, so I may of broken the rules. I wouldn't worry about coming across any enforcement.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
As a very fortunate holder of retired staff free passes, I decided to date a box for today and tomorrow and go for a hurl while my wife is busy with other things. Today's little outing was as follows:

09 15 Hebden Bridge-Dewsbury (2I05, 07 56 Wigan Wallgate-Leeds: 158 752) 17.5 miles
09 57 Dewsbury-Thornaby (1P67, 08 35 Manchester Airport-Redcar Central: 185 108 + 185 151) 82.5 miles
11 37 Thornaby-Newcastle (2W27, 11 18 Nunthorpe-Newcastle: 156 487) 44 miles
14 23 Newcastle-Carlisle (2N21, 14 23 Newcastle-Carlisle: 156 491) 61.5 miles
16 18 Carlisle-Leeds (2H95, 16 18 Carlisle-Leeds: 158 790) 113 miles
19 17 Leeds-Hebden Bridge via Brighouse (2R88, 19 17 Leeds-Wigan North Western: 158 754) 26.5 miles

Total: 345 miles

Locomotives seen en route were:

Leeds: 66 740, D1944.
York: 37 219, 37 422, 43 357/207, 68 030.
NRM, York: 60163, 09 017.
Thirsk: 66 305.
East Boldon: 60 056.
Newcastle: 66 109, 67 006.
Blea Moor: 66 740 (again).
Apperley Bridge: 66 755.
Leeds: 43 207/357 (again).

Watch this space for tomorrow's perambulation (no spoilers!).

Butts

Veteran Member
Sounds a busy trip. I was thinking of Edinburgh next week, to meet my sister, after next week I will be busy working!

Great prices with the Premier Inn at LHR.

Steady on....venturing out of your LA to Edinburgh, I do it every day but I'm working mainly.

PI is a non-refundable rate but to good to turn down and handy for Transport Links.

Was going to stay at Express by Holiday Inn Earls Court 40odd a night incl Brekkie there.

As we are in a PIE in Belfast, 6 in a row of their free but limited Breakfasts would be a bit much.

Anyone got any idea how much an Uber will be from PI Bath Road to Chessington and Thorpe Park - 30 sovs ?

infobleep

Veteran Member
My last purely leisure trip was in December.

Since then I've made semi-regular trips on the train but these have mostly been to or from my support bubble.

I did walk up Blackdown Hill east of Haslemre in February, with a friend but before doing so I had my first vaccination jab in Haslemere.

I might meet up with some friends for pub lunch soon but if they head to Guildford, I won't be needing the train.

Vespa

Established Member
Tue 18th First Class SAD to EUS and onto Premier Inn by LHR (£29 Night 3 Nights)

1st Class Avanti the alcohol had better be back - if BA can do it on a plane why not on a train ? - Fares were reasonable with 2 Together Railcard.
Good price for Premier Inn.

I hope Avanti will be serving alcohol as well, no point booking 1st Class otherwise, let us know if you do get wine and beer served, I intend to hoover up the benefits :D

shredder1

Established Member
Ill take my first trip out on a train tomorrow and have a run over to Liverpool to catch up with the last of the PEP`s before they go and see if any of the new 777`s are knocking around yet.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Not my first leisure trip, but I ended up getting the Pendolino after a long walk in the Lake District, and it was lovely to be able to get a cup of tea on board !

ChrisC

Established Member
Ive done my first train journey today since February last year. Just a short local journey of about 30 minutes each way from Hucknall to Langwith Whaley Thorns on the Robin Hood Line. Good to get my first trips on EMR 170s, although I do remember travelling on them on that route in Central Trains days. I found it quite amusing to see the EMR posters on each station advertising the introduction of new trains on the route. No mention that they are the old trains returning that were on the route 20 years ago, although I must admit they are an improvement on the 156’s.

Enjoyable to be back on a train after 14 months of not using them and also to get some use out of my 3 year Senior Railcard which expires in April next year. The trains in both directions were busier than I had expected with lots of people using Mansfield Station, although it still only an hourly service until next month. Also good to have a long walk around the Poulter Country Park which is adjacent to Langwith Whaley Thorns Station. I walked right through the country park and over footpaths to the village of Whaley where I spent time watching a red kite flying above the village.

Last edited:

D6130

Established Member
Slightly off-topic I know, but I thought that one or two people may be interested in what happened on the second day of my post-lockdown perambulation:

08 33 Hebden Bridge-Chester (1D72, 07 42 Leeds-Chester: 195 101) 63.5 miles
10 21 Chester-Shrewsbury (1J94, 08 05 Holyhead-Shrewsbury: 175 003) 42.5 miles
12 40 Shrewsbury-Hereford (11 31 Manchester Piccadilly- Carmarthen: 175 111) 51 miles
13 41 Hereford-Birmingham New Street via Bromsgrove (172 334) 55 miles
16 03 Birmingham New Street-Leeds (1S51, Plymouth-Edinburgh: 43 303 & 43 366) 113.5 miles
18 17 Leeds-Hebden Bridge (2I86, Leeds-Wigan Wallgate: 158 752) 26.5 miles

Total: 352 miles

Locomotives noted en route:

Collyhurst Street: 09 009.
Warrington Bank Quay: 73 964 (What was that doing stabled in the North end bay at WBQ???)
Warrington Arpley Yard: 66 059.
Shrewsbury: 37 421.
Coleham: 97 302, 97 304.
Birmingham New Street: 43 303, 43 366.
Lawley Street FLT: 66 504.
Burton-on-Trent: Too many....too fast....and I was on the wrong side of the train!
Chesterfield: 66 615.

At least six - and possibly nine - of the new Merseyrail Stadtler class 777 EMUs were stabled in the former Manchester Ship Canal Sidings at Walton Old Junction, South of Warrington.

The new platform 0 at Leeds is now in use.

I'm going for a lie-in tomorrow!

Butts

Veteran Member
Good price for Premier Inn.

I hope Avanti will be serving alcohol as well, no point booking 1st Class otherwise, let us know if you do get wine and beer served, I intend to hoover up the benefits :D

No chance on the Alcohol from Avanti I suspect , but we may strike lucky as it will be post May 17th.

Will be making up for it in the BA Lounges/Flights to and from Belfast.

Premier Inns by Heathrow and Gatwick have been historically cheap in my experience.

Vespa

Established Member
No chance on the Alcohol from Avanti I suspect , but we may strike lucky as it will be post May 17th.

Premier Inns by Heathrow and Gatwick have been historically cheap in my experience.
Look forward to your reviews mate :) I have two weeks comng up in June and debating going to London or elsewhere obviously with all due pandemic considerations.

I have noticed that about Premier Inn prices at Gatwick and Heathrow when I was searching bookings in London, I had to consider the trade offs cheap accommodation v distance with weekly oyster costs to the centre, decided that staying in a dorm is cheaper overall and much closer to the centre, I meet some interesting people from round the world in dorms and hostels, occasionally I do treat myself to a Premier Inn, the cost of 4 nights in Clapham is the same as 2 weeks in Heathrow.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
First leisure trip today and first time using Northern's excellent Explorer 55 Day Ranger (£15.90).

Day trip to Ulverston. Took the 08.18 from Wigan NW (195 131). Fairly quiet throughout.

Spent four and a half hours in Ulverston. Wandered thru town to Ford Park and then up Hoad Hill to the John Barrow Monument where I sat for a little while. Back via the easier route and to Ulverston Canal for a walk to the Bay Horse Hotel for a welcome pint of Cumberland Ale (first draft ale for months). Wandered back to the station.

14.10 to Wigan NW (195 108). Much busier but still had table to myself.

Tickets checked on both journeys.

route101

Established Member
Look forward to your reviews mate :) I have two weeks comng up in June and debating going to London or elsewhere obviously with all due pandemic considerations.

I have noticed that about Premier Inn prices at Gatwick and Heathrow when I was searching bookings in London, I had to consider the trade offs cheap accommodation v distance with weekly oyster costs to the centre, decided that staying in a dorm is cheaper overall and much closer to the centre, I meet some interesting people from round the world in dorms and hostels, occasionally I do treat myself to a Premier Inn, the cost of 4 nights in Clapham is the same as 2 weeks in Heathrow.
I stayed in Wembley Central Travelodge and It was £29 a night. Last July I stayed along from Waterloo and it was £46, in normal times would be over £100 I reckon. I stayed in the YHA St Pancras, never got a good nights sleep!

Vespa

Established Member
I stayed in Wembley Central Travelodge and It was £29 a night. Last July I stayed along from Waterloo and it was £46, in normal times would be over £100 I reckon. I stayed in the YHA St Pancras, never got a good nights sleep!
Thanks for the heads up £29 a night is pretty decent.

I like my own room if possible as always its down to the price, but can do YHA if necessary as I can turn my hearing aid off and sleep like a log using towels to screen out light. :)

Established Member
I haven't yet, although I am planning to drive my "new" Rover 75 to a close friend's house in Herefordshire next month.

As for rail trips, not many are the pipeline because I don't really have any free time these days, but those I do have in mind will feature Merseyrail PEPs and TfW Rail Class 230s, possibly the latter's Mark 4 LHCS as well.

paulmch

I've been waiting to pick up a gift from a shop in London since Christmas lockdown, so I combined it with a trip to see my brother in Stratford. Some patchy mask compliance on the Underground but otherwise it was a relatively stress free experience!

11:04 Waterbeach - King's Cross
12:25 St Pancras - Stratford International
Jubilee Line Stratford - Canada Water
17:03 Canada Water - New Cross Gate
#53 bus New Cross Gate - Elephant & Castle
17:51 Elephant & Castle - St Pancras
18:41 King's Cross - Waterbeach

route101

Established Member
Thanks for the heads up £29 a night is pretty decent.

I like my own room if possible as always its down to the price, but can do YHA if necessary as I can turn my hearing aid off and sleep like a log using towels to screen out light. :)

I have also stayed at the Travelodge at Cricklewood for £29. If you have a zone 1 to 6 travelcard and its easy to get to by tube or train, it makes staying in London affordable.

camflyer

I have also stayed at the Travelodge at Cricklewood for £29. If you have a zone 1 to 6 travelcard and its easy to get to by tube or train, it makes staying in London affordable.

I often find that the Travelodge at Feltham is one of the cheapest in London. Hotel is right next to the railway station for services into Waterloo. Not much around the hotel apart from a McDonalds and Wetherpsoons but if all you need is somewhere to sleep and shower then it's perfectly fine. You could probably find a room at one of the Heathrow Travelodge slightly cheaper but getting in/out of town is less convienient.

Butts

Veteran Member
Having completed my "illegal" trips to Berwick-upon-Tweed and Carlisle I can confirm that the free onboard service in 1st Class was about even. Especially when you have paid pennies for a ticket. The LNER Service outward was quite busy even in 1st Class the other three legs "carriage to yourself"

Avanti have it on the seating though with the Pendelino. Those AZUMA's are like "Ironing Boards on Rails" even in 1st Class. Ergonomically designed my ass !!

However both pale into insignificance when compared to GWR's "end of line" HST's complete with Armchairs. Can be found up here still, disguised as Scotrails "Famous Five" which are as rare as hens teeth.

Berwick was a sedate and relaxing experience compared to Carlisle which was heaving - particularly the queue to get into the 2 Spoons by the Station. It was lovely to have a Lager and Malt chaser in the sunny setting of a Berwick Hotel Garden. No names no pack drill either with not a smartphone or barcode in sight.

route101

Established Member
I often find that the Travelodge at Feltham is one of the cheapest in London. Hotel is right next to the railway station for services into Waterloo. Not much around the hotel apart from a McDonalds and Wetherpsoons but if all you need is somewhere to sleep and shower then it's perfectly fine. You could probably find a room at one of the Heathrow Travelodge slightly cheaper but getting in/out of town is less convienient.
I have noticed the Feltham one come up. Will keep it in mind. I have stayed at the Premier Inn on Bath Road near LHR, don't make the mistake by trying to check in at the wrong one! There is two on Bath Road.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Watch out as I believe there are three Travelodges labelled Heathrow. Two I believe is in the M4 service areas, and where it looks you can access the "Westbound" service area by foot, I'm not too sure with the Eastbound one (there seems to be a road but streetview shouts private road.

I've used Heathrow Central a couple times, it's probably one of the better ones in London for it has AC (and on a hot summer day having AC is a lot better than a window open and a fan). Has plenty of bus routes serving the hotel.

I've never tried Feltham, last few times it's been an option the line has been closed for engineering works

camflyer

Watch out as I believe there are three Travelodges labelled Heathrow. Two I believe is in the M4 service areas, and where it looks you can access the "Westbound" service area by foot, I'm not too sure with the Eastbound one (there seems to be a road but streetview shouts private road.

I've used Heathrow Central a couple times, it's probably one of the better ones in London for it has AC (and on a hot summer day having AC is a lot better than a window open and a fan). Has plenty of bus routes serving the hotel.

I've never tried Feltham, last few times it's been an option the line has been closed for engineering works

I think there are actually four Travelodges which call themselves "Heathrow". The two at the Heston M4 services, the "central" one which isn't central at all and the T5 one at the other end of Bath Rd which would be my choice of the four if using the airport. However, there is always a lot of competition between hotels at Heathrow so you can always get a good deal somewhere. Personally, I quite like the Ibis of the budget end hotels and the 4* hotels can often be booked for reasonable rates.

I've used Feltham a few times when attending the cricket at the Oval or rugby at Twickenham as they are both on the Waterloo line but are far enough away not to have their prices jacked up on event days. There is a decent Travelodge next to Twickenham station but where there is a Six Nations or other bug match on then it becomes central London 5* prices.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
where it looks you can access the "Westbound" service area by foot
Yes, Travelodge Heathrow Heston M4 Westbound is accessible by foot from Cranford Way. There is a bus stop on the 111 bus route on Cranford Way which is good for Heathrow and Hounslow. A while since I have stayed there but did a number of times arriving by bus. I used to stay in Feltham quite often too which is fairly convenient for the station and has a 24 hour Asda underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.