• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who in your opinion has the best TOC to work for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patters1983

Hi

I currently am a driver and have held my key for around 18 months.
I work for Southern Rail and it’s okay but not being from the railway previously I don’t really know any better!
So with that in mind who is the best TOC to work for? Taking into account of the pay, terms and conditions?

Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

notadriver

Established Member
I would say the intercity ones / eurostar have the best work and good to work for.

Quin79

Hi

I currently am a driver and have held my key for around 18 months.
I work for Southern Rail and it’s okay but not being from the railway previously I don’t really know any better!
So with that in mind who is the best TOC to work for? Taking into account of the pay, terms and conditions?

Thank you
I'm hoping to join the ranks at Southern. Have my assessment day coming up. Any tips?

Patters1983

I'm hoping to join the ranks at Southern. Have my assessment day coming up. Any tips?

Sorry mate I did my assessments with London Overground! I was in a talent pool originally and emailed Southern to get the DMI after that I got offered the role. But to be honest with you I found all the answers on this website? What in particular do you need advice? I can help you as much as I can

Red1980

very much horses for courses. What i will say is if you're looking fr paradise at any TOC it simply doesn't exist hahah.

Holt0121

I left southern last January having been there for about 3 years. I moved to LNER, and whilst the driving is better with less stopping the depot isn’t as good and the increased amount of nights shifts aren’t good. I don’t think you’ll ever find the “best” as they all have their pros and cons.

RJ

Established Member
It depends on what role you do. I worked for an intercity TOC and the T&Cs were pretty bland. No unsocial hours enhancements, Sundays inside, fixed term contract which kept being extended meaning no free travel on that TOC, constant staff shortages meaning increased workload and so on. The base rate was higher than average for the role however.

Now I work for a commuter TOC and the T&Cs are much better, gold plated even and the pay is a lot higher.

Horses for courses.

notadriver

Established Member
It depends on what role you do. I worked for an intercity TOC and the T&Cs were pretty bland. No unsocial hours enhancements, Sundays inside, fixed term contract which kept being extended meaning no free travel on that TOC, constant staff shortages meaning increased workload and so on. The base rate was higher than average for the role however.

Now I work for a commuter TOC and the T&Cs are much better, gold plated even and the pay is a lot higher.

Horses for courses.
Seems that if your taken on as fixed term contract (not directly for the toc) the pay & t+cs are crap. This is usually for station roles. I’ve yet to see fixed term minimum wage contracts for safety critical on board staff.

RJ

Established Member
Seems that if your taken on as fixed term contract (not directly for the toc) the pay & t+cs are crap. This is usually for station roles. I’ve yet to see fixed term minimum wage contracts for safety critical on board staff.

The pay rate and T&Cs were the same as for permanent staff, just fixed term staff were not entitled to free travel on the TOC. This was for an on board customer service role, employed directly by the TOC.

If you work through an agency then you may or may not get as good a deal. Round my way the agency staff get paid a lot more than the TOC staff for doing the same job.

Now I work as station staff, with a unique contract that has most of the antiquated T&Cs that haven't yet been sold off. Regardless of the "public perception" of the TOC, employment wise they are very good. I always read with interest why people recommend one TOC to work for over another.

Status
Not open for further replies.