• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who Makes Railway Signals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E_Reeves

Established Member
Hi all,

Just curious about who makes UK railway signals? Is it a mixture of companies or one that solely makes them? I am enquiring because I remember seeing 'Royal British Legion Industries' on a banner repeater at Banbury.
Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
One major supplier was Westinghouse of Chippenham, which became Invensys, now part of Siemens.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Hi all,

Just curious about who makes UK railway signals? Is it a mixture of companies or one that solely makes them? I am enquiring because I remember seeing 'Royal British Legion Industries' on a banner repeater at Banbury.
Any help appreciated.

Thanks

They might make the printed plates identifying the signal but not the signal

alxndr

Established Member
There's a variety of different companies.

Dorman, VMS, and Collis spring to mind, but there are probably others.

lincolnshire

Royal British Legion manufacture the enamel plates on signals with the signal number etc information on them. As each plate is made individually bespoke for each signal.
I think they will make any enamelled sign for anyone not just the railway.

Railsigns

Established Member
Royal British Legion manufacture the enamel plates on signals with the signal number etc information on them. As each plate is made individually bespoke for each signal.
I think they will make any enamelled sign for anyone not just the railway.

RBLI does make signs for rail and road purposes, but they do not make enamelled signs.

Monty

Established Member
Unipart Rail also make signalling equipment, as far as I am aware there are a number of firms that provide such services.

MarkyT

Established Member
Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
RBLI does make signs for rail and road purposes, but they do not make enamelled signs.
Are new enamelled signs fitted anywhere these days, except where an "old-fashioned" sign type is desired? There are surely more modern and cheaper methods of producing them these days.

Railsigns

Established Member
In most instances, the signal head, signal post and ID plate of any signal will have been manufactured by three different companies. The associated location case, the relays etc. inside it and the wiring and cables will have been manufactured by at least another three different companies. No one company has a monopoly on the manufacture of any of these items.

Are new enamelled signs fitted anywhere these days, except where an "old-fashioned" sign type is desired? There are surely more modern and cheaper methods of producing them these days.

All the new signs are aluminium sheet with coloured vinyl and some have retro reflective numbers and letters on them. Mostly black background and white letters/numbers. All our blue class 380 stop boards are RBL made

Status
Not open for further replies.