• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who on here dislikes football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm not so sure this is true anymore, football is just one of a myriad of interests that people engage in. Its really not considered unusual for people not to follow football anymore.

Not as much as it was, no, but still surprisingly prevalent. Mostly by those with closed minds

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndrewE

Established Member
In what way is football "forced" on folk?
The BBC waste quite a lot of air-time (and my licence fee) on it when they could be covering more news items for a start.
About the only bit I would enjoy would be the community singing: It really is (has been proved to be) therapeutic but it's a shame about the tribalism that seems to go with it at football grounds.
When football-obsessed friends say "we won today" I can't help replying "I didn't know you were in the team."

Bantamzen

Established Member
The BBC waste quite a lot of air-time (and my licence fee) on it when they could be covering more news items for a start.
About the only bit I would enjoy would be the community singing: It really is (has been proved to be) therapeutic but it's a shame about the tribalism that seems to go with it at football grounds.
When football-obsessed friends say "we won today" I can't help replying "I didn't know you were in the team."

All sport is tribalism, it is an almost direct replacement for war, it replaces our very basic and fundamental animal territorial instincts. I know some rugby union fans berate football fans for this, but then admire the All Blacks Haka, which is literally a Pacific Island war dance. However the vast majority of us footie fans are good natured with our tribalism, and make amends straight after the game over drinks and banter.

Just on your point about the BBC though, they have focused less and less on football over the years as they have lost most contracts to show it live. So I have to disagree with your notion that they are wasting time and money on it, they now spend less time & money on football than they ever have done.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Aye no doubt it'll happen in due course, just a case of waiting for the relevant generation to be replaced!

The times they are a-changing! :D

Members in what sense? Curious

Football fans can be "members" in many ways. A season ticket for example is effectively a short term investment into the team, and some clubs have 5, 10 or even 25 year season tickets. Then many clubs actually have membership clubs, away travel clubs etc. But in the wider sense when football fans describe their clubs as "we" or "us", it relates to an emotional connection because sport is a lot about emotions.

Established Member
As for the gay/girl thing, never mind watching football, in the 70's when I was at school I was determined to take up hockey, and had to play with the girls. Fortunately other lads did eventually join in and we got a mixed team going, but the number of times I heard "hockey? It's a girls game" - if I got a pound....

Mind you, when they see players carted off to A+E with split lips, broken ankles, twisted fingers, even a minor fractured skull in one instance (no names, but yours truly springs to mind) I do wonder...I think the "girls" image wouldn't have appeared if the game was called "hardball" and not "hockey".
Our hockey coach had a simple retort for the rugby players who said hockey was a girls game:
You throw a rugby ball at me, I'll hit a hockey ball at you and we'll see who moves first.

AndrewE

Established Member
Just on your point about the BBC though, they have focused less and less on football over the years as they have lost most contracts to show it live. So I have to disagree with your notion that they are wasting time and money on it, they now spend less time & money on football than they ever have done.
It's still too much for me though!
However I do recognise that for some people it seems to provide the only thing that they belong to (or through which they can "achieve" something) so I suppose that it's a necessary evil.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I remember being called “gay” and “a girl,” at school solely because I didn’t find football interesting.

I’ve always preferred rugby, but didn’t go to the kind of school that bothered to play it.
Whereas I loathed rugby, having been kicked in the head in my first ever game at school when the scrum collapsed - I'd been made hooker. Call me the Unhappy Hooker :lol:

bramling

Veteran Member

Lol.

Reminds me of someone I know who unfriended someone on Facebook after a conversation during which Chelsea were criticised. Pathetic.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Lol.

Reminds me of someone I know who unfriended someone on Facebook after a conversation during which Chelsea were criticised. Pathetic.
You have to be careful on here if you ever cast Chelsea in a less than perfect light too, as I found to my cost when I opined once that John Terry was less than an admirable human being!

krus_aragon

Established Member
For a start, it's the UKs "national sport". Who appointed it? I don't remember having a vote on the matter.
It's a silly analogy, but few people had a vote on English being the national language, either. (It's a de facto national sport rather than a de jure one.)

West of Offa's Dyke, we've got the odd situation where many (most) people would describe rugby as the national sport, even though there are more football players in the country.

muddythefish

On Moderation
My personal and professional life has revolved around football. There was nothing better than being a player, the anticipation of the game, pulling on your footy boots, running round, beating players and scoring goals.

Sadly my playing career was brought to an end by a severe knee injury and although I still love the game,I don't get anything like the same enjoyment watching as playing. I attend a few matches a season watching the famous blue and white halves of Blackburn Rovers, and a occasionally watch Match of the Day on TV, but it's not the same as the joy of playing.

Over the years, I've met a few people (though not many) who don't like football (usually rugger types) but there was always something odd about them. So I've come to the conclusion that folk who don't like football are a bit strange, which might be unfair, but there you go.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not as much as it was, no, but still surprisingly prevalent. Mostly by those with closed minds
As the old saying goes, minds are a bit like parachutes: they work better when open!

These days, it's unusual to be a geek who happens to also like football, but then when I was at school it was the geeky part that I kept hidden. If I was 20 years younger I'd probably be a closeted football fan and openly geeky (and not just because my team embarrassed themselves earlier today)!

I do recall that the "Football" thread has a note in the OP that requests that those who dislike football don't clog up that thread with moans about it. It therefore seems only fair that those of us who are football fans don't try to convert or ridicule those who dislike the sport.

pieguyrob

Never liked football, was always the last to get picked at school for a team. By secondary school, in particular the last 2 years of, they gave us more choice as to what we could do.
Became rather good at badminton as it was inside and warm!
Prefer to watch cricket on the telebox.

nlogax

Established Member
Wouldn't say I actively dislike football, but I just don't care about it at all. In the same light I don't care for strangers using football in order to strike up casual conversation. "What team do you support?" is usually met with "I don't".. bit awkward.

Bantamzen

Established Member
It's still too much for me though!
However I do recognise that for some people it seems to provide the only thing that they belong to (or through which they can "achieve" something) so I suppose that it's a necessary evil.

Its really not an "evil", just something you don't like.

For a start, it's the UKs "national sport". Who appointed it? I don't remember having a vote on the matter.

Well it is one of the most popular sports in this country, so that might be a reason. But being our national sport doesn't mean that you have to take an interest or like the sport, its really not compulsory.

J-2739

Established Member
I don't know how off topic this is, but I'm just asking for advice on how I could get back to being engaged in football, like I was about three years ago. My interest had dropped recently due to other commitments (GCSEs, etc.), but everything has calmed down a bit, so I would like to renew my interest. Is there any best ways I can?

Calthrop

Established Member
Am pleased to find a considerable number of responders on this thread, prepared to let it be known that they have no liking for / interest in sport in general, or football in particular. I'm amongst that number; have always had utterly zero talent for taking part in sport, or wish to do so -- and sport as something to follow / take an interest in / be a partisan of my nation's team, or any other team: bores me to tears, and has always done so. I don't actively hate sport -- think I can perceive "with my head", why it's something which very many people (predominantly but by no means exclusively, of the male gender -- if that can be said without inviting accusations of sexism) find exciting, absorbing and fascinating. I see that phenomenon as being in the main, wholesome and positive; but for me, it holds no interest whatsoever -- hence my begging, as the man said, "please, 'include me out' ".

scotrail158713

Established Member
I don't know how off topic this is, but I'm just asking for advice on how I could get back to being engaged in football, like I was about three years ago. My interest had dropped recently due to other commitments (GCSEs, etc.), but everything has calmed down a bit, so I would like to renew my interest. Is there any best ways I can?
I find going to a game is the best. It could be any level you want - amateurs in the public park right through to the Premier League.
I think there may also be some games live on BBC TV in the FA Cup this weekend if you’d rather watch a game on TV.

najaB

Veteran Member
I'd take cricket over football any day of the week. Five days if it's a Test Match! :D

Bevan Price

Established Member
At school, I used to wish I was good at football, but I usually found myself in the leftovers' reserves. I have always had poor brain to hands/feet to ball coordination, be it football, cricket or snooker, so I would have been a negative asset to a football team. I quite like to watch football - in moderation, but if anyone asks who I support, my answer is St. Helens (Rugby League), although I have not watched a live match since they moved to their new ground (I could easily walk to their old ground.)
The main think I hate about football is that it has been somewhat ruined by the extravagant money they get from subscription-only TV channels. Too many overpaid prima donna players, and smaller clubs often cannot develop successful teams; every time they find quality players, they tend to get "poached" by the likes "Moneybags United / City, etc.

alexjames10

On Moderation
First up, I will point out that post 35 above is a wholly correct analysis.

In response to the poster above who finds it a tad awkward to respond to the question “which team do you support” I suggest the following reply for future engagements.

“In common with the 98%, or thereabouts, of the UK population who do not support a professional football team, I wonder why you think that I’m a member of that tiny minority”.

That will flummox the questioner.

And that’s because the questioner is vastly likely to be a fake supporter. One can only support a professional team by contributing financially and/or vocally. I do both, as do most supporters. Shouting at a TV in a pub does not constitute vocal support. The players cannot hear you. And claiming that paying for a Sky sub is financial support is entirely meretricious. About a tenner per year, at most, of UK Sky subs reach the teams that the sad sack tellymuppets pretend to support. If such trivial sums are to be considered then I’m a Barnsley FC supporter. One of the many problems with that notion is that I don’t know where Barnsley is. Somewhere in Yorkshire is the best I can do without checking a map. Having paid them for a pair of tickets, I turned up there once during their brief tenure in the PL. A mate did the driving from London thus I had no input.

Thus it’s pleasantly easy to destroy the team supporting credentials of most proponents. Man Utd fakes are particularly fun. Just to get back on to a rail topic, when you next come across one of their zillions of fake supporters, just ask him, or possibly her, what the destinations are of the trams that stop at Old Trafford. You are remotely unlikely to get a correct answer. Just about any genuine supporter will know.

Status
Not open for further replies.