• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who on here dislikes football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
That would drift toward the territory of basketball, where teams can expect to score roughly 100 points each (2 or 3 points at a time) yet be within a few points of each other at the end. If the teams are going to be within one score of each other at the end (as they spend much of the game trading scores), I sometimes wonder "why bother with the first three quarters: just leap straight into the final quarter?"
Yes, it would make more sense for basketball to have four sets and maybe a shorter decider! Just imagine if tennis played for points rather than games, Federer 72, Nadal 69*. Mind you some might prefer that??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
Yes, it would make more sense for basketball to have four sets and maybe a shorter decider! Just imagine if tennis played for points rather than games, Federer 72, Nadal 69*. Mind you some might prefer that??
"Game to Miss Hunter-Dunn. Miss Hammerfest leads by two games to one in the third set, having won the first by eighteen games to sixteen, lost the second twenty-five to twenty-seven." - Michael Flanders

najaB

Veteran Member
I sometimes wonder "why bother with the first three quarters: just leap straight into the final quarter?"
Why bother with the first 57 laps if the leader's cars are just going to be side by side going into the last lap? Why bother with the first 90m of the 100m sprint? Why bother with the first three legs of the 4x100 relay? ...

krus_aragon

Established Member
Why bother with the first 57 laps if the leader's cars are just going to be side by side going into the last lap? Why bother with the first 90m of the 100m sprint? Why bother with the first three legs of the 4x100 relay? ...
I appreciate the point you're making, but in all those events, you've got a field of competitors rather than two teams.

Plus, all those distance-based events exist in various different flavours (from sprint to marathon). Is there an equivalent for basketball, like 5-a-side football or rugby sevens?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I hardly ever watch TV these days, but when I do it does seem difficult to escape it, especially if you're watching the news. If you don't like football then simply don't watch a channel that's showing it. In the days of on demand TV it's not exactly hard.
I think most people notice things they dislike more than things they like... I feel like whenever I turn the TV on there's some sort of singing or dancing contest going on, or maybe a property show if it's daytime. The actual % of time in the schedules dedicated to this content is tiny.

317 forever

Established Member
Football seems contrived. It is just a game with a piece of plastic kicked within a pitch but without many goals even being scored.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
o_Oo_Oo_O
You're not alone! While it is somehow fun to play I really can't stand watching it. 90 minutes of not much at all going on, and maybe 2 or 3 goals. Unless it ends 0-0, which is not uncommon.

But, there are other sport I find a lot more interesting. Cross country skiing e.g., great sport!
I love football... in highlights reels. Watching an entire match on tv? Better things to do! But it’s harder than ever to see the edited highlights without inadvertently finding out the result.
Many moons ago, when all top-flight matches kicked-off at 3pm, my dad studiously avoided market stalls when shopping with my mum in St Albans. (Their radios would always be blasting out live commentary on games). One particular season, Liverpool were facing West Ham, widely expected to be the top game on Match Of The Day.
So, later that night, Mum takes a book, bids us goodnight and says ‘enjoy your footie, boys’. I panic and say ‘don’t tell us the Liverpool result!!!’
‘Course not’ she says
‘You won’t see any goals, though....’
o_O

Calthrop

Established Member
Now was she truly clueless; or a football-hater pretending greater cluelessness than was in fact the case, in order to spoil your fun?

Calthrop

Established Member
The other day, my brother had on the radio while I was around, a football commentary; which I was trying mentally to "tune out", but there penetrated to me by chance, a remark by the commentator to the effect that the particular team's ground from which he was reporting, was generally acknowledged to have "the best atmosphere in the whole Premiership League" -- meaning, I suppose, the best for enthusiastic yet non-malicious rivalry between respective teams' supporters. I couldn't help thinking: "good grief, they micro-analyse and copiously burble on about the tiniest and most peripheral minutiae concerning this topic; and seemingly the devotees in their huge numbers, lap it all up and beg for more. What's wrong with people?"

After a moment's reflection, I think it got more into perspective for me: this stuff doesn't hurt anybody; and "enthusiasts will be enthusiastic". Really, it's no madder than people like us disputing over -- say -- whether the Severn Valley, or the Gloucestershire Warwickshire, is the better railway, and why; re lore like this, "normal" or "real" people would think, "who on earth cares?". It can just gall a bit, that one barmy hobby holds many millions of people in thrall -- and appreciation of it is reckoned by many, a test of true manhood -- and its votaries will happily discuss / listen to discussion, endlessly, about the most way-out dotting of i's and crossing of t's concerning the subject; whilst those keen on our own -- objectively no more barmy -- pursuit, tend to be scorned and mocked as sad nerds, overgrown schoolboys, and so on.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Now was she truly clueless; or a football-hater pretending greater cluelessness than was in fact the case, in order to spoil your fun?
No, she was clueless... she did watch the England matches when the World Cup came around, though

Journeyman

Established Member
It can just gall a bit, that one barmy hobby holds many millions of people in thrall -- and appreciation of it is reckoned by many, a test of true manhood -- and its votaries will happily discuss / listen to discussion, endlessly, about the most way-out dotting of i's and crossing of t's concerning the subject; whilst those keen on our own -- objectively no more barmy -- pursuit, tend to be scorned and mocked as sad nerds, overgrown schoolboys, and so on.

This is absolutely spot on and precisely why I loathe football so much. The people who are massively into it are extremely dismissive of the people who aren't, and can be extremely hostile on occasion. I've never felt the need for the tribal identity of it all, nor the macho culture that comes with it.

Many hobbies are baffling to those who aren't involved, but quite why football has such a favoured status is beyond me.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Many hobbies are baffling to those who aren't involved, but quite why football has such a favoured status is beyond me.

I do wonder if one of the problems this board has with football is because it is not, for most fans, a solitary pursuit. Instead it is an afternoon out with your mates, a few beers, a bit of laugh, a chance to call a grown many a chunt and, perhaps, see an enjoyable game of football break out! Ok maybe not the last one...........

whilst those keen on our own -- objectively no more barmy -- pursuit, tend to be scorned and mocked as sad nerds, overgrown schoolboys, and so on.

You should meet football programme or badge collectors or ground hoppers. Sad nerds? They make train spotters look like normal people!

Honestly, the comparisons between football fans and spotters isnt that wide of the mark. The male obsessive gene can really kick in!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I do wonder if one of the problems this board has with football is because it is not, for most fans, a solitary pursuit.

Even for those who are solitary and don't like tribalism, there's an increasing trend of ground hopping. That is, to not necessarily support a team but to actively take in as many grounds as possible, generally in the lower leagues.

Of course, you still need to like football and its culture, etc. I would do it far more if I had the time.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Even for those who are solitary and don't like tribalism, there's an increasing trend of ground hopping. That is, to not necessarily support a team but to actively take in as many grounds as possible, generally in the lower leagues.

Of course, you still need to like football and its culture, etc. I would do it far more if I had the time.

It is good fun! Some people do take it very seriously mind and some of them are VERY odd but harmless. It is that male obsessive gene again ;)

scotrail158713

Established Member

It’s like anything really. Some people take it very seriously and some just do it occasionally. Like I’ve got a goal of visiting all 6 East Lothian football grounds this season so technically I’m a groundhopper. It’s been very enjoyable so far - still got 2 to go (1 soon as going to 1 on February 1st).

bramling

Veteran Member
I do wonder if one of the problems this board has with football is because it is not, for most fans, a solitary pursuit. Instead it is an afternoon out with your mates, a few beers, a bit of laugh, a chance to call a grown many a chunt and, perhaps, see an enjoyable game of football break out!

Solitary pursuits are in no way a bad thing. Some of the unhappiest people I know are those whose leisure pursuits are what might be described as “social”, and they spiral into boredom and depression when on their own for whatever reason.

A lot of people would benefit from having a solitary hobby or two, especially things which don’t cost hefty sums of money to pursue.

Personally, I see enough of people at work, and working shift work as many will know this means the default answer to anything is “no”, it can be difficult enough to make times match up even with the other half! ;)

As regards those who prefer to be on their own, I’ve found this tends to be related to whether someone was brought up as an only child or with siblings. It seems to be the case that those used to having had siblings around them cope less well with being on their own, whilst many only children relish it. Whether this has a bearing on hobbies in later life I couldn’t say.

Personally I find it a far more enriching use of time to sit and read a book or watch a documentary than sit on a train chanting rubbish, thumping tables and slurping beer, but each to their own I guess.

Last edited:

GrimShady

Established Member
I know a group of people whose life literally revolves around the game.

There are so many technical wonders in this world yet people choose to spend time watching men kick a bit of plastic around grass.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I don't care for football. Watching some overpaid primadonnas earning my years salary (and more) for an hour and a halfs work pains me.
A friend prefers watching non-league football. He says you see a better game.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Solitary pursuits are in no way a bad thing. Some of the unhappiest people I know are those whose leisure pursuits are what might be described as “social”, and they spiral into boredom and depression when on their own for whatever reason.

A lot of people would benefit from having a solitary hobby or two, especially things which don’t cost hefty sums of money to pursue.

Personally, I see enough of people at work, and working shift work as many will know this means the default answer to anything is “no”, it can be difficult enough to make times match up even with the other half! ;)

As regards those who prefer to be on their own, I’ve found this tends to be related to whether someone was brought up as an only child or with siblings. It seems to be the case that those used to having had siblings around them cope less well with being on their own, whilst many only children relish it. Whether this has a bearing on hobbies in later life I couldn’t say.

Personally I find it a far more enriching use of time to sit and read a book or watch a documentary than sit on a train chanting rubbish, thumping tables and slurping beer, but each to their own I guess.

I was brought up with several siblings and step siblings. Perfectly happy to be on my own or hang a round with a group. Personally I think the dislike of football here is because it is popular, involves groups of people and sometimes groups of people having loud fun. I think this is because it is often hard to find a group of people with an interest in trains although it might be easier now with the internet. Walk into a new office and try to start a conversation about trains in the detail many here would and see what happens. Try that with football and you have, most of the time, an "in". I think that is the issue.

As an aside I quite like slurping beer ( it is a big part of going to the match for me because I quite like beer) but I also like reading books. Sometimes I like to read a book AND slurp beer. Sometimes I like to read a book AND slurp beer AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS I also think there is an issue here with threat assessment. Posters seem unable to gauge when a situation is actually dangerous.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Personally I think the dislike of football here is because it is popular, involves groups of people and sometimes groups of people having loud fun.
Possibly, but in my case I far prefer being part of a rugby crowd rather than a football crowd. (And that's a separate issue to preferring to watch rugby rather than watch football, which I've already described upthread.)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Possibly, but in my case I far prefer being part of a rugby crowd rather than a football crowd. (And that's a separate issue to preferring to watch rugby rather than watch football, which I've already described upthread.)

Rugby crowds seem so sanitised and jolly hokey sticks to me. I find them dull and lifeless and what passes for atmosphere as bland, passionless and really quite middle class and boring. I have been to big Rugby games and never once felt that roar you get at football when something happens or found a trydown deliver the kind of noise a goal does. No one stands up and offers a tirade against the linesman, the referee or their own players and management! Whats wrong with these people? As for the singing. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. No humour, no fun, no aggression. Nothing. Just droning nonsense.

The most impressed I have ever been at Rugby is with the Welsh signing "Land of my fathers". Impressive. Incredible. For 2 minutes. Then nothing. Not even Men of Harlech.

It just doesn't compare. Sorry.

( I loved playing rugby. It is a fantastic, hard, physical, aggressive demanding game. I just didn't fit in with the faux gentlemanly behaviour and the formal stuffiness of Rugby clubs. It bored me. It is my weekend. I am not wearing a tie or a blazer. I am not going to behave like an obsequious school boy. I call no one sir. If I think you are wrong I will tell you and will keep telling you and if I lose I am going home in the huff and kicking the cat not standing about in the rain applauding you off and saying what a jolly good game it was.)

krus_aragon

Established Member
@DarloRich I think we've had a similar conversation about rugby crowds in the past (so I won't retread all that in a football thread). My experiences of them west of Offa's Dyke don't match to your tales of ties and blazers, but I probably wouldn't enjoy it much if they were all like that!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
@DarloRich I think we've had a similar conversation about rugby crowds in the past (so I won't retread all that in a football thread). My experiences of them west of Offa's Dyke don't match to your tales of ties and blazers, but I probably wouldn't enjoy it much if they were all like that!

I don't claim to be an expert but I found the whole club atmosphere really odd. It was just very old fashioned. if i was a professional player then absolutely dress in club wear when representing the club. If you are a bloke turning out for the 3rd XV .......................

( which actually was the best fun because it was fun the 1st XV was SERIOUS)

PS I was being slightly fatuous but not about the Welsh singing. Absolutely fantastic, bursting with national pride and passion and VOLUME. Makes Twickers look like a nursery school!

A friend prefers watching non-league football. He says you see a better game.

I'd definitely agree with that. It's far more entertaining to watch than a Premier league match. The players actually try to put in effort sometimes. Like I said, football can be genuinely thrilling, just not when it's played by overpaid morons with incredibly low pain tolerance.

If you're looking for a match that's actually entertaining, don't necessarily limit yourself to non league games. In my experience League 1 and 2 games can also be quite fun to watch.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Rugby crowds seem so sanitised and jolly hokey sticks to me. I find them dull and lifeless and what passes for atmosphere as bland, passionless and really quite middle class and boring. I have been to big Rugby games and never once felt that roar you get at football when something happens or found a trydown deliver the kind of noise a goal does. No one stands up and offers a tirade against the linesman, the referee or their own players and management! Whats wrong with these people? As for the singing. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. No humour, no fun, no aggression. Nothing. Just droning nonsense.

The most impressed I have ever been at Rugby is with the Welsh signing "Land of my fathers". Impressive. Incredible. For 2 minutes. Then nothing. Not even Men of Harlech.

It just doesn't compare. Sorry.

( I loved playing rugby. It is a fantastic, hard, physical, aggressive demanding game. I just didn't fit in with the faux gentlemanly behaviour and the formal stuffiness of Rugby clubs. It bored me. It is my weekend. I am not wearing a tie or a blazer. I am not going to behave like an obsequious school boy. I call no one sir. If I think you are wrong I will tell you and will keep telling you and if I lose I am going home in the huff and kicking the cat not standing about in the rain applauding you off and saying what a jolly good game it was.)
Yep. Nothing beats when I was at Hampden in September and the guy behind me told Andrew Robertson to get “through him” when Kevin de Bruyne us the ball. :D

greyman42

Established Member
I don't care for football. Watching some overpaid primadonnas earning my years salary (and more) for an hour and a halfs work pains me.
They get paid the going rate for the skillset they bring to the company they work for. They also work far more than one and a half hours a week and work some pretty unsocial hours at times. They don't have much union protection and usually face having their employment terminated by their mid 30s.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
They get paid the going rate for the skillset they bring to the company they work for. They also work far more than one and a half hours a week and work some pretty unsocial hours at times. They don't have much union protection and usually face having their employment terminated by their mid 30s.

If I earnt their money I could have finished in my 30s. I bet they're not answering the alarm clock at 2am to shunt a load of wagons around!

Status
Not open for further replies.