• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who owned the depots at sectorisation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertclark125

Established Member
British Rail went down the sectorisation route on 5th January 1982. Obviously the rolling stock on that date belonged to the sectors, as did marketing, and the timetableing of services. The staffing to drive the trains, and the station staff belonged to the regions.

But what about the depots? At sectorisation, did the depots, such as Laira in Plymouth, Eastfield in Glasgow, Landore in Swansea, pass to the sectors, or did these remain with the regions?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
From memory only as no-one has answered: each depot had an owner, but some did work for more than one sector - not very different from today. Neville Hill was one such.
Not sure freight shared with anyone though.

falcon

British Rail went down the sectorisation route on 5th January 1982. Obviously the rolling stock on that date belonged to the sectors, as did marketing, and the timetableing of services. The staffing to drive the trains, and the station staff belonged to the regions.

But what about the depots? At sectorisation, did the depots, such as Laira in Plymouth, Eastfield in Glasgow, Landore in Swansea, pass to the sectors, or did these remain with the regions?
What do you mean by 'sectors' in 1982. I cannot remember anything like that?

Aictos

Established Member
What do you mean by 'sectors' in 1982. I cannot remember anything like that?

This may give you some information to what the OP was asking for passenger purposes mind you:

Upon sectorisation in 1982, three passenger sectors were created: InterCity, operating principal express services; London & South East (renamed Network SouthEast in 1986) operating commuter services in the London area; and Provincial (renamed Regional Railways in 1989) responsible for all other passenger services. In the metropolitan counties, local services were managed by the Passenger Transport Executives.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'm not certain, but I think it was sectors - certainly the InterCity depots would tend to have big signs on saying "InterCity ( depot name ) Depot", complete with the swallow logo.

The NSE ones certainly did.

So it stands to reason the rest were similarly distributed according to whichever sector had the biggest position with regard to each individual depot.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
The sectors didn’t take full control of the depots or their fleet in 1982. It took several years for the Regional M&EE organisations to be run down, the sectors to get more involved and it wasn’t until 1987 that the Regions effectively lost control of both their fleet and the depots.

Even then there was a matrix management set up with the CM&EE Derby, a residual regional set up and all the sectors, which lasted until 1990-2, depending on the activity.

From 1987 the sectors (and sub sectors) started seriously retreating to their own depots, which put multi sector depots at increasing risk as their workload decreased, pushing more cost onto the “owning” sub-sector. There were some bad (for the whole railway) decisions made as a result of this.

falcon

I'm not certain, but I think it was sectors - certainly the InterCity depots would tend to have big signs on saying "InterCity ( depot name ) Depot", complete with the swallow logo.

The NSE ones certainly did.

So it stands to reason the rest were similarly distributed according to whichever sector had the biggest position with regard to each individual depot.
No swallow until the late 80's early 90's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.