• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who owns 'dumped' freight stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
A surreal sight in Washwood Heath yard at the minute is a fair number of what I think are steel coil carriers parked sideways and shoulder to shoulder across the sidings: at a 90 degree angle to the direction that the sidings run. They can’t be seen from passing trains because they are right at the back of the yard and hidden behind other wagon rakes, but travelling along the A47 Heartlands Parkway affords a good view. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I first saw them. You have to wonder where they found the time and a crane powerful enough to swing them round to arrange them in such a way.

talltim

Established Member
A surreal sight in Washwood Heath yard at the minute is a fair number of what I think are steel coil carriers parked sideways and shoulder to shoulder across the sidings: at a 90 degree angle to the direction that the sidings run. They can’t be seen from passing trains because they are right at the back of the yard and hidden behind other wagon rakes, but travelling along the A47 Heartlands Parkway affords a good view. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I first saw them. You have to wonder where they found the time and a crane powerful enough to swing them round to arrange them in such a way.
From this thread on RMWeb it appears they are ex Rover KSAs which have had their bogies removed for use elsewhere. Seems a bit a of a wast of good sidings tho.

northernrail

[/QUOTE]Find an abandoned loco first?

I too have seen these, then again I think there are more towards Manchester, I know there is a signal planted on a rusted over track around there, why not rip up the rails around it is what I don't get.[/QUOTE]

Do you know where any of that is?

In another thread with HSTpower we thought of a rail UK Forums Preservation Society for saving loco's from the scrapman

krus_aragon

Established Member
One waggon (freightliner hopper?) appeared in a loop on the Cambrian just south of Sutton Bridge Junction some months ago, and was still stood there when I last passed by. I'd like to know the poor little thing's story.

I assume that the rake of waggons is still languishing at Llandudno Junction. The freight sidings behind the station are somehow for the exclusive use of EWS/DB (so I dimly recall). Some years back, there were grumblings about the fact that they denied anyone else permission to use them, yet didn't use them theirselves. When NR pressed them about it, a rake of waggons were stabled there to make a point. Weeds and long grass then went about hiding them!

43021HST

Established Member
I'm surprised no ones mentioned the two abandoned class 86s as you leave Crewe for London.

Anyone know why their there.

As you leave Doncaster its always a treat to see what ever is sitting in the yards south of the station.

Attachments

• S6306210.jpg
    S6306210.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 202

1V53

One waggon (freightliner hopper?) appeared in a loop on the Cambrian just south of Sutton Bridge Junction some months ago, and was still stood there when I last passed by. I'd like to know the poor little thing's story.

!

Still there today!

Freightliner have regular flows up the Marches from Newport to Shrewsbury, round the curve towards Wolves. If a train gets a problem with a hot axle box etc it tends to run at slow speed to Sutton Bridge, then ditch the offending wagon in the siding by the start of the Cambrian line. I recall two of these that were there for months last year.

Presumably eventually they bung a skate under the offending axle and drag it back somewhere to be repaired.

Odd that they can afford to leave demic stock sat around for so long though. Passenger stock is usually rescued within hours or a day or two

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Still there today!

Freightliner have regular flows up the Marches from Newport to Shrewsbury, round the curve towards Wolves. If a train gets a problem with a hot axle box etc it tends to run at slow speed to Sutton Bridge, then ditch the offending wagon in the siding by the start of the Cambrian line. I recall two of these that were there for months last year.

Presumably eventually they bung a skate under the offending axle and drag it back somewhere to be repaired.

Odd that they can afford to leave demic stock sat around for so long though. Passenger stock is usually rescued within hours or a day or two

Do Freightliner have an asset management system that will know just how long such problem stock has been out of service for? Do they have a time limit for the recovery of such stock to enable repairs to be effected, as surely there is an asset value to all their rolling stock, both in accountancy and in operational terms.

Last edited:

NXEA!

I assume that the rake of waggons is still languishing at Llandudno Junction. The freight sidings behind the station are somehow for the exclusive use of EWS/DB (so I dimly recall). Some years back, there were grumblings about the fact that they denied anyone else permission to use them, yet didn't use them theirselves. When NR pressed them about it, a rake of waggons were stabled there to make a point. Weeds and long grass then went about hiding them!
Speaking of an abandoned hopper, there is an abandoned Bardon Aggregates hopper on the Chiltern line out of Marylebone near Neasden, you can see it from the Metropolitan line too. And there is a wagon on a siding on the GEML just after leaving Stratford going towards Liverpool Street, on the right by the cement works near the main road going underneath the railway. :)

boing_uk

Are the BOC tanks still parked up at Barnetby? They have been there for as long as I can remember.

Drsatan

Established Member
There's an abandoned hopper wagon in one of the sidings at Ryde St Johns station running parallel to the main line. However, the last time I went to that station was in 2006 so I'm not sure whether the wagon is still there or not.

There used to be a cornucopia of abandoned wagons in Eastleigh South Yard including an NSE liveried GUV.

dstrat

Are the BOC tanks still parked up at Barnetby? They have been there for as long as I can remember.

Yeah, think it was mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread. Looking at Barnetby now, it wouldn't surprise me if its still there in 50 years. The old lamp posts look good tho!

tempests1

For about ten years a Rudd ballast wagon sat at the London End of Guildford Station in a siding by the Substation. It was cut up on site around about 2004/5 when the siding was upgraded & electrified in connection with the introduction of the Desiro EMU's. I could be totally wrong here but I recall some sort of carriage a GUV perhaps? parked up for years quietly rusting in the disused carriage sidings by the Down/Up Southern Lines on the approaches to Reading 4A/B.

theres a load of dumped wagons at langley oil terminal

There's a hoppery-wagony thing (hopeless with freight wagons!) parked at Dingwall, in the siding just beyond the platform (the side that the ticket office is on). I haven't seen it move for at least 3 years (been a train commuter for 3 years now). I don't know if it's abandoned or if it only comes out to play when I'm not there.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
There's a hoppery-wagony thing (hopeless with freight wagons!) parked at Dingwall, in the siding just beyond the platform (the side that the ticket office is on). I haven't seen it move for at least 3 years (been a train commuter for 3 years now). I don't know if it's abandoned or if it only comes out to play when I'm not there.

When I first posted the thread that has led to all the replies, I never expected that there would have been so many replies. I now find that these abandoned waggons are NATION-WIDE in geographical terms...with your posting about DINGWALL to an earlier posting with a photographic thread from PENZANCE covering a north to south area that would be very hard to beat. Perhaps if the rail authorities took heed of such postings, there would be much embarassmant regarding the fact that so many abandoned waggons exist.:oops:

Perhaps Platform 5 or other rail publishers could collate all the information into an annual booklet of British Abandoned Waggons..with suitable colour photographs. Just think, a new generation of "spotters":p

And to think that all this started as a result of my wife pestering me to find out about the two hoppers at Bolton.<(

Yeah there seems to be a lot of wagons that are just left standing. I thought that railway companies would be more careful and caring of their resources, as I don't imagine that wagons are 99p from Tesco and grow on trees.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
theres a load of dumped wagons at langley oil terminal

There is a difference between "stored" and "dumped" - not sure what mind!:lol:

I often wonder if some of these wagons, especially the long lines parked up at various places (like the hoppers at Neville Hill) are the DBS rainy day fund. Sh*t short of cash this quarter - scrap some of those wagons!

Train wasp

Yeah there seems to be a lot of wagons that are just left standing. I thought that railway companies would be more careful and caring of their resources, as I don't imagine that wagons are 99p from Tesco and grow on trees.

On the same note about rail companies being more careful with their resources. Maybe Network Rail should think about collecting all the abandon rail left around the network. There must be thousands of pounds worth of used rail rusting away.

Welshman

Established Member
theres a burnt out brake van in the sidings close to the new footbridge at Holyhead

There's been an abandoned brake van sitting all alone in a siding at Ancaster for as long as I can remember. The remains will probably still be there in the year 2500, and intrigue the industrial archeologists!!

Perhaps we should start an appeal for unloved and abandoned railway wagons - "adopt a brake van now - only £2 per month, and your wagon will send you pictures and write to you......." :lol: :lol:

Sorry. Nurse, the curtains!

Eng274

There's been an abandoned brake van sitting all alone in a siding at Ancaster for as long as I can remember. The remains will probably still be there in the year 2500, and intrigue the industrial archeologists!!

Perhaps we should start an appeal for unloved and abandoned railway wagons - "adopt a brake van now - only £2 per month, and your wagon will send you pictures and write to you......." :lol: :lol:

Sorry. Nurse, the curtains!

:lol::lol::lol:

I want first dibs on this old beauty.

How much would NR get for selling off old railway tracks to metal scrapyards? Is there much money in it or would the cost negate any potential profit?

Yew

Established Member
I think I saw a rake of old fashioned coal hoppers near worksop. and two other trucks near stp

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
How much would NR get for selling off old railway tracks to metal scrapyards? Is there much money in it or would the cost negate any potential profit?

Just imagine the conversation.... "If you don't handle our copper cables, you can have some of our track instead. ..and if you keep your promise, we'll throw in a Pacer of two for good measure:D"

Cuts out the middleman (copper-theiving scrote) and raises much needed cash for National Rail.

Hydro

Established Member
Network Rail already recycle old track, track components and cable through proper channels.

Eng274

Just imagine the conversation.... "If you don't handle our copper cables, you can have some of our track instead. ..and if you keep your promise, we'll throw in a Pacer of two for good measure:D"

Cuts out the middleman (copper-theiving scrote) and raises much needed cash for National Rail.

Pandering and negotiating with the cable-thieving scrotes? After the hundreds of thousands of pounds lost in delays and cancellations they cause through their dangerous, mindless vandalism, you'd give them precious scrap metal? :roll:

I'd give them a kick in the cardans and 5 years of community service, trimming lineside vegetation. With nursery-spec plastic scissors. That'll keep their thieving hands busy.

The_Rail_WAy

Heading north on the WCML between Wigan NW and Preston, somewhere in Leyland there was an abondoned blue shunter which sat on a 1/4 mile stretch of track - had its own platform -which linked to the mainline. This has only recently disapeared.

I know the intercity carriage that sat just outdside Preston station, that was removed from a sleeper service years ago, was finally removed last year some time and sent to Crewe by road for scrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.