• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who owns 'dumped' freight stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
When you pull out of Bolton station in the Moses Gate direction, keep your eyes open for two long forgotton hopper wagons parked up forlornly in the overgrown sidings, about 500 metres from Bolton. These have been there for years. Who actually owns them and is there any likelihood of seeing them removed from that area. Every time my wife and I pass these two lost souls, she keeps asking me to find out....she classes them as litter!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
I think they'll be well rusted to the rails by now. And not a clue, been there since I've been commuting the route, not even sure if them tracks are still connected to the network, I know the're locked out of use sidings on the baseline docs because I checked before for myeslf, thats as far as I got.

seagull

It's quite astonishing how many abandoned* wagons there are around the country, you'd think they'd have some scrap value if nothing else.

Recall seeing quite a few recently I think it was between Gowerton and Llanelli, and/or possibly the Margam area.

* and by abandoned I mean well and truly rusted to the spot, with plants growing through them, etc.

Bon Accord

Anyone remember the ballast (Grampus?) wagon that sat in an (I think) Ashford bay platform for almost 40 years, still fully laden with ballast having been dropped off circa 1965 after suffering a hot box?

GB

Established Member
It's quite astonishing how many abandoned* wagons there are around the country, you'd think they'd have some scrap value if nothing else.

Recall seeing quite a few recently I think it was between Gowerton and Llanelli, and/or possibly the Margam area.

* and by abandoned I mean well and truly rusted to the spot, with plants growing through them, etc.

The trouble is access restrictions and recovery costs probably exceed what it is worth.

colchesterken

Would be fun to buy them and run them on a preserved railway
with the owners own name on the side,,a lasting memorial
wander how much it would cost
"" Kens ballast Co "" on the side mmmmmm

umontu

Find an abandoned loco first?

I too have seen these, then again I think there are more towards Manchester, I know there is a signal planted on a rusted over track around there, why not rip up the rails around it is what I don't get.

Find an abandoned loco first?

how about the shunter in the bushes by Didcot Parkway on the curve towards Oxford between the sidings and the railway centre? Looks to have been there for years!

driver9000

Established Member
The two abandoned wagons at Bolton (Burnden Junction) are Dutch liveried Seacow ballast wagons and are still full of Ballast. They have been there since BR days if I remember rightly and the sidings are still connected albeit clipped out of use. They 'disappear' for the summer each year when the leaves on the trees hide them. There is an abandoned Tope wagon at Ince Moss tip near Wigan which is now isolated since the access pointwork was removed to the tip a couple of years ago. I don't think they will be going anywhere soon.

NightatLaira

There was until relatively recently a complete abandoned Class 37 sitting on an out of use loop just west of Nottingham station. It was railfreight oil and petrochemicals sector liveried and so can't have been there any longer than about 20 years. I haven't seen it for a few years though, think it just 'vanished' around 2006 time. Wonder who has it now...

There was also an Intercity mk1 carriage just north of Preston station that had sat in the middle of the tracks for quite some years until recently...

And east of Edinburgh between Craigentinny and Newcraighall there's a whole bunch of stuff including a complete OHL electrification set left over from the ECML electrification program, several intercity and BR era carriages dotted around Craignetinny and a lot of other interesting stuff.

There are also some Seacow wagons - early nineties vintage that have sat near March station for quite some time.

There is also some sleeper stock (can't remember if it is intercity or CalSlep liveried just off one of the branches to the WCML - it might be Newcastle-Carlisle or Settle - Carlisle or somewhere else - can't quite remember!

And at Doncaster (on the southern approach) there is also a very very old black BP tank wagon - it looks pre-war to me, possibly even 1920s! Rivetted pannel construction - very very antiquated.

Very interesting thread! :D

Yew

Established Member
If we could arrange to steal all of this old rolling stock, that nobody would miss, we could start a UKrailForums TOC!

Established Member
And east of Edinburgh between Craigentinny and Newcraighall there's a whole bunch of stuff including a complete OHL electrification set left over from the ECML electrification program, several intercity and BR era carriages dotted around Craignetinny and a lot of other interesting stuff.

I have photos of this somewhere. You can get quite close to the side of it in the industrial estate by the railway.

There appear to be two 37s and an 08 abandoned at the southern end of Millerhill, with a few wagons as well.

12CSVT

Established Member
Perhaps there should be a new section on www.wnxx.com of all rolling stock which has been abandoned for more than 10 years.

Anyone spotted the little industrial shunter in the corner of the scrapyard at Shipley? Complete demic, all rusted up, falling apart and surrounded by birch trees!

strange6

Established Member
The two abandoned wagons at Bolton (Burnden Junction) are Dutch liveried Seacow ballast wagons and are still full of Ballast. They have been there since BR days if I remember rightly and the sidings are still connected albeit clipped out of use. They 'disappear' for the summer each year when the leaves on the trees hide them. There is an abandoned Tope wagon at Ince Moss tip near Wigan which is now isolated since the access pointwork was removed to the tip a couple of years ago. I don't think they will be going anywhere soon.

I'm surprised somebody hasn't cut them up for scrap

NXEA!

There was a Mainline Blue liveried 58 number 005 dumped at Leicester for many years wasn't there?

KingboyD

There are a few stone wagons around Northwich, there is 1 or 2 just east of the station in a siding, there are also some flat bed type wagons in the undergrowth, also there are a few stone wagons dumped at Oakleigh sidings.

There is a rake of wagons near Edge Hill (Liverpool) with a wheel skate or 2 fitted, they have been there some years now.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Thank you for coming up with the answer to the thread that I posted. I have passed the news on to my wife and she thanks you for your reply.

I often wonder that if a car or lorry was left abandoned for a long period of time, that someone in authority would eventually cause it to be moved.

Is there not asset checking in the rail industry.....and is there never any moves to reclaim missing rolling stock assets after a certain period of time?

1V53

Not that old but a rake of brand new tanker wagons marked "Wrekin" which appear to have sat unused at Crewe for about 5 years? Always wondered what the story was behind them?

Established Member
I often wonder that if a car or lorry was left abandoned for a long period of time, that someone in authority would eventually cause it to be moved.

Depends where it is.

There's a tanker and another trailer here which have been abandoned since at least the late 90s and I've come across a few cars around Edinburgh that appear to be abandoned as well.

On the other hand, there's a SAAB specialst near me that has donor cars parked around my area and leaves them there for months at a time, though not so much recently, as I think every now and again he gets told to move them or they'll be removed.

anthony263

Established Member
There are a few wagons, dumped in the siding by Carmarthen junction and you have those dumped in the sidings at Llandeilo Junction & Briton Ferry.

There was a coal wagon dumped in the headshunt at Parc slip open cast, will have to see if its still there.

NXEA!

Yes, I remember that :lol:
Hasn't it gone abroad, don't think it got scrapped.
Yeah, its in France working now. I'm surprised they got it working again to be honest. :lol: It got taken by road to Southampton Docks and then hauled by rail to Eastleigh Works to be readied for France. I think it was limited to a certain speed by rail if I remember correctly, and the 66 had to bring along 3 Mark 2's for brake force. :lol:

andyfrommk

There is a rusting GLV or GUV van on the curve between Bletchley and Fenny Stratford, just by the water tower.

I wonder if there is a "squatters rights" equivalant for vehicles, so you can lay claim to it and if after 12 years nobody comes forward to prove that they own it, its yours!

Scotrail84

Established Member
Theres an old steel carrying wagon in the undergrowth blocked in by trees now just past Cleland stn. There was also an old petrol tanker in Dundee yd for years but i think its gone now. There was the odd crippled wagon lying in Inverkeithing yd until fairly recently aswell.

Big Chris

2 coaches and some tanks spent many years sat opposite Cambridge Station until the recent clean up

6S83

Thank you for coming up with the answer to the thread that I posted. I have passed the news on to my wife and she thanks you for your reply.

There were quite a few aborted attempts to rescue them with the Carnforth roving ballast jobs, I have a feeling that someone had opened the hopper doors on one of them meaning it couldn't be moved without the stone being shovelled out from underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.