• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who would you vote for in a General Election? January 2021

Who would you vote for in a General Election?

• Conservatives

Votes: 21 12.7%
  • Labour

Votes: 60 36.1%
  • Lib Dems

• Green

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Reform

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • SNP

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • DUP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Abstain

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alex397

Established Member
I shan't be voting. There's no point in voting for anything other than Tory or Labour with FPTP. Tories are out of the question for me under any circumstances, and so is a Labour Party that has bought into Brexit and formally shared ownership of the mess we're in.
There is an argument that spoiling the ballot is still more effective than not voting at all, so I’d recommend that if there’s definitely no one you want to vote for!
I’ll try and vote for a party, but I guess the more people that spoil the ballot the more argument there is to reform the electoral system.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
There is an argument that spoiling the ballot is still more effective than not voting at all, so I’d recommend that if there’s definitely no one you want to vote for!
I’ll try and vote for a party, but I guess the more people that spoil the ballot the more argument there is to reform the electoral system.

Err... surely, if you want to see the electoral system reformed, the best way to get towards that is to vote for one of the parties that supports (and prioritises) electoral reform?

XAM2175

Established Member
Err... surely, if you want to see the electoral system reformed, the best way to get towards that is to vote for one of the parties that supports (and prioritises) electoral reform?

Yeah, the reality is that not voting will be read as you not caring, and submitting an informal vote will generally be read as something like you not wishing to vote for any of the candidates for whatever reason that might be. Spoiling your ballot is therefore the least-bad option if that's the message you want to send, but as DynamicSpirit says the best chance of achieving reform is by actively voting for a party that supports it.

alex397

Established Member
Well, yes. If a party does prioritise electoral reform, there may be other reasons why they strongly don't want to vote for that party. If someone is determined that they can't for any of the parties, then spoiling the ballot is at least better than not voting at all. There is no way i'd vote for a party like UKIP for example, if they happened to also support electoral reform.

317 forever

Established Member
I also believe in always voting, but I made an exception for the PCC elections. I found myself in the the strange position of agreeing with someone called Blair (former Metropolitan Police Commissioner Ian Blair) who said that he hoped people wouldn’t give them legitimacy by voting in the elections.

The PCC election in 2012 is the only election where I have willfully spoilt my ballot paper. Ironically these were held on my birthday. So, even then I was not too old to start becoming rebellious. <(

I'll (continue to) abstain - I'm in a totally impregnable Tory seat and I have no intention of voting for them, so - to be honest - why waste my time?

Supposedly safe seats are occasionally lost. Sedgefield was Labour even in 1983 then lost in 2019. Canterbury was Conservative in 1997 but lost in 2017. So, unless you genuinely dislike the runner-up, you may as well vote for them tactically at least.

Last edited:

Typhoon

Established Member
Canterbury was Conservative in 1997 but lost in 2017. So, unless you genuinely dislike the runner-up, you may as well vote for them tactically at least.
You are right in suggesting that in the right conditions a seemingly secure majority can be overturned. I can only speak for Canterbury (I live yards from the constituency boundary) but I suspect the Conservatives were complacent (which may have been true of Labour in Sedgefield). Their candidate had been there for ages and had lost touch; Labour got the student vote out (2 universities and an offshoot in a small city) and fielded a likeable candidate who almost doubled the Labour vote.

I should add that Canterbury itself is rather more diverse than might appear. Currently there is only one Conservative councillor, 3 LibDems and 6 Labour (plus 1 vacancy). Labour has pushed on in recent years.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
You are right in suggesting that in the right conditions a seemingly secure majority can be overturned. I can only speak for Canterbury (I live yards from the constituency boundary) but I suspect the Conservatives were complacent (which may have been true of Labour in Sedgefield). Their candidate had been there for ages and had lost touch; Labour got the student vote out (2 universities and an offshoot in a small city) and fielded a likeable candidate who almost doubled the Labour vote.

I should add that Canterbury itself is rather more diverse than might appear. Currently there is only one Conservative councillor, 3 LibDems and 6 Labour (plus 1 vacancy). Labour has pushed on in recent years.
With Sedgefield there's the assumption that the entire constituency is just monolithically Labour colliery villages. There is an element of that, but Newton Aycliffe is a socially mixed new town (and has some well off estates towards the outskirts), Sedgefield is a very pleasant market town which nearly always sends at least one Conservative councillor to County Hall, and the villages around Darlington are downright affluent. There has also been an increase in the number of commuters living in the area, given how handy it is for Durham, Teesside, Sunderland, and even Newcastle, while Labour's core vote there has rapidly fallen out of love with the party. Frankly, the fact it was ever properly safely Labour is the surprising part.

317 forever

Established Member
With Sedgefield there's the assumption that the entire constituency is just monolithically Labour colliery villages. There is an element of that, but Newton Aycliffe is a socially mixed new town (and has some well off estates towards the outskirts), Sedgefield is a very pleasant market town which nearly always sends at least one Conservative councillor to County Hall, and the villages around Darlington are downright affluent. There has also been an increase in the number of commuters living in the area, given how handy it is for Durham, Teesside, Sunderland, and even Newcastle, while Labour's core vote there has rapidly fallen out of love with the party. Frankly, the fact it was ever properly safely Labour is the surprising part.

Interesting to see your reflection of the social background of Sedgefield. I think it was the stand-out red wall seat to fall to the Conservatives for having been the seat of then Prime Minister Tony Blair.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Interesting to see your reflection of the social background of Sedgefield. I think it was the stand-out red wall seat to fall to the Conservatives for having been the seat of then Prime Minister Tony Blair.
It certainly gave it a symbolic value, but the seat Blair won in 1983 no longer exists in 2019. The social changes there have been very dramatic, indeed that could be said for both of the other two Conservative gains in rural County Durham.

Typhoon

Established Member
Doubtless, with closer inspection we would find there are a lot more potentially marginal constituencies. Quite possibly the breaching of the 'Red Wall' has more to do with Labour neglect of its traditional support than a 'love-in' with Boris. I notice that in 2017 and 2019 several old-guard Labour MPs lost their seat. There are still plenty of seats where the colour of the rosette defines the winner, but, I suspect, fewer, not necessarily because voters have switched, but because some have stayed at home and others, previously non-voters, have turned out. Every reason to give the underdog a chance and not waste the vote.

Of course, the New Labour of Tony Blair way well have appealed to voters in the commuter belt, described above, but they will have been absolutely turned off by Momentum.

Status
Not open for further replies.