• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who's in the wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
What would have happend if the train crew had been due a break at the next stop and the delay would have taken them over their time (time without a break)? Would they then have had to take their break there?

Michael.Y

Established Member
What would have happend if the train crew had been due a break at the next stop and the delay would have taken them over their time (time without a break)? Would they then have had to take their break there?

Clutching at straws there.

The guard is in the wrong, simple as. Jobsworth misery guts with no customer service skills whatever.

bengley

Established Member

The guard is in the wrong, simple as. Jobsworth misery guts with no customer service skills whatever.

He's not in the wrong. He was perfectly within his right to refuse to let the passengers on - once the doors are closed, whether a passenger door or not, the local door which the guard dispatches the train from is a non-public door. It is open solely for operational reasons.

He didn't handle the situation well, though - he would have avoided a whole load of hassle if he'd just let the passengers on.

Minilad

Established Member

Do you know they guy? Do you know operating procedure?
Nope thought not.

I have to tread carefully here as I know both of the individuals seen in this video.
All I can say is something must have happened before the camera started rolling because in my experience the TM is not a "Jobsworth misery guts with no customer service skills whatever"

ComUtoR

Established Member
It's RailUK. Clearly the passenger is in the wrong. Nothing else matters.

A very, very small, but very, very, very vocal and aggressive minority! There isn't time to report every time one of 'the fraternity' does it!

DELETED: Not worth it. Cant we all just get along?

I guess Rich is right.

455driver

Veteran Member

Can you explain the dispatch rules which prove the guard is in the wrong please, I cant seem to find them!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
TM is not a "Jobsworth misery guts with no customer service skills whatever"
Of course he is, the video 'proves' it! ;) :lol:

Last edited:

kkong

The security requirements for even domestic plane travel are far higher and require far more paperwork than a train.

That's not really true.

I have flown domestically within the UK several times in recent months and all that I needed to show was a credit card with a name that matched the reservation. No photo ID is required.

http://www.easternairways.com/faqs

"Q. What acceptable forms of ID will be required upon check-in?"

theironroad

Established Member
That's not really true.

I have flown domestically within the UK several times in recent months and all that I needed to show was a credit card with a name that matched the reservation. No photo ID is required.

http://www.easternairways.com/faqs

"Q. What acceptable forms of ID will be required upon check-in?"

You still have to prove your ID (don't think I said photo ID is needed) by producing a form of id to be cross-referenced with the passenger manifest. Getting on a domestic train requires nil ID checks.

If the departure time comes and goes and the passenger manifest shows a passenger has not boarded but has checked bags, then that plane ain't going anywhere very fast while all offloading is completed.

Agent_c

In my experience the word "jobsworth" is used only by those who don't believe that the rules apply to them, but equally would not take responsibility for the harm that comes to them from their refusal to follow them.

kkong

You still have to prove your ID (don't think I said photo ID is needed) by producing a form of id to be cross-referenced with the passenger manifest.

There is no legal requirement to provide ID for taking a domestic flight in the UK.

If you believe otherwise, I would be glad if you could provide me with the details.

Airlines make up their own rules.

Being in possession of a credit card with a name on it which matches the manifest doesn't mean you are that person.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
You still have to prove your ID (don't think I said photo ID is needed) by producing a form of id to be cross-referenced with the passenger manifest. Getting on a domestic train requires nil ID checks.

Some airlines impose their own rules, but I've not had to show any ID at all when flying British Airways domestically. The only check they make is that the person going through security with the boarding pass is the same person who arrives at the gate, but that's done by photographing people at the security line; they don't check the ID of anyone.

theironroad

Established Member
There is no legal requirement to provide ID for taking a domestic flight in the UK.

If you believe otherwise, I would be glad if you could provide me with the details.

Airlines make up their own rules.

Being in possession of a credit card with a name on it which matches the manifest doesn't mean you are that person.

I've not said there is a legal requirement and don't care who has made the rules, but when I've flown domestically (which I grant is only a few times a year as usually use trains) I've been required to show ID, however briefly it is looked at.

I've nothing further to add.

island

Veteran Member
I've not said there is a legal requirement and don't care who has made the rules, but when I've flown domestically (which I grant is only a few times a year as usually use trains) I've been required to show ID, however briefly it is looked at.

I've nothing further to add.

And when I've flown domestically, I haven't. Because we travel on different airlines, with different rules.

On topic: irrespective of who was and wasn't right, this sort of stuff should be dealt with through proper channels and not by yelling.

mbreckers

Unfortunately I have encountered some XC guards who behave like this, and the company doesn't seem to do enough to weed them out. It is a minority, who are obnoxious, but they certainly do exist. They have no place whatsoever in a customer-facing role and give the industry a bad name. It's really quite a strange one as, on the other end of the scale, some XC TMs are absolutely superb at customer service and very professional. The gulf between the best and the worst XC TMs is staggering.

Let's not forget that all TOC's, all companies that have a customer facing role will have at least one person in their company like this.

And it's not always a bad thing to have someone who is seen as "obnoxious" in your company, as they are always the best at dealing with customers who are intentionally disruptive/argumentative/demanding as they wont put up with any crap. Just, you know, don't be like this where it isn't called for.

Status
Not open for further replies.