• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why are bus operators outside my area not interested in my bus pass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
I am an old codger with a Cheshire West & Chester bus pass. It works perfectly in Cheshire and Merseyside. But it is often not accepted by card readers further afield.

It NEVER works on card readers on London buses. And I tried to use it six times on Stagecoach buses in Northamptonshire the other week and none of the readers recognized it.

In all cases the drivers let me travel having inspected the card, as indeed they have to.

Why do bus operators make no attempt to claim revenue for non-local OAPs travelling on national bus passes?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rogercov

TfL are aware that the card readers on London buses are not compatible, and you are expected to show your pass to the driver. I have noticed that (sometimes) the driver appears to press a button. I assume that this may be so that they can count the number of such journeys so that they can claim revenue. Maybe someone can confirm this.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I can only answer in relation to London buses, I'm a bus pass wielding old codger too, but TfL make it clear that their card readers are incompatible with the national passes, and you're required to wave it at drivers instead, who may or may not grunt or otherwise indicate they've seen it, and may even tap a button to 'record' it. Many do not bother with this though, as it only records another person is on the bus, just as it would with a paper Travelcard. but TfL aren't claiming for reimbursement from anyone, any more than they are from use of London-issued Freedom Passes. Must say, I only once had my ticket receive a proper inspection, but it was when I'd only just received it at the age of 60. Now I'm 71 and staggering around on a stick I couldn't possibly be under age :lol:

wazztie16

Trent Barton buses have certain concessionary passes that aren't accepted by the machines so the drivers have to manually log the journey. More an inconvenience than anything.

I can't remember which areas of the country the passes are from that aren't accepted.

Statto

Established Member
New ticket machines hopefully get rid of the compatibility issues, i've had problems using my Merseytravel issued disabled ENCTS pass on some operators notably, First South Yorkshire were the driver told me it wasn't even valid, & i should get a SYPTE issued one instead, which is useless to me as i'm not a South Yorkshire resident, also had problems on Arriva Yorkshire, . My psass wouldn't read on all the Go North East ticket machines but got ok'd after driver check the pass. I had no problems in the West Midlands, even NXWM readers cleared my pass,

matt_world2004

Established Member
TfL do not get per trip reimbursement in greater London for encts pass use. They are paid a flat fee by London councils to accept them.

alex397

Established Member
I can only answer in relation to London buses, I'm a bus pass wielding old codger too, but TfL make it clear that their card readers are incompatible with the national passes, and you're required to wave it at drivers instead, who may or may not grunt or otherwise indicate they've seen it, and may even tap a button to 'record' it. Many do not bother with this though, as it only records another person is on the bus, just as it would with a paper Travelcard. but TfL aren't claiming for reimbursement from anyone, any more than they are from use of London-issued Freedom Passes. Must say, I only once had my ticket receive a proper inspection, but it was when I'd only just received it at the age of 60. Now I'm 71 and staggering around on a stick I couldn't possibly be under age :lol:

Using my disabled bus pass, most of the problems have been from TfL drivers. I've had a few drivers unsure of what it was, with some making me scan the pass even though it obviously doesn't work, and have made me get off. Some have had a good look and recorded it properly, or they have just waved me on.
Others have been very friendly and said hello (perhaps because they are pleased to get some rare eye contact from a passenger!).
I've never had a problem elsewhere in England (and have even used it successfully on the Tilbury to Gravesend ferry!).

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Using my disabled bus pass, most of the problems have been from TfL drivers. I've had a few drivers unsure of what it was, with some making me scan the pass even though it obviously doesn't work, and have made me get off. Some have had a good look and recorded it properly, or they have just waved me on.
Others have been very friendly and said hello (perhaps because they are pleased to get some rare eye contact from a passenger!).
I've never had a problem elsewhere in England (and have even used it successfully on the Tilbury to Gravesend ferry!).
That's interesting - I'm torn at the moment between getting a Senior Railcard or a Disabled Railcard for train travel, as I qualify for both, but the Disabled one is £10 cheaper.If I thought I was going to get more hassle with the Disabled one, though, I'd sooner pay the extra tenner to avoid it.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
That's interesting - I'm torn at the moment between getting a Senior Railcard or a Disabled Railcard for train travel, as I qualify for both, but the Disabled one is £10 cheaper.If I thought I was going to get more hassle with the Disabled one, though, I'd sooner pay the extra tenner to avoid it.
A Disabled Railcard gives discounts in more circumstances than a Senior Railcard, and permits you to use the discount for a travelling companion.

However, I am pretty sure that, if you wanted to and you met all of the eligibility criteria, you could have both.

matt_world2004

Established Member
If you are ever refused boarding on a disabled encts pass please complain to TfL noting down the running/fleet number of the bus and the time.

alex397

Established Member

Most of my journeys on TfL routes with my pass are trouble free, but its where i've had most problems. I also have a Disabled Railcard, and have never had problems, despite not looking like i'm disabled.

alex397

Established Member
If you are ever refused boarding on a disabled encts pass please complain to TfL noting down the running/fleet number of the bus and the time.

I have done, and never hear anything back! Making a complaint to TfL has often seemed pointless (customer service certainly isn't a strong point, despite so many people thinking TfL are something to aspire to).

Dibuzz

I have a Merseytravel Disabled bus pass and rarely have a problem with it apart from the Reliance buses around York.

Status
Not open for further replies.