• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why are Great Central the only one with passsing steam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
From http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/home-mobile/

"It's the only place in The World where full size steam engines can be seen passing each other."

This comment can't be right surely?
I've seen full size steam trains pass on the North York Moors Railway for example, I'm sure there's many others, probably some in India.
Aswell as on most heritage lines, and some must pass on national networks often?
So why are they making this claim?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

It's the only preserved line where they pass at speed. On other lines trains pass in stations or loops where one train has to stop in a short double track section whilst another gets past, before continuing on single track.

The Great Central has 5 miles of double track so trains can pass at speed anywhere between Rothley & Loughborough. It was very expensive to re-lay the second track, so most societies even if they operate lines which were originally double only re-instate a single line.

markindurham

This comment can't be right surely?
I've seen full size steam trains pass on the North York Moors Railway for example, I'm sure there's many others, probably some in India.
Aswell as on most heritage lines, and some must pass on national networks often?

Sloppy journalism is my guess. What should have been said is that the GCR is the only preserved double track operation in the world, and steam hauled trains can regularly be seen passing at speed.

sprinterguy

Established Member
The claim is in relation to the GCR being the only twin-track heritage railway in the UK, so it's more to do with both trains being in motion as they pass.

However, this doesn't rule out the possibility of steam tours passing each other on the main line (although it can't happen that often, surely?), and I have no idea about the situation in the wider world. Essentially the statement as it is written is rather vague and, for accuracy's sake needs refinement.

(EDIT: Also see posts above)

paul1609

Established Member
I reckon a steam loco on the Spa Valley Railway could pass a steam loco on the network rail track at much higher speed that the GCR.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Sloppy journalism is my guess. What should have been said is that the GCR is the only preserved double track operation in the world, and steam hauled trains can regularly be seen passing at speed.

I think the phrasing is correct. It says the trains are passing each other, ie. both being active. If one train is in a loop it is not passing, it is being passed by the other train.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Ahem- the mighty RHDR has trains passing at line speed at multiple places and has done since the 1920's!

AndyW33

'At speed', the speed being the standard exhilarating 25 mph?! :p
That's certainly correct for trains carrying passengers. However the GCR does have dispensation for higher speeds on the double track (with suitably enhanced safety precautions) when no passengers are on board. A good example would be demonstration TPO maildrops at galas. Speeds at times when the line is closed to other traffic are allowed to reach 60mph, though obviously there's no other train to pass at speed then. Remember Tornado running trials on the GCR is shop grey?

markindurham

25mph speed of each train is a closing/passing speed of 50mph though - that's still a fair old pace if you think about it :)

Jonfun

Established Member
I've shunted enough rolling stock to know I wouldn't want to be hit by something travelling at walking pace, friend...

Status
Not open for further replies.