• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why are some PlusBus areas so small?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miklcct

On Moderation
Are you aware of the Getting About multi-operator BCP ticket - £5 a day?
I'm aware of it but monthly or longer tickets are not available - unlike PlusBus tickets or bus companies' own tickets. Only daily and, recently, weekly tickets are available. Therefore, for long-term commuting, buying carnets from each of the bus companies will usually turn out cheaper.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A Challenge

Established Member
I was surprised by the size of the Folkestone PlusBus area when I was there, though being able to go to Hythe probably does make it quite a bit more useful.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
If there aren't any duplicated routings, a multi-operator ticket doesn't confer any advantages over buying a single-operator ticket.
It can be advantageous. If you're going A-C & A-B is one operator and B-C is a different one.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It can be advantageous. If you're going A-C & A-B is one operator and B-C is a different one.
Quite. My local bus company recently took over the operator of another route out of town and a trip to my in-laws has gone from £5.20 to £3.90.

toffeedanish

Travelling to Keighley often worked well by getting a PlusBus to Hebden Bridge and getting the bus.
As you will know, the opposite journey with Keighley as the railhead is still an excellent example of where a Plusbus is useful, used as intended (and also for some useful used not as intended).

duncombec

The value of a multi-operator ticket is when there are duplicated routings, where it isn't known that which company's bus will come first. I travel between two fixed points frequently about 5 round-trips per week i.e. 10 journeys, with approximately 6 on Yellow Buses and 4 on morebus. On some days I use the same company on both outbound and return but on other days I use different ones, and on some days it depends on when I arrive the bus stop. In such case a true multi-operator season ticket can be very useful.

If there aren't any duplicated routings, a multi-operator ticket doesn't confer any advantages over buying a single-operator ticket.

I'm aware of it but monthly or longer tickets are not available - unlike PlusBus tickets or bus companies' own tickets. Only daily and, recently, weekly tickets are available. Therefore, for long-term commuting, buying carnets from each of the bus companies will usually turn out cheaper.
Ah, so it's less "why are some PlusBus areas so small" and more "why isn't there a ticket that suits my needs perfectly, every time I want to use it"... I'm sure we'd all like that!

Have you considered writing to the bus companies and/or BCP* Council and ask them to look into multi-operator ticketing, and/or extending their local products to Wimborne? Being in a different council area, and only 15 common stops that I can see, the chances aren't very likely, but have you tried?

*This is the official name of the relevant unitary authority; it is not a self-invented acronym!

Tester

Conversely, some PlusBus areas are very large (definitely not a complaint!).

For example, if I understand correctly, a PlusBus for any station within the West Midlands, Greater Manchester, West Yorkshire or South Yorkshire areas, is valid in the whole of the respective area.

Are there other similar areas?

Also, can holders of passes such as All Line Rovers, Interrail or Eurail buy PlusBus?

paul1609

Established Member
Conversely, some PlusBus areas are very large (definitely not a complaint!).

For example, if I understand correctly, a PlusBus for any station within the West Midlands, Greater Manchester, West Yorkshire or South Yorkshire areas, is valid in the whole of the respective area.

Are there other similar areas?
Brighton & Hove plusbus covers from Steyning and Shoreham by Sea across to Seaford that's around 25 miles in a coastal strip.

Haywain

Veteran Member
The PlusBus area where I live, Bournemouth Christchurch and Poole, is so large that it covers 7 railway stations on the same line, with 4 of them designated interchanges, and the boundary as far as beyond the council boundary, up to Wimborne.
According to the PlusBus website only Bournemouth Interchange (sic) and Poole are designated interchanges, with no mention of Branksome and Christchurch. Perhaps this has changed.

Dr Day

One size can't fit all. Make a zone too large and priced for use for longer distance connections (to say outlying towns/villages) and some very short hops (eg from a slightly-out-of-the-city-centre station into the city centre) become too expensive.

Alex365Dash

According to the PlusBus website only Bournemouth Interchange (sic) and Poole are designated interchanges, with no mention of Branksome and Christchurch. Perhaps this has changed.
I find that the list of interchange stations on the PlusBus site can be incomplete whilst there may be other interchange stations in the area that aren’t listed. For example, within the Brighton & Hove PlusBus area, whilst not shown as interchange stations on the website, PlusBus add-ons are available from Falmer and Moulsecoomb.

The fares are still defined in the fares database - a PlusBus Day “from” Falmer “to” Falmer+Bus is £3.70, the same as that for interchanging at Hove.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Key word highlighted: Chelwood Gate is approximately 8 miles from both of the stations you quote (slightly less to East Grinstead, slightly more to Haywards Heath). 8 miles is hardly local.
I personally would have used the word local to describe an 8 mile journey between a large or medium sized town and a small village. If I lived in East Grinstead I would call Chelwood Gate a local village.

Because that would be a different scheme.
Plusbus isn't really the same scheme in different areas of the country. In the former PTE areas it usually covers an entire county. In some small and medium sized towns and small cities it covers an arbitrary short distance from the city, but sometimes it also includes adjacent towns just because e.g. York Plusbus goes to Stamford Bridge. In the Peak District, Plusbus covers journeys of more than thirty miles from Matlock or Buxton. And of course, in Greater London, there's no Plusbus.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
As you will know, the opposite journey with Keighley as the railhead is still an excellent example of where a Plusbus is useful, used as intended (and also for some useful used not as intended).
I'm not sure how I'm not using it as intended in the other direction. As West Yorkshire has useful multi-operator tickets anyway, I often use those at other times.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I was surprised by the size of the Folkestone PlusBus area when I was there, though being able to go to Hythe probably does make it quite a bit more useful.
I think that this is the point. The areas have seen at least some attempt to make them actually useful.

What hardship is being claimed here? With the advent of contactless payment on buses, there isn't a need for through tickets any more, the benefit of which was arguably only ever about removing the 'cash' barrier to boarding a bus, and a dubious 'right' of passengers to save money at the cost of bus companies just because they were making a through journey.
The purpose is more to encourage people to travel sustainably to the railway, and not default to the far more damaging methods of car or taxi. This is the reason why plusbike was also tried.

They're stymied by nonsense like completely free car parking in urban areas, e.g. Hazel Grove, Horsforth, and building new stations in places where people will by definition be car-dependent such as East Midlands Parkway.

I agree that it's out of date, but for some things you'd ideally put the prices down, not up. Alnwick is a great example. There are multiple disparate bus route between the town centre and the railway station, and its much too far to expect people to reasonably walk. The bus provision at Alnwick station could be far better, and bus travel should ideally be free for rail ticket holders to Alnmouth, or there could be an additional destination at say a 50p premium each way. The bus companies reasonable costs could then be covered by the railway industry. In exchange the railway would get more passengers. Being able to issue one eticket to Alnwick from across the rest of the country is the only way to do it really.

Last edited:

miklcct

On Moderation
The purpose is more to encourage people to travel sustainably to the railway, and not default to the far more damaging methods of car or taxi. This is the reason why plusbike was also tried.

They're stymied by nonsense like completely free car parking in urban areas, e.g. Hazel Grove, Horsforth, and building new stations in places where people will by definition be car-dependent such as East Midlands Parkway.

Why are there free car parking in urban areas in a free economy? City centre land is precious therefore parking should be very expensive in city centre!

However, parkway stations are actually good because it's impossible for a railway to serve every rural village, and we want people to drive to the railway rather than driving across the country from a rural area where a car is a necessity.

johncrossley

Established Member
Why are there free car parking in urban areas in a free economy? City centre land is precious therefore parking should be very expensive in city centre!

To clarify, the examples quoted were at the edge of the urban area.

Starmill

Veteran Member
It's not generally in city centres, although parking is sometimes paid for in city centre cinemas and other similar venues to attract visitors. The free parking in urban areas in places like West Yorkshire has historically been used by people driving in from outside the county to take advantage of cheaper fares as well as free parking, making it particularly difficult to justify any longer.

However, parkway stations are actually good because it's impossible for a railway to serve every rural village, and we want people to drive to the railway rather than driving across the country from a rural area where a car is a necessity.
That's the theory, but the reality is often very different. To take the example of East Midlands Parkway, there's only one single local bus route to the station, which is the 865 between Clifton and Normanton-on-Soar via Kegworth. There are only 9 services per day each way and no service at all on Sundays. Hardly any use for people in Kegworth or the villages to connect with trains from East Midlands Parkway. There's no bus service to East Midlands Parkway at all from East Midlands Airport or the other towns and villages such as Castle Donnington and East Leake.

Last edited:

duncombec

I find that the list of interchange stations on the PlusBus site can be incomplete whilst there may be other interchange stations in the area that aren’t listed. For example, within the Brighton & Hove PlusBus area, whilst not shown as interchange stations on the website, PlusBus add-ons are available from Falmer and Moulsecoomb.
I also made this error, and corrected it in a subsequent post. perhaps "missing" stations were added to the scheme afterwards?

I personally would have used the word local to describe an 8 mile journey between a large or medium sized town and a small village. If I lived in East Grinstead I would call Chelwood Gate a local village.
This may just be a matter of personal distinction, as (obviously) I wouldn't - perhaps the degree or urban/rural defines what you consider local? Google Maps tells me 8 miles from Manchester gets me well beyond Stockport (Stepping Hill Hospital, in fact)... I definitely wouldn't consider that "local"!

Plusbus isn't really the same scheme in different areas of the country. In the former PTE areas it usually covers an entire county. In some small and medium sized towns and small cities it covers an arbitrary short distance from the city, but sometimes it also includes adjacent towns just because e.g. York Plusbus goes to Stamford Bridge. In the Peak District, Plusbus covers journeys of more than thirty miles from Matlock or Buxton. And of course, in Greater London, there's no Plusbus.
As regards PTE areas, see comment below on more general ticketing. Plusbus Peak District seems to be more of the relatively genuine aim of Derbyshire County Council to promote public transport usage. However, for most of those "arbitrary short distances from the city", large or small, it appears to be defined at the edge of what could plausible constitute the town bus network. With large rural expanses between areas, Chelwood Gate can hardly be considered on the town network of either East Grinstead or Haywards Heath, nor can Wimborne be considered part of 'Greater Bournemouth' when it's in a different council area!
[referring to Folkestone] I think that this is the point. The areas have seen at least some attempt to make them actually useful.
The Folkestone PlusBus area conveniently coincides with the Stagecoach Folkestone dayrider area. There may well be lots of benefits, including ease of staff training, to have your area products match.

I agree - I don't want to suggest that PlusBus is a bad idea (provided the bus drivers don't give you the 'can't use a train ticket on a bus' speech), but I think the real concept of the scheme has to be borne in mind... it simply wasn't designed to allow bus travel to or from wherever you like into the rail network, or, as the OP admits to doing, discarding your rail ticket and using it as a cut price bus ticket.

[...] The bus provision at Alnwick station could be far better, and bus travel should ideally be free for rail ticket holders to Alnmouth, or there could be an additional destination at say a 50p premium each way. The bus companies reasonable costs could then be covered by the railway industry. In exchange the railway would get more passengers.
I noted one of the other posters upthread said the rail company gets their full fare, the bus company the add-on only. Assuming that is true (and with no reason not to), your suggestion here would require the railway to forfeit some of "its" portion for a more balanced distribution of costs - and the disinclination to do that may well be the reason why such doesn't exist, or why doing it here may then result in demands for the reallocation of funds in other schemes too. Presumably the DfT, as current purse string holder, would also have to agree with that.

miklcct

On Moderation
To clarify, the examples quoted were at the edge of the urban area.
That's also good as well as they can stop people driving into the city centre when there is a price differential in parking.

That's the theory, but the reality is often very different. To take the example of East Midlands Parkway, there's only one single local bus route to the station, which is the 865 between Clifton and Normanton-on-Soar via Kegworth. There are only 9 services per day each way and no service at all on Sundays. Hardly any use for people in Kegworth or the villages to connect with trains from East Midlands Parkway. There's no bus service to East Midlands Parkway at all from East Midlands Airport or the other towns and villages such as Castle Donnington and East Leake.
Here why don't people drive to connect to the train? Isn't there incentive for people to do that (such as free parking with a train ticket)?

This may just be a matter of personal distinction, as (obviously) I wouldn't - perhaps the degree or urban/rural defines what you consider local? Google Maps tells me 8 miles from Manchester gets me well beyond Stockport (Stepping Hill Hospital, in fact)... I definitely wouldn't consider that "local"!
A local bus is legally defined as a bus which allows travel within 15 miles, and it roughly corresponds to the radius of Greater London as well, therefore I believe travel up to 15 miles can be considered as local travel.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I noted one of the other posters upthread said the rail company gets their full fare, the bus company the add-on only. Assuming that is true (and with no reason not to), your suggestion here would require the railway to forfeit some of "its" portion for a more balanced distribution of costs - and the disinclination to do that may well be the reason why such doesn't exist, or why doing it here may then result in demands for the reallocation of funds in other schemes too.
As the major bus operating groups are all signed up to PlusBus, I don't expect that the fares they receive (or don't receive) are seen as an issue of any significance. It is possible that some smaller operators may see the lower farebox income as an obstacle but hey do have the option of not taking part in the scheme - which is why I am not able to use PlusBus on the service that stops outside my front door!

Dai Corner

Established Member
As regards PTE areas, see comment below on more general ticketing. Plusbus Peak District seems to be more of the relatively genuine aim of Derbyshire County Council to promote public transport usage. However, for most of those "arbitrary short distances from the city", large or small, it appears to be defined at the edge of what could plausible constitute the town bus network. With large rural expanses between areas, Chelwood Gate can hardly be considered on the town network of either East Grinstead or Haywards Heath, nor can Wimborne be considered part of 'Greater Bournemouth' when it's in a different council area!
Indeed.

Prominent at the top of every page on the Plusbus website is "Adds Urban Bus travel to your train ticket" (my bold).

Starmill

Veteran Member
I think it is indeed personal, because as you correctly guessed the city where I spend the majority of my time, I would still describe the Stepping Hill area as "in Manchester". Of course lots of people certainly wouldn't, but that's a big one to be getting into here eh!

toffeedanish

I'm not sure how I'm not using it as intended in the other direction. As West Yorkshire has useful multi-operator tickets anyway, I often use those at other times.
Sorry: I wasnt referring to your travels, rather that Keighley as a Plusbus railhead is a good one for those wishing to go to Hebden Bridge, and for some others with no intention of getting on a train.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I noted one of the other posters upthread said the rail company gets their full fare, the bus company the add-on only. Assuming that is true (and with no reason not to), your suggestion here would require the railway to forfeit some of "its" portion for a more balanced distribution of costs - and the disinclination to do that may well be the reason why such doesn't exist, or why doing it here may then result in demands for the reallocation of funds in other schemes too. Presumably the DfT, as current purse string holder, would also have to agree with that.
Always the way with any integration of transport. However, it's the only real solution. Currently for visitors to Alnwick's historic town, the overwhelming majority of people will be driving. And of course parking right in the town. Unless the recommendations around integration in both the National Bus Strategy and also the Williams-Shapps Plan for Rail are taken seriously, we won't get anywhere. For the major groups, being part of a large scheme is usually a little bit easier because they can take some risk of potentially lower yields in exchange for higher volumes. And overall at society level, higher volumes on public transport are highly desirable.

A much less ambitious and short term solution, that might work in places like Alnwick specifically, where there's a potentially high volume over a relatively short distance of only a couple of miles, might include turning the commercial aspect on its head: the railway keeps all of the money from the ticket sales, but pays for bus stop upgrades, and gives the bus operators a fee directly based on a negotiation about how much it 'costs' them to provide the railway this connecting service.

Last edited:

ChrisC

Established Member
A bit off topic and not directly relevant to be discussed in this thread but I will briefly mention something that has always puzzled me.

I have never understood why Skylink Express which passes East Midlands Parkway does not stop at the station. It currently ruins every 30 minutes from Nottingham City Centre to East Midlands Airport via Clifton and Nottingham Trent University Clifton Campus. It would not add more than 5 minutes to the journey for it to leave the dual carriageway and serve East Midlands Parkway Station. This would provide a link to the airport but also provide a quicker journey, especially for students and others from the Clifton area, travelling to or from London by train rather than going into the city.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Plus Bus from Llandudno takes in, All of Llandudno, Penrhyn Bay, Deganwy, Conwy and Conwy Morfa a massive area for £3.00 add on I think it must be down to the local operator how big the area is.
Penrhyn Bay has been included in the Colwyn Plusbus as well. It's halfway between the two, but when I lived there I found it more convenient to go via Colwyn Bay, especially for eastbound journeys. I wasn't very happy when it was removed from the Colwyn zone some years back, leaving me with a choice of going via Llandudno and leaving half an hour earlier, or buying a full-price day ticket for a bus to Colwyn. (It may have slipped back in again since, I haven't looked recently.)

In practice, when I was travelling alone, I tended to ride my bike to the station instead.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
A bit off topic and not directly relevant to be discussed in this thread but I will briefly mention something that has always puzzled me.

I have never understood why Skylink Express which passes East Midlands Parkway does not stop at the station. It currently ruins every 30 minutes from Nottingham City Centre to East Midlands Airport via Clifton and Nottingham Trent University Clifton Campus. It would not add more than 5 minutes to the journey for it to leave the dual carriageway and serve East Midlands Parkway Station. This would provide a link to the airport but also provide a quicker journey, especially for students and others from the Clifton area, travelling to or from London by train rather than going into the city.
Because, at your 5 minute extra, that's 10 minutes on a round trip. That's an extra bus and two extra drivers needed for the same frequency. Something has to give, either it has to be a lesser frequency or the fares have to go up or it has to attract a lot of extra custom. Passengers who would have travelled but are simply going to a different destination won't do! The train service from Nottingham is better. It is more frequent and to more destinations.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Here why don't people drive to connect to the train? Isn't there incentive for people to do that (such as free parking with a train ticket)?
I'm pointing out that building a railway station in a location where people have to drive to risks baking car use into the transport mix. That happens with all park and ride, but parking at a station should never be the only source of traffic for a new station. It's an extremely poor use of public funding, which for things like new stations has been in short supply.

If someone from East Leake to London chooses to drive to East Midlands Parkway and catch the train from there, because they don't want to wait at the bus stop in the rain for the number 1 to Loughborough (which stops at the railway station), neither the railway nor the bus company have anything any better. But a car journey has been enabled by building the station.

That's also good as well as they can stop people driving into the city centre when there is a price differential in parking
The problem is that they can actually encourage more driving. For example, if you live in Furness Vale you could walk to your local station and catch the train to Manchester, a round trip for £13.90. Or, you can get into your car (which you'll realistically have to own if you want to live in Furness Vale) and drive it to Hazel Grove, where parking is free and the same ticket costs £7.20. This is even worse because of the extra money spent on increasing the capacity of the car park.

Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
I think that used to be the case regarding West Yorkshire, but the latest map of PlusBus availability from, for example, Leeds, shows a much reduced area.

Another quirk now seems to be that a Halifax PlusBus enables you to go all the way to Huddersfield, whereas with a Huddersfield equivalent, you have to get off at Elland!

[20 minutes of my life wasted perusing PlusBus maps!!]

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
I think that used to be the case regarding West Yorkshire, but the latest map of PlusBus availability from, for example, Leeds, shows a much reduced area.

Another quirk now seems to be that a Halifax PlusBus enables you to go all the way to Huddersfield, whereas with a Huddersfield equivalent, you have to get off at Elland!

[20 minutes of my life wasted perusing PlusBus maps!!]
This is wrong and you are guilty of selective reading; whilst the map indicates the Huddersfield (or wherever) area, you need to read the words at the top of the page:
A Huddersfield PlusBus ticket gives you unlimited bus travel on all operators’ services around the West Yorkshire zone,
Clicking on the word 'zone' takes you to a map for the wider West Yorkshire PlusBus area.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.