• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why are there double sets of ticket barriers at Waterloo East?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmartin

When you go down to the jubilee line at southwark. Can't see any reason for any since it's an interchange?

Instead you have to go through two sets?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

steamybrian

Established Member
Is one set for leaving the National Rail station and the other set for entering the Underground station..?
Southwark interchange I found in the past "difficult" to use so now when alighting at Waterloo East I use Waterloo Underground station. One such oddity was that you could NOT leave a National Rail train descend the stairs and exit through Southwark tube station..!!!!! Unsure now if this is still prohibited even though the stairs and exits are there..!!!

Last edited:

MrB

Indeed the first set will be for leaving Waterloo East station. Then, from memory, there are some oyster machines on your left hand side, with the next barrier being for entry into the Jubilee Line @ Southwark London Underground Station.

plcd1

When you go down to the jubilee line at southwark. Can't see any reason for any since it's an interchange?

Instead you have to go through two sets?

It is relatively simple to understand once you accept the Oyster PAYG ticketing logic that you must touch in and then out to make a journey. What you can't do is have an interchange gateline which could mean people touch in then out then out again.

At Southwark LU gated their station first. Waterloo East was ungated. The plan a long time ago was that there would be an exit to the street between where LU had a gateline and where Waterloo East's boundary was. It was never built meaning that you exited LU's paid area and were then immediately inside South Eastern's paid area. In the old days you could, in theory, wander through Waterloo East and then exit to the street without any intervention as the station was open. When South Eastern toddled along and gated Waterloo East they had no option but to put a gateline near the Southwark Gateline. This is so that people enter and exit each paid area in the proper sequence so the PAYG ticket logic can work correctly. Southwark and Waterloo East are also an "out of station interchange" for the purposes of Oyster.

I believe some special arrangement was put in place that if you enter at Waterloo East and exit at Southwark, effectively just walking through both stations, that you pay only a small sum for the privilege.

If someone wants to say it's all a bit crazy then they're probably right but it is a real oddity to have no means of reaching the street between different gatelines even in linked / adjacent LU and NR stations.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Suppose you are located between the Waterloo East NR barrier line and the LU Southwark barrier line, and the fire alarm goes off. Is the strategy to evacuate into the paid area of the unaffected station, or is there a direct fire escape from the intermediate unpaid area?

MrB

Suppose you are located between the Waterloo East NR barrier line and the LU Southwark barrier line, and the fire alarm goes off. Is the strategy to evacuate into the paid area of the unaffected station, or is there a direct fire escape from the intermediate unpaid area?

Might need an FoI request to get this sort of information.

Simon11

Established Member
In case of a fire alarm, most modern gatelines will open automatically.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In case of a fire alarm, most modern gatelines will open automatically.
I think the question is, what fire alarm system activation will open the gates, that of Waterloo East, or Southwark, stations?

From memory there is an emergency exit situated in "No Mans Land."

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A group of us saw some friends off at Waterloo East (NR), after entering from the ungated side, and decided to exit from the Southwark exit but were stopped by an individual who decided that we must not exit that way and we would require a platform ticket to exit. So we had to go back the other way, and asked in the ticket office about this, they said they do not issue platform tickets.

Just a fairly typical day in our disjointed railway industry, where the passenger is sometimes an inconvenience to the running of the railway, in the eyes of certain individuals.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I think the question is, what fire alarm system activation will open the gates, that of Waterloo East, or Southwark, stations?

I would imagine that the Southwark and Waterloo East fire alarm systems are linked together, so one going off would trigger at least a warning on the other.

plcd1

I would imagine that the Southwark and Waterloo East fire alarm systems are linked together, so one going off would trigger at least a warning on the other.

That would be my guess too. Given the stations are joined together and there is the unusual gateline situation I'd expect the risk to have been properly identfied and for both gatelines to open in the event of the alarm being triggered.

Emblematic

From memory there is an emergency exit situated in "No Mans Land."

There is indeed, here.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
It is relatively simple to understand once you accept the Oyster PAYG ticketing logic that you must touch in and then out to make a journey. What you can't do is have an interchange gateline which could mean people touch in then out then out again.

At Southwark LU gated their station first. Waterloo East was ungated. The plan a long time ago was that there would be an exit to the street between where LU had a gateline and where Waterloo East's boundary was. It was never built meaning that you exited LU's paid area and were then immediately inside South Eastern's paid area. In the old days you could, in theory, wander through Waterloo East and then exit to the street without any intervention as the station was open. When South Eastern toddled along and gated Waterloo East they had no option but to put a gateline near the Southwark Gateline. This is so that people enter and exit each paid area in the proper sequence so the PAYG ticket logic can work correctly.

I'll stop you there because that's not quite right. The gateline for Waterloo East at the entrance to the overbridge from Waterloo proper is quite a recent installation, 2013 or 14. For a number of years it was just yellow standalone Oyster readers along the overbridge. The gatelines at the Southwark interchange and at the top of the stairs from Sandell Street are older.

I don't know what the correct reason for adding in the Southeastern gateline at the Southwark exit of Waterloo East is, but given that barriers can be programmed to act as interchange if they detect an open journey (as at Canary Wharf LU, for example) that is also unlikely to be it. As for when they showed up, it may well have been towards the end of 2009 in preparation for the acceptance of Oyster PAYG on Southeastern.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I'll stop you there because that's not quite right. The gateline for Waterloo East at the entrance to the overbridge from Waterloo proper is quite a recent installation, 2013 or 14.

Didn't they come in around about the time the shopping balcony opened, or shortly after? Whenever it was, there's still an instruction notice just inside the gateline, on the large round central pillar, that tells you that you must buy a ticket from the TVMs on the bridge near the platform ramps...

You can just see it here on one of the 'stations made easy' photos for WAE - which doesn't reflect the current situation because it hasn't been updated properly since the balcony was built: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/SME/html/NRE_WAE/images/photos/800/o3314-0000018.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.