• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why are Virgin telling customers that NR Travel Vouchers cannot be used on GEX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle73

On Moderation
This has just come up with a question asked on the Trip Advisor London forum. GEX is a National Rail service, so as far as I'm concerned there is absolutely no reason why they should not be valid.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They are. Is there possibly confusion with HEx?

(Though there is no reason they can't be used on a through ticket onto HEx as that is a normal train ticket - indeed I did precisely that on Saturday)

RJ

Established Member
This has just come up with a question asked on the Trip Advisor London forum. GEX is a National Rail service, so as far as I'm concerned there is absolutely no reason why they should not be valid.

The answer to your question is that they are mistaken and providing wrong information.

Where it comes to the railways and ticketing, it's not very difficult to become a victim of wrong information and out of pocket as a result.

Last edited:

Bungle73

On Moderation
They are. Is there possibly confusion with HEx?

(Though there is no reason they can't be used on a through ticket onto HEx as that is a normal train ticket - indeed I did precisely that on Saturday)

Nope. They didn't say which "Virgin" they were referring to, but on VTEC's website is states:

National Rail Travel Vouchers are valid for 12 months and you can use them with any UK Train Operating Company (except for the London Underground and Heathrow and Gatwick Express). You can use them when buying tickets at any manned station, and on-board to buy food and drinks from the Foodbar.

That's what the person quoted so I'm guessing it is the "correct" Virgin.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The answer to your question is that they are mistaken and providing wrong information.

That's what I thought.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I would like to mention that the below quote in reference to Gatwick Express TOC

National Rail Travel Vouchers are valid for 12 months and you can use them with any UK Train Operating Company (except for the London Underground and Heathrow and Gatwick Express). You can use them when buying tickets at any manned station, and on-board to buy food and drinks from the Foodbar.

is incorrect, as Gatwick Express is not a TOC.

The TOC's name that runs services along London, Brighton, & South Coast Railway metals is actually called Govia Thameslink Railway.

Think of it in a similar way to the former Glasgow Rangers Football Club, which no longer exists as they went into liquidation back in 2012, when they were caught operating a tax dodging scheme/scam. The present team based at Ibrox is called Rangers International Football Club, which were formed in 2012 and started out as a brand new team.

The above paragraph should really be in the Football thread in the General Discussion section, so I'll leave it at that.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I don't think we need to get into the whole discussion about Thameslink/Southern/Gat Ex, etc. here. There are better threads for such discussion.

Suffice to say that someone made a mistake with the information as RTVs are a valid form of payment for any Gat Ex product.

talldave

Established Member
It's surreal really, there's no such thing as a (paper) Gatwick Express ticket for you to not be able to buy with an RTV! They'd have to prohibit purchase of Any Permitted tickets between Gatwick and London.

Sacro

Are they valid on Northern Irish railways or is this another mistake?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
They are not valid in Northern Ireland.

TUC

Established Member
They are not valid in Northern Ireland.

I think the point being made in this respect is that the quoted section above refers to RTVs being valid on any UK train operating company whereas it should say any GB train operating company.

Status
Not open for further replies.