• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why can't driving licences be used instead of Photocards for Season Ticket ID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clip

Established Member
In which case I consider your point to be void, and maintain that the UK driving licence is the gold standard of proof of address in the UK, i.e. is the most effective document for that purpose for normal daily life including contact with the Government such as DBS checks and checks conducted for official business.

If you wish to counter that point, evidence is the only sensible way to do so.

it really isnt this alleged gold standard you mention. People forget to change address on their license all the time and as such the last time i had to get some documents done they wouldnt accept it without another form of confirmation of my address because of that very reason

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dutchflyer

Established Member
it CAN be done -on the continent. Just back from a trip to HUngary, the Budapest-city passes can be combined with any official foto-ID, also from any other EU-country. You just tip in the last 5 or 6 or so letters/digits on the machine whilst ordering one and of course if checked, this has also to be produced beside the printed season ticket. But then of course, there and in any other EU-country there is no problem with people using their card-IDs. In Germany often a combination (by name- printed or written) is seen as sufficient.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Isn't it the case in Germany that it's illegal to use the ID card for that purpose, hence why DB don't use it and use a credit card or similar to validate their "Advances"?

marshmallow

Many people have driving licenses that have photographs that are imported from their passports. That means that it a thrid generation picture and often of insufficient quality for (relatively) frequent identity verification.

If that is the case then how is it that retailers are able to accept them as proof of age for the sale of alcohol, when the penalties are so high for selling it to children?

Incidentally, I did once see someone purchase a paper weekly season ticket from a TVM at a TFL Rail station, and for the photocard ID number they used the number on a national ID card from another country. I imagine that it was a visitor who did not realise what is required. It would be interesting to know what happened if the ticket was ever inspected. Given that they clearly thought that this was the correct thing to do and had paid for a ticket, common sense would suggest that they should not have been penalised.

island

Veteran Member
I saw someone purchasing a paper ticket and entered her Oyster card number when prompted. I politely spoke up and said that wasn’t accepted, and she told me to sod off and she’d been doing it unchallenged for months.

We may see her at some point over in the Disputes forum.

marshmallow

I saw someone purchasing a paper ticket and entered her Oyster card number when prompted. I politely spoke up and said that wasn’t accepted, and she told me to sod off and she’d been doing it unchallenged for months.

We may see her at some point over in the Disputes forum.

It seems as though the TVMs should explain clearly what is meant by the photocard ID and show a photo of an example. Perhaps they should make you scan it and/or check that what has been entered is actually a valid season ticket photocard ID number as well.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Perhaps they should make you scan it and/or check that what has been entered is actually a valid season ticket photocard ID number as well.
For one, TVMs don't have barcode scanners, and for two, there is no complete record of photocards that have been issued. There are some on circulation that are of a considerable age! However, I think showing what is meant as a photocard would be a good idea.

PeterC

Established Member
For one, TVMs don't have barcode scanners, and for two, there is no complete record of photocards that have been issued. There are some on circulation that are of a considerable age! However, I think showing what is meant as a photocard would be a good idea.
But the number could still be validated if it was in a consistent format with a check digit.

PeterC

Established Member
How do you add check digits to photocards that have been issued without them?
So what dingbat came up with a numbering scheme that wasn't self validating? The concept was well known and in use long before railway photocards came along.

Status
Not open for further replies.