• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why can't driving licences be used instead of Photocards for Season Ticket ID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I can't agree with that. After all, they have chosen to employ me!

So go on, what document (that isn't more secure than a driving licence, as there is no better proof of address document available in the UK[1]) did they accept?

[1] Given that "proof of address" in the UK is only a "sort-of" thing, as there is no legal requirement to be registered as resident at one address unlike in other countries.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
So go on, what document (that isn't more secure than a driving licence, as there is no better proof of address document available in the UK[1]) did they accept?
That is completely irrelevant to the thread and not open for discussion.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That is completely irrelevant to the thread and not open for discussion.

In which case I consider your point to be void, and maintain that the UK driving licence is the gold standard of proof of address in the UK, i.e. is the most effective document for that purpose for normal daily life including contact with the Government such as DBS checks and checks conducted for official business.

If you wish to counter that point, evidence is the only sensible way to do so.

andrewkeith5

A face can slowly change over the years as people age. Hair styles change. Medical conditions etc. But even in a perfect world where everyone updates their photocard fraud can still occur.

I have withdrawn photocards a few times (along with the season tickets) over the years. Most of the time because the person using the ticket was clearly not the person on the photocard. In at least one of those incidents the matter progressed to court level. The case was an open and shut case and decided very quickly helped along by physical evidence of the ticket. The photocard. And the report of the BTP officer who verified the actual personal details of the person trying to use the ticket on the day.

The legal process loves evidence. Who would have thought the justice system would work well with physical evidence. Amazing.

GTR clearly don’t agree. They’ll gladly accept a driving licence provided the name matches that on the ITSO card.

Of course a face changes over time - Apple made a point of teling us all how Face ID monitors and learns precisely those small changes. Still doesn’t change the fact that HM Border Force will happily accept the photo on a ten year old passport.

If you’re that fussed, take a photograph of the proof of ID. As far as I’m aware, there is nothing in GDPR that stops you from doing this where there is a genuine need for the company to hold that data, of which investigating fraud would be a genuine need.

The BTP officer you referred to would probably have gladly relieved the passenger of that driving licence regardless if it clearly did not belong to them....

AM9

Veteran Member
... Please refer to point 2, above: nobody is proposing a complete replacement of the Photocard. What we're saying is that the railway seems to be pretty backward in insisting on it's own method of photo ID.
I wasn't suggesting that they would be proposing to replace the photocard. Please see the post that I was commenting on, i.e. #45.

andrewkeith5

I wasn't suggesting that they would be proposing to replace the photocard. Please see the post that I was commenting on, i.e. #45.

In response to someone saying that some people might object to using a driving licence as an identification document, you suggested instead that they don’t use a ticket that requires an identification document or don’t travel with a valid ticket. The implication would be that you expect in this scenario for the driving licence to be the only acceptable form of ID.

What am I getting wrong?

Edit: ohhh are you responding to the data protection piece? Apologies - I covered that in my last post...

Edit 2: No, sorry, I’m still confused. Maybe it’s just late...

Starmill

Veteran Member
I must admit that was my thought as well. I suppose it might not work for a very lengthy name but ninety-nine times out of a hundred it will work.
Oh, does your actual season ticket (not the photocard) not have your name printed on it?

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
A Drivers License contains all sorts of personal information such as address, dob, etc. Anyone could refuse to show a drivers license at any time to a member of railway staff on the grounds GDPR compliance. This would make ticket checking a train very difficult.

The GDPR primarily covers processing and storing of personal information. 'Looking at data provided by a customer for proof of ID' would not count as processing or storing information so has no relevance to the GDPR.

Again, if a person were so paranoid that they could not bare to allow a rail conductor to see their driving licence, then the photocard option would be fine.

Ih8earlies

GTR clearly don’t agree. They’ll gladly accept a driving licence provided the name matches that on the ITSO card.

Sure. GTR say it's ok. On GTR services. But that limits you to using a potentially any permitted season ticket only on GTR services as the T&C of using that smart card with a drivers licence only applies to use on a GTR service. GTR states on their website:

"For season tickets held on your Key Smartcard, you may need to produce identification to prove that the ticket you hold on your smartcard belongs to you. Suitable forms of identification include a pink photocard (which can be obtained from ticket offices), a passport or driving licence. If you are using your Key Smartcard on another operator’s services, you will need to obtain a pink photocard if you don’t already hold one."

So to get full use of your ticket across all operators you will still need a railway issued photocard.

Of course a face changes over time - Apple made a point of teling us all how Face ID monitors and learns precisely those small changes. Still doesn’t change the fact that HM Border Force will happily accept the photo on a ten year old passport.

In point of fact HM Border Force would probably NOT accept a Passport of a person who's face has changed drastically over nearly 10 years. Not without detaining that person for a few hours and investigating to confirm or deny that persons ID. (I have personally experienced this when travelling back into the UK on my previous UK Passport.)

If you’re that fussed, take a photograph of the proof of ID. As far as I’m aware, there is nothing in GDPR that stops you from doing this where there is a genuine need for the company to hold that data, of which investigating fraud would be a genuine need.

The GDPR primarily covers processing and storing of personal information. 'Looking at data provided by a customer for proof of ID' would not count as processing or storing information so has no relevance to the GDPR.

Again, if a person were so paranoid that they could not bare to allow a rail conductor to see their driving licence, then the photocard option would be fine.

First up, not everybody is going to be comfortable showing a complete stranger their Driving License when it contains personal details such as date and place of birth, address etc. A vulnerable person of any age might quite rightly be concerned as to what could worse case happen to them with that information revealed to somebody they don't personally know.

Second, If a photo of a drivers licence contains legible information of a personal or private nature - such as the info that many have already stated is the "Gold Standard" of proving your address or ID in the UK. It therefore contains the sort of information that an identity thief would be happy to get hold of. That would probably come under the GDPR. If someones data can be misused to that persons detriment the GDPR surely applies. The format of that data (a photo in this case) would be irrelevant. The key phrase used in GDPR legislation is "Personally Identifiable Information".

A Drivers License cannot be both the gold standard of UK ID AND immune to being protected under the GDPR legislations.

GDPR also requires that companies and individuals who hold or handle that data do so in an accountable way. There would need to a record of who has what data at the TOC and who it is shared with. That data must also be stored securely. Ticket Inspectors/Conductors running around with old photos of people's drivers licenses on their phones would definitely violate that principle.

The BTP officer you referred to would probably have gladly relieved the passenger of that driving licence regardless if it clearly did not belong to them....

They surely would have. But it isn't always possible to get any BTP or any Police to attend a ticket dispute. If there wasn't a Police Officer present I would not have been able to take and retain their Drivers License. But I was allowed to retain the photocard.

The only reason in that specific situation why I requested the BTP was because I had doubts as to the details I was given by the passenger. (Before the BTP arrived I had been given 3 different names and addresses. None of the addresses could even be verified as actually existing) It was therefore a reasonable request for BTP to establish their actual details. Turned out they were not only known to the Police, had an open arrest warrant out - they were also carrying a number of stolen wallets, phones and class A drugs. Sure, the fare evasion was a small fry charge added on. But because of the evidence retained they were found guilty of it and a hefty fine was added on to make their days in court extra special.

I also mentioned that those were just 2 reasons I could come up with on the fly. Other reasons could include (but not limited to):

The Photo on a Drivers License is smaller and contains security details to hinder forgeries. This makes it harder to look at, at a glance. Hindering it's usefulness to rail staff carrying out ticket checks.

Most people don't keep their season tickets in their main wallet. They keep them in a travel wallet - commonly a Railcard/Season Ticket wallet supplied by a TOC. Forgetting or losing your Ticket doesn't often mean they have forgotten or lost their actual wallet.

Many people (myself included) don't even like carrying important photo ID around out of the house for many reasons. I personallu don't want to risk losing it and having to mess aroumd reporting it as lost or stolen and applying for a replacement. I only take my DL or Passport out and about If I have a specific reason that requires it.

If you lose your ticket wallet with the drivers license - how long will it take to get a replacement Drivers License issued and delivered? Is it quicker than the time it takes someone in the booking office to process a Lost or Stolen Season Ticket form and slap a new photocard together? (Overnight at most/same day at many ticket offices)

I could go on, but clearly this is one of those situations where I'm not going to change my mind.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A driving license not sufficient when proving you have the right to work in the UK.

andrewkeith5

A driving license not sufficient when proving you have the right to work in the UK.

What on Earth has that got to do with it?

Incidentally, of course it isn’t....it is neither proof of nationality nor a visa. Passport will do the job nicely (with the same photo everyone here seems to moan about...)

dtaylor84

Sure. GTR say it's ok. On GTR services.

And this thread is about the possibility of extending that elsewhere. Obviously it isn't currently accepted.

First up, not everybody is going to be comfortable showing a complete stranger their Driving License when it contains personal details such as date and place of birth, address etc.

So they can choose to use the existing railway photocard.

Second, If a photo of a drivers licence contains legible information of a personal or private nature - such as the info that many have already stated is the "Gold Standard" of proving your address or ID in the UK. It therefore contains the sort of information that an identity thief would be happy to get hold of. That would probably come under the GDPR.

It wouldn't come under the GDPR any more than a bouncer checking ID at the door of a pub. In any case, even if it did come under the GDPR, that's not an insurmountable obstacle (or even a particularly large one, the railway deals with GDPR for many existing processes).

Ticket Inspectors/Conductors running around with old photos of people's drivers licenses on their phones would definitely violate that principle.

Well, yes, it would. But why on earth would they be doing that?

They surely would have. But it isn't always possible to get any BTP or any Police to attend a ticket dispute. If there wasn't a Police Officer present I would not have been able to take and retain their Drivers License. But I was allowed to retain the photocard.

You could always take a photo of it (don't worry, the GDPR has exemptions for crime prevention), or note the licence number.

Anyway, in the unlikely event a criminal chose to use their driving licence, it would at least have their address on it!

Many people (myself included) don't even like carrying important photo ID around out of the house for many reasons. I personallu don't want to risk losing it and having to mess aroumd reporting it as lost or stolen and applying for a replacement. I only take my DL or Passport out and about If I have a specific reason that requires it.
So, use a photocard. This isn't about replacing photocards, but making them optional for people with suitable existing ID!

If you lose your ticket wallet with the drivers license - how long will it take to get a replacement Drivers License issued and delivered? Is it quicker than the time it takes someone in the booking office to process a Lost or Stolen Season Ticket form and slap a new photocard together? (Overnight at most/same day at many ticket offices)

So, slap a new photocard together. This isn't about replacing photocards, but making them optional for people with suitable existing ID!

I could go on, but clearly this is one of those situations where I'm not going to change my mind.

Yes, it appears to be one of those situations where the actual arguments made are irrelevant - you've already made up your mind!

I'm on my phone, so can't refute all your points in detail, but while you have made plenty of points most of them seem to be overlooking that this is an optional idea. Alternatively they're grasping at random straws like GDPR, which you don't appear to have much knowledge of.

I would agree that the legibility of the photo is a relevant point, but I don't think the problem is realistically that great.

AM9

Veteran Member
Slightly OT but why are some posters here advocating the use of a non-existent document as identity proof. I have a Driving Licence which is the official UK document.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Indeed it does not, because it does not prove nationality, right to work etc.

But those matters are not of relevance to a railway season ticket. The sole purpose of photo ID on a railway season ticket is to prevent tickets being transferred.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Slightly OT but why are some posters here advocating the use of a non-existent document as identity proof. I have a Driving Licence which is the official UK document.

I always get the C and S backwards between the two terms. (You are licensed by way of a licence - I think!)

Ih8earlies

And this thread is about the possibility of extending that elsewhere. Obviously it isn't currently accepted.

Actually the thread started out as clearly indicated by Post#1 with the question "Why Can't a Drivers License be used?" Not Should. Even the thread title makes this clear at the top of the screen.

It wouldn't come under the GDPR any more than a bouncer checking ID at the door of a pub. In any case, even if it did come under the GDPR, that's not an insurmountable obstacle (or even a particularly large one, the railway deals with GDPR for many existing processes).

I was referring to the point made by another person that you could just take a photo of the drivers license instead of needing to retain it. (See post#64)

Well, yes, it would. But why on earth would they be doing that?

I didn't advocate taking photo's of people's licenses in the event of fare evasion or other events that require proof of ID. I am saying they shouldn't. Which is one of the reasons why a Drivers License is NOT suitable IMO as a season ticket photocard replacement.

You could always take a photo of it (don't worry, the GDPR has exemptions for crime prevention), or note the licence number.

See above and my previous post - specifically why a lot of people would not be happy to allow the info on their Drivers License to be taken by somebody they don't know. I would be intrigued to learn more from you about these exemptions for crime prevention and who those exemptions apply to.

Yes, it appears to be one of those situations where the actual arguments made are irrelevant - you've already made up your mind!

I'm on my phone, so can't refute all your points in detail, but while you have made plenty of points most of them seem to be overlooking that this is an optional idea. Alternatively they're grasping at random straws like GDPR, which you don't appear to have much knowledge of.

I would agree that the legibility of the photo is a relevant point, but I don't think the problem is realistically that great.

I don't think my points are irrelevant. I just think allowing use of Drivers License as a Photo Card replacement to be a bad idea.

Clearly you have also made up your mind.

As to being on your phone, I don't see the relevance of how this will limit your ability to refute my other points? (I am also posting on my phone.)

As to your belief that I clearly don't have much knowledge about the GDPR - I'm not an expert. But a simple google to find the EU page on GDPR legislation is rather easy. It confirms my points about what personal data is protected under the GDPR legislations. It confirms my points that a photo or record of any part of the data (including the license number) on a Drivers License will be protected under GDPR.

I am thankful that you actually agree on one of my points (visibility/readability) of the DL - but confused as to why you think it isn't realistically that much of an issue?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
GDPR doesn't prevent you doing anything you need to do with data provided care is taken in how you do it. That's the biggest myth going about it, and so many people seem to think it is the case. In particular you do not need consent for most data processing. Consent is the weakest basis on which to do data processing, as it can be withdrawn at any time and the subject may not experience any disadvantage by withdrawing it other than those things which would be impossible to deliver without it. You should try all the other bases first, and only when it comes down to "I want to do X but have no legal basis on which to do it" does consent come in - if the data subject is OK with what you propose to do, then you can do what you like.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
GDPR just requires that the end user have the ability to know and to consent to the use of their data.

As per the post above, consent is not required in all cases, although for best practice, a little clause like this would be more than enough.

By purchasing a railcard using your driving licence photo ID as a photocard number, you are required to present your ID on-demand to an empowered member of railway company employ for the purpose of verifying the owner of the ticket. You consent to the information on your driving licence being copied and retained for the purpose of identity verification in the event of examination of your card by a ticket inspector.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
GDPR just requires that the end user have the ability to know and to consent to the use of their data.

As per the post above, consent is not required in all cases, although for best practice, a little clause like this would be more than enough.

By purchasing a railcard using your driving licence photo ID as a photocard number, you are required to present your ID on-demand to an empowered member of railway company employ for the purpose of verifying the owner of the ticket. You consent to the information on your driving licence being copied and retained for the purpose of identity verification in the event of examination of your card by a ticket inspector.

Consent has to be freely withdrawable, though, so also add to that: If you wish to withdraw this consent, as you may at any time, please present your Season Ticket or Railcard together with your driving licence and a passport-sized photograph at any staffed station, and a replacement will be issued with a Railway photocard free of charge.

Almost nobody will ever do this, though.

Andrew1395

Isn't the point of the railway photo card that you link the photo card number to the season ticket, by putting the ID card number on the ticket. All the photo does is link the photo card to the face of the person showing the season ticket. So I can have my own photo card and if the season ticket does not have any photo card ID number on the ticket can be shared. So I can use a friends valid season ticket. It's not my season ticket. But it is my photo ID card or my driving license or my passport or my (add in any photo ID you like). So as long as you link the ID used to the ticket it serves the purpose.

island

Veteran Member
Except it doesn’t. Consent is one of six bases for the use of data under GDPR, not the be all and end all.

Clip

Established Member
Imagine all the faffing around youd have to do in finding your ticket and then your driving license when required. Its almost as if the wallet that combines your ticket and photocard wasn't good enough for the job

Last edited by a moderator:

mrmatt

In the 8 years I have been commuting by train the number of times my photcard has been checked outside of renewing my ticket is 0.

Given the DfT are pushing harder for seasons to go on smart cards either a photo printed on the card would seem to be the easiest way to streamline this.

mmh

Established Member
I don't understand what the problem is that people are trying to solve here. Mostly it seems to be suggestions that would make things less convenient for both the railway and the passenger.

When it comes to moves towards smartcards, the biggest precedent for what to do with photocards has been to get rid of them. Originally all London oyster cards were supposed to have a photocard too, over time weekly tickets didn't, then monthly didn't.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Bus companies, of course, have offered de-facto transferrable season tickets since near enough forever.

For short periods.

Increasingly, bus companies have dropped photocards for all tickets - some now market their transferability.

Here in West Yorkshire, back in the 80s you could get a Metropass bus pass which was a couple of pounds more than the Metrocard. The pass was transferable and had no photocard. Now all MCards are transferable except for discounted ones which usually contain a photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.