• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do buses have the heating on in the Summer??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class 33

Established Member
Well not strictly all buses, but some of them do anyway. This type of bus here http://www.flickr.com/photos/gbbuspics/6884102250/ is one of the main offenders. Allways has the heating on however warm it is outside, only two openable windows at the front of the bus(why not more windows throughout the bus??), and those high back seats. Awful! A few weeks back when I was on one when the weather was much warmer(about 25C), it was packed to near capacity and a number of people commenting they felt uncomfortable and why an earth the heating was on. So why do drivers insist on putting the heating on when it's really not needed??? Absolutely sheer ridiculous!

Am not a fan of these buses as they are anyway, but especially hate travelling on them when the weather is warm and the heating is on! I've decided to avoid stepping onboard these things now, whenever possible.

Bring back the Bristol RE's http://www.flickr.com/photos/acd40/4706477889/ Far better and more comfortable buses to travel on!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
So why do drivers insist on putting the heating on when it's really not needed???

I wouldn't be too surprised if the temperature is set at the depots, and the driver only has control over the cab heater. If it's a problem, try asking the driver, as they may have some control, but it might be that they can't do anything about it.
On our Mk1 B7RLEs, the heating does seem to be constantly on, and I think it can only be changed by the fitters, but the Mk2s and 3s that we have, the driver has some control.
(Better than the Darts, mind, which only have 'hot' or 'cold', on an unmarked switch, though some have labels to say which way round it is).

It may also be because when a window is open, it's blowing cooler air over the thermostat, so it turns up the heaters to try and compensate.

Slough

What's equally as annoying though are busses that have air conditioning in and it's on until idiot people insist on opening the windows .

Shrimper

On our E400s it is driven by thermostat; as driver I can only control my cab heat/windscreen blower heat.

Unfortunately it would seem the thermostat is at a daft setting - I recall during the extremely hot phase late last month with the bus showing an outside temperature of 30º there was still warm air coming into the lower saloon:(

Status
Not open for further replies.