• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do Class 444's and 450's "squeak"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascot

Established Member
Heard this a while back. Basically they installed Jerry, now Jerry is a little mouse situated between the bogies so every time the shaft goes round it makes him alert, reason they installed this was to frighten the chavs away at Stechford as they would be scared as somethings living under it. However to keep the mouse awake they had to install slam doors so they would hear a loud bang and sometimes their tail would get caught and end up in notch 4.

323s now there just clapped out, since when do we get priority trains or nice 10 car locals stopping everywhere like the south east? We get stuck with bangors and mash units with 3 cars if your lucky!!

£56 though for a monthly season ticket :razz:

EDIT: As for the interlock AFAIK there New St proof (aka idiot locked) so you can turn your little key till the cows come home but that panel won't light up until below 3mph (but looking here they changed it??) and even better it's colour coordinated so the two red ones light up when you got to open them, they knock off when the doors open and the little blue one lights up :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

EDIT: As for the interlock AFAIK there New St proof (aka idiot locked) so you can turn your little key till the cows come home but that panel won't light up until below 3mph (but looking here they changed it??) and even better it's colour coordinated so the two red ones light up when you got to open them, they knock off when the doors open and the little blue one lights up :)

'tis set to 4mph on the SWT Desiro's, there is a manual override panel for the controls to come on in the cab if it is required (mainly for when the bell is required for emergency stop).

Ascot

Established Member
'tis set to 4mph on the SWT Desiro's, there is a manual override panel for the controls to come on in the cab if it is required (mainly for when the bell is required for emergency stop).

So by the time you see someone jumping out, you have to find the override, flick it, then go to the panels and push it on SWTs by which time your a few miles gone. Or better to make it clearer as there's like 4? bell buttons on the cab? (2x cab DOO ones and 2x Cab door walls or there one by the uncouple buttons and only one DOO button?)

andel

360s also make the same squeek... its quite handly to know when I'm pulling off so I can get excited about getting home sooner :)

T

Tom

So by the time you see someone jumping out, you have to find the override, flick it, then go to the panels and push it on SWTs by which time your a few miles gone. Or better to make it clearer as there's like 4? bell buttons on the cab? (2x cab DOO ones and 2x Cab door walls or there one by the uncouple buttons and only one DOO button?)

The override are the buttons in the cab ... :p

Ascot

Established Member
There's a video posted on here a while back about some kids playing with the SWT announcement, was just trying to look for it but couldn't find it. There's nothing to the PA anyway Tom just a few wires, not interlocking..

T

Tom

There's a video posted on here a while back about some kids playing with the SWT announcement, was just trying to look for it but couldn't find it. There's nothing to the PA anyway Tom just a few wires, not interlocking..

You did say the entire local door controls went off ... :)

If I'm not mistaken, the PA is in the local door control panel.

Ascot

Established Member
You did say the entire local door controls went off ... :)

If I'm not mistaken, the PA is in the local door control panel.

Door controls yes, PA is in a separate partition below the door controls, also be pretty pointless to install idiot locks on the PA for 4mph though.

Juniper Driver

Established Member
The noise did seem to change on them a few months back, can't describe exactly what the difference is, but it is noticeable to people like me who have to travel on the wretched things every day.

The noise has changed.It used to be the same noise from pulling away to motoring but now when the train pulls away there is a different sound which changes into the normal sound just after it gets moving.I noticed this and also another thing is it seemed to happen overnight throught out the whole class.

kestrel

Im sure the 332s also make this sound too but more of a EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE sound rather than it alternating.

driving both 360's and 332's today8-)

Its the IGBT's as said earlier, the frequency change is more noticable on the 332 than the 360;)

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Im driving a Juniper 458 tommorow for the first time since 18 October.No desiro's for me today methinx.I think it's 455s.

T

Tom

The noise has changed.It used to be the same noise from pulling away to motoring but now when the train pulls away there is a different sound which changes into the normal sound just after it gets moving.I noticed this and also another thing is it seemed to happen overnight throught out the whole class.

Certainly didn't - happened after a certain exam for each unit, can't recall which one though. Involved upgrading the software in the unit so done after a particular exam at Northam...

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Thanx.I think the software upgrades have improved the units.

There is a few drivers at Waterloo who moan at the "delay" between when they move the brake handle and when the brakes actually apply.A second or perhaps less delay.I keep saying to them that I dont have problems with them and usually do good confident stops rolling up to the stop blocks unlike the early days on them.

Im sure that they are more improved to what they were like three and a half years ago as well as us all being inexperienced in driving the units and compensating for said delay at the time.

Established Member
Thanx.I think the software upgrades have improved the units.

There is a few drivers at Waterloo who moan at the "delay" between when they move the brake handle and when the brakes actually apply.A second or perhaps less delay.I keep saying to them that I dont have problems with them and usually do good confident stops rolling up to the stop blocks unlike the early days on them.
Riots with Walsalls at the moment 153+170 combos as the brake kicks in at different times on each unit so stopping is a bit of a guess ! Farce !

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Riots with Walsalls at the moment 153+170 combos as the brake kicks in at different times on each unit so stopping is a bit of a guess ! Farce !

I remember working the 57/63 slam door combos.Usually the 57s used to push the 63s if they were at the back.<D

Status
Not open for further replies.