• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do Class 66s ying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordac

Established Member
What makes that noise? My guess is traction motors, but it is just a guess..

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I believe it is simply the noise made by the Prime Mover operating at idle revs. Class 59s and 60s make a similar noise and you hear it on the 66s mainly when they are coasting or stationary. I hasten to add this is simply an opinion formed from observations, I could well be completely wrong.

ExRes

Established Member
It's actually the screaming of the drivers as they are being catapulted about the cabs by the appalling seats

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's actually the screaming of the drivers as they are being catapulted about the cabs by the appalling seats

:lol:
I always thought it was just the slightly unusual sound that a two stroke diesel makes. I remember Detroit Diesel engines (also two stroke) in lorries in the 80s having a slightly unusual (and not dissimilar) sound when they were ticking over.

BestWestern

Established Member
I believe it is simply the noise made by the Prime Mover operating at idle revs.

Ughhhh :cry: :cry:

It's an engine! An engine!! I can live with powerplant, if one must use mildly daft terms, but please not the dreaded "prime mover". Pure American trash talk. How many British locomotives have a "secondary mover", for heaven's sake? There is only one, and it's called the engine! As for "head end power"....

OH MY GAAAAAAAAAAAAD as our Yankee cousins might say :roll:

squizzler

Established Member
It's a two stroke engine which, unlike 4 stroke, does not naturally pump the gasses through. The inlet air needs to be maintained at a positive pressure so the charge air purges the exhaust when both inlet and exhaust ports are open.

The turbo maintains this inlet pressure at high revs but at low revs this is augmented by mechanical drive to the turbocharger (as per traditional supercharger). I think it is this mechanical drive to the blower that makes the prime - ahem, engine - "ying" at low speed.

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member
It's a two stroke engine which, unlike 4 stroke, does not naturally pump the gasses through. The inlet air needs to be maintained at a positive pressure so the charge air purges the exhaust when both inlet and exhaust ports are open.

The turbo maintains this inlet pressure at high revs but at low revs this is augmented by mechanical drive to the turbocharger (as per traditional supercharger). I think it is this mechanical drive to the blower that makes the prime - ahem, engine - "ying" at low speed.

Well done, sir ;) :D

Yew

Established Member

It's an engine! An engine!! I can live with powerplant, if one must use mildly daft terms, but please not the dreaded "prime mover". Pure American trash talk. How many British locomotives have a "secondary mover", for heaven's sake? There is only one, and it's called the engine! As for "head end power"....

Literally all diesel electric locomotives have a secondary mover, the traction motors...

Suraggu

It is also how certain European nations call Engines.

zn1

I was always told to refer a Diesel locomotive engine as a "power unit"

On Moderation

To me, on a diesel electric, "power unit" = engine + generator/alternator.

The engine is the engine!!!!!

ExRes

Established Member

On all my traction courses I was directed to the 'engine compartment', never the 'prime mover compartment' or 'power unit compartment' so boring old 'engine' was always good enough for me

Mordac

Established Member
Thank you very much to everyone who replied. Very helpful.

While we're on the subject of traction noises, someone wouldn't know why Desiros sing? :D

BestWestern

Established Member
Literally all diesel electric locomotives have a secondary mover, the traction motors...

Is that the Yank term for those? A diesel-electric locomotive only has one set of 'movers', the traction motors. The engine doesn't 'move' anything (except the alternator!), it generates!

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member
Class 73 springs to mind. :D

Ah ha, but they still only have one means of moving - the traction motors. They're just dual powered! :D

A Western could be said to have more than one 'mover', but they might argue over which of them is "prime"!!

Last edited:

GW43125

Established Member

While we're on the subject of traction noises, someone wouldn't know why Desiros sing? :D

It's me wailing at the thought of having to hear/travel on the b-----d things

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is that the Yank term for those? A diesel-electric locomotive only has one set of 'movers', the traction motors. The engine doesn't 'move' anything (except the alternator!), it generates!

Isn't it meant to be (in US-speak) that the prime mover is the "big engine" that generates traction power, while there might be a separate generator for doing hotel power etc?

dgl

Established Member

Due to the IGBT traction covertors, the reason for the noise is due to the high frequency (well into the audio range) that the convertors work at (these are the devices that control the power going to the traction motors), listen to the Electric EuroSprinter (i.e. the ÖBB Taurus) for some more impressive 'singing'.

On Moderation
Due to the IGBT traction covertors, the reason for the noise is due to the high frequency (well into the audio range) that the convertors work at (these are the devices that control the power going to the traction motors), listen to the Electric EuroSprinter (i.e. the ÖBB Taurus) for some more impressive 'singing'.

I was going to say.... Desiros do not sing.

Taurus 1 and Taurus 2 locos are a completely different matter though! Absolutely magnificent machines.

E_Reeves

Established Member
Almost all locomotive types fitted with a specific variant of the EMD 710 powerplant (12N-710G3B-EC, to be precise) make the 'ying-ying' noise when at idle. The locos fitted as such are:
All except the Long Island locos emit the 'ying-ying' noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3FD-228ZvQ

That should work for the last link. I think you did http://https://... by accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.