• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do Disabled railcards exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

centraltrains

Question based off reading this thread: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/validity-of-disabled-railcard.170430/ but felt it was a bit too off topic for there.

Do disabled railcards exist as an incentivize to encourage rail travel or to accommodate reasonable adjustments?

To state my position: I have a disabled railcard as I get PIP as I have Autism. (I have only just started doing some journeys on my own after travel training)

I never feel that using a disabled railcard discounted ticket on my own would justify a discount (via the railcard). For my context, there is no reason why I would need to be incentivized to travel by rail with a discount, and don't need a discount, so don't see how a discount is morally justifiable. If there is no reason where my disability specifically stops me from needing assistance/discount it doesn't feel justified.

If travelling with a carer, I can see that there is a valid reason for a discount if I can't travel on my own.
When visiting attractions, a reasonable adjustment is usually made, so the carer can enter free as the disabled person wouldn't be able to enter on their own. I don't see why this circumstance can't apply for rail travel? Following that logic, I would expect a disabled railcard to just offer free travel to the carer when the disabled person has full priced tickets. I wonder why it isn't like this with trains as it could surely be stated it is otherwise discriminatory in the same way as it would for visiting attractions?

Surely in a society where equality seems to be the main aim, you could question that they don't help promote equality where the discount isn't specific to just meet need?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Disabled people often suffer lower earnings potential through no fault of their own.

We should do everything we can to make rail travel more affordable for them.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
I think it's partly a historic thing: this webpage tells us that

The Disabled Persons Railcard was first introduced by British Rail in 1981, in order to mark the International Year of Disabled Persons.

Which is well before the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (and the subsequent Equality Act) came into existence.

But I would suggest that there are still a large number of disabled people who will find the railcard helps level the playing field in that they can't drive, and so they don't have easy access to cheap motor travel: the discount from the railcard goes some way towards making travel as affordable for someone with a disability that prevents them driving as it is for someone who is able to drive.

Metroman62

I think it's partly a historic thing: this webpage tells us that

Which is well before the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (and the subsequent Equality Act) came into existence.

But I would suggest that there are still a large number of disabled people who will find the railcard helps level the playing field in that they can't drive, and so they don't have easy access to cheap motor travel: the discount from the railcard goes some way towards making travel as affordable for someone with a disability that prevents them driving as it is for someone who is able to drive.

That is why I have the card. I can’t drive so don’t have a choice of travel often, so am grateful for the card

Status
Not open for further replies.