• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do people still use Trainline.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, it makes absolutely no sense! If I ever need to buy online, e.g. for advance fares, I will use the TOC that the majority of my journey takes place on. My partner still uses the Trainline for all tickets and it drives me insane. Do you think people are aware you can book tickets through the TOC?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I also rant and rave about it. But they got their advertising and marketing right.

Andrew1395

To be fair the user experience is better than most- the journey planner and live updates are better than National Rail enquiries

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The app is pretty good and does not charge fees. But for a web booking I generally use the TOC site if only because of being able to use a seat selector in some cases.

Journeyman

Established Member
I've often pointed out that any booking website will sell you any ticket, and that the bookings are all driven off the same fares and reservations database. All the different sites do is present the information a bit differently, but people still swear blind that Trainline is cheaper, despite the existence of fees.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've often pointed out that any booking website will sell you any ticket, and that the bookings are all driven off the same fares and reservations database. All the different sites do is present the information a bit differently, but people still swear blind that Trainline is cheaper, despite the existence of fees.

It was the case that only Trainline based sites (e.g. VTWC) or Trainline itself could do Virgin's "Saver Half" Off Peak Singles, so this could be a reason for this impression being held. I don't think that's true any more though?

gray1404

Established Member
If trainline is able to sell tickets on their app without applying fees then there is no reason they cannot sell tickets through their full website and not charge fees either. It is totally wrong.

I am also having an ongoing problem that when I use a trainline powered site (their own and TOCs) and view a fares list, it only shows undiscounted fares without my railcard discount. It is only in the final stages of the booking will it finally reduce it to the discounted fare.

I am also having an ongoing problem that when I use a trainline powered site (their own and TOCs) and view a fares list, it only shows undiscounted fares without my railcard discount. It is only in the final stages of the booking will it finally reduce it to the discounted fare.
Click on '1 adult no railcards' and then 'add railcard' before 'get times and tickets'.

gray1404

Established Member
So clicking on Add Railcard for it to bring up a second railcard list before doing the search makes sure it applies the first railcard discount for the entire process (not just at the final stages)? Thanks!

For info, I have never been overcharged as it seems to apply the railcard discount before the final screen when you pay (on the TOC based trainline site of course, never use trainline directly!)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If trainline is able to sell tickets on their app without applying fees then there is no reason they cannot sell tickets through their full website and not charge fees either. It is totally wrong.

They're a commercial company, they can do what they like (within the law), and you are at liberty not to use them. If you like their UI, just choose a TOC site that uses their back-end.

TOCs are not permitted by their franchise agreement to charge booking or card fees (Merseyrail got slapped for the latter early on during their present tenure) and so they don't.

gray1404

Established Member
My partner still uses the Trainline for all tickets and it drives me insane.

Perhaps you could try to persuade your partner to switch to a TOC based site that is powered by trainline for the sake of no booking fees AND suggest ones that are similar in interface for the sake of them still being able to use a site they are familiar with. (Cross Country and East Midlands Trains spring to mind).

So clicking on Add Railcard for it to bring up a second railcard list before doing the search makes sure it applies the first railcard discount for the entire process (not just at the final stages)? Thanks!

For info, I have never been overcharged as it seems to apply the railcard discount before the final screen when you pay (on the TOC based trainline site of course, never use trainline directly!)
After I click on Add Railcard (once), it shows the discounted fares - or does it depend on which railcard you have? This worked on Trainline's own site and VTWC

ashkeba

Established Member
Is trainline the rubbish one used by lots of TOCs that doesn't allow bike reservations? Why are TOCs allowed to use a defective service?

James H

Yes, it is amazing how many otherwise sensible people completely fall for Trainline's marketing and believe that they are getting a better deal booking through then.

QANN93

They're marketing is spot on, and if it's an on the day ticket. I use it, the app is byfar the prettiest and easiest to use. As for saving money using Trainline. Utter BS and people fall for it

gray1404

Established Member
I think there are a number of misleading claims that are used in marketing by trainline, train companies with regards to booking on their own websites and independent online retailer of national rail tickets. In short, buying an Advance ticket (which is also available in advance from a booking office) rather then a walk up ticket on the day. However in the marketing this translates to buying your ticket in advance from us rather then at the station on the day.

I believe this is very misleading and a total lie. It gives people the impression, wrongly, that trainline (or whichever online retailer) can sell fares that booking offices can't and that they can get some special deal purely by booking online. The end result, people don't know the full details of ticketing (e.g. Advance tickets vs Walk Ups and where/when they can be sold) and booking at trainline just becomes their default and they do so without questioning. Thus, they pay booking fees and more for their tickets.

Claims like "buying from us can save you X % compared with buying at the station" should be replaced with Buying things like: "Buying an Advance ticket can be X % cheaper then buying an Anytime ticket."

QANN93

Y
I think there are a number of misleading claims that are used in marketing by trainline, train companies with regards to booking on their own websites and independent online retailer of national rail tickets. In short, buying an Advance ticket (which is also available in advance from a booking office) rather then a walk up ticket on the day. However in the marketing this translates to buying your ticket in advance from us rather then at the station on the day.

I believe this is very misleading and a total lie. It gives people the impression, wrongly, that trainline (or whichever online retailer) can sell fares that booking offices can't and that they can get some special deal purely by booking online. The end result, people don't know the full details of ticketing (e.g. Advance tickets vs Walk Ups and where/when they can be sold) and booking at trainline just becomes their default and they do so without questioning. Thus, they pay booking fees and more for their tickets.

Claims like "buying from us can save you X % compared with buying at the station" should be replaced with Buying things like: "Buying an Advance ticket can be X % cheaper then buying an Anytime ticket."
Yes. It can be very misleading and I really do not know how they haven't been told off for it. Apart from that, and the fees. app and website and very, and are by far the easiest and prettiest to use out off all the direct train companies apps

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes. It can be very misleading and I really do not know how they haven't been told off for it.

Because they are very, very careful about what they say - none of it is false, you do save money by booking in advance on many if not most trains these days, and that is the line they push. They are careful never to claim you'll save more with them than others, people falsely derive that themselves.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Many people think tickets are always cheaper on trainline and that they have access to a special quota of cheaper tickets that no-one else has access to....

alistairlees

Established Member
To be fair, they have a very good product. They've invested a lot in it, in listening to customers, and focusing on what they want, and the product is much better than it was. On top of that they do good (and a lot of) marketing. So people buy from them.

The tiny tiny minority of railforum geeks is not relevant to their success. If you think it is, you need to enter the real world.

alistairlees

Established Member
It was the case that only Trainline based sites (e.g. VTWC) or Trainline itself could do Virgin's "Saver Half" Off Peak Singles, so this could be a reason for this impression being held. I don't think that's true any more though?
Not been true for nearly eight years I think.

James H

Y

Yes. It can be very misleading and I really do not know how they haven't been told off for it.
They did fall foul of the Advertising Standards Authority 10 years ago and they have been more careful with their wording since then.
The Guardian said:
Complainants said that the ads were misleading because they exaggerated the savings that could be made, implied that cheap advance tickets could only be bought on the thetrainline.com website, and suggested that special advance tickets for some journeys could not be bought online.
<snip>
The ASA dismissed the complaints that the ad implied that thetrainline.com was the only place to buy advance tickets.

However, the watchdog banned the TV ad because the basis of the claim of 39% savings online, as opposed to buying on the day of travel at a station, was not included in the commercial.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Trainline has multiple revenue streams, many of them direct with TOCs and other suppliers, and it is not dependent on retailing to individuals.
I imagine their business travel service is valued for its management capabilities, for which fees are expected.
They also have expanded into Europe with trainline.eu.
They also invest in new booking systems, and that activity needs to be funded. They are not selling their own inventory like the TOCs.
Booking fees are extremely common in the travel trade, eg EasyJet charges nominally £15 per booking (not per person/flight).
Trainline's regular clientele will therefore expect a level of fees.
I dare say they are quite possibly also "trusted" in a way that a railway TOC (regularly lambasted by the unions and media for "price-gouging") is not.
I don't use trainline either, but I can see why many people do.

_toommm_

Established Member
I for one am someone who tells people to steer clear of TTL at all costs, especially when you can log on the respective TOCs website and potentially save more money I.E. Unidays with LNER, the TPESTUDENT offer.

But I wouldn't say that what TTL are advertising is necessarily misleading. Below are two screenshots taken minutes ago, one from the mobile site, one from the full desktop website (albeit, on my phone):

Mobile:
Screenshot_20190725-200503_Chrome.jpg

Desktop:
Screenshot_20190725-200528_Chrome.jpg

TTL, as a premise, is quite clever as their entire business model is selling tickets, so you're greeted straight away with real-world examples of the savings you can achieve by booking in advance, put simply in percentage form.

The natural downside of a TOC's own website is that their front page will have an area to plan journeys/sell tickets, but they won't have savings at the forefront as they have a lot more to incorporate I.e. timetables/routes/policies etc.

What TTL might, to us, be a bit offhand as we all know that TTL saves you money versus buying on the day, not compared to any other website. But they don't claim to save you money compared to another website, so technically, what they're doing is above board, and their heads are above the water.

Yes they charge booking fees which is 'meh', but that's really the only downside IMO. They're not doing much wrong IMO, and they do have an interface that works with clever marketing that also works.

sheff1

Established Member
It gives people the impression, wrongly, that trainline (or whichever online retailer) can sell fares that booking offices can't and that they can get some special deal purely by booking online.

I don't use Trainline but they, and other online retailers, will certainly sell fares that my local booking office "can't" sell.

More generally, I don't know why people get upset about others using Trainline - it is their money and their choice ... much the same as someone who pays £1.65 for a bottle of fizzy drink at WH Smiths when they could get 2 bottles of the same drink for £1 at Poundland.

Steph_acc

I think the big thing is the ease of use. It's what attracted and kept me when I knew nothing about trains and why I keep it around now, although I check for tickets in other places too to get the best price.

Even if I book somewhere different, I'll often use the app to check if a train is delayed, platforms etc. as I find it a little quicker to wrangle than realtime trains.

The interface is very simple and well designed. For example, was buying a walk up ticket the other week, tried to use a TVM but couldn't for the life of me work out how to get it to give me the ticket I wanted, gave up, switched to trainline app and had ticket I wanted booked in less than 30 seconds.

RJ

Established Member
Think about it.

Most of you take an enhanced level of interest in the railways, have a great deal of technical knowledge and understand how the ticketing system works. Most people don't however. So many people don't understand the concept of through tickets for example and genuinely believe they must buy a seperate ticket for each leg of their journey.

TOCs will struggle to complete with The Trainline, because their branding turns potential custom away. TOCs plaster their own name all over their websites, the URL and the result is that the many people who aren't technical experts on ticketing will only think to go to their website if they are making a journey involving one of their trains.

Now most people don't want to sign up to loads of different TOC websites. The Trainline is a household name without the branding stigma of being allied to just one TOC. People know they can buy tickets nationwide on that site and this will drive loyalty. People will pay the booking fee for the perceived convenience of being able to buy all their tickets in one place.

A die hard value seeker like me wouldn't touch that website with a ten foot bargepole, unless I got something out of it like enhanced levels of cashback or oodles of points...

Clip

Established Member

Go to the ASA with your claim that they are lying then, I think they got pulled once about their marketing but if you feel so strongly then make a complaint and let us know how you get on.

Whatever peoples feelings about them on here - they are a third party retailer and are doing a very fine job of both selling tickets and selling their engine to other parties so im guessing they are doing something right.

Status
Not open for further replies.