• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do some job vacancies have their closing date extended?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I wanted to start this thread to query a random question. Why do some job vacancies have their closing dates extended?

I've applied for a railway job and the closing date was the 17th June (last Monday) and it has now been extended until the 1st July which is another two weeks. It's a little frustrating because it's just prolonging the wait for any updates in the future. The TOC are unlikely to progress the applications until after the 1st July and by the time they have conducted the paper sift it may be at least two further weeks beyond that, maybe even another month.

Does anyone know why this could happen and if it is a good thing? Also I've noticed that Northern sometime readvertise jobs and state previous applicants cannot re-apply. Again why would this happen as I'm sure, by the volume of applications there must be a few decent candidates in there first time round to get the job?!?!?!?!?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GG96LFC

I’m not sure about re-releasing adverts, but I think a company may extend a closing date if they don’t receive many applications. It’s not a bad thing, they’re probably looking to get a good number of applicants to save them readvertising in future. In that sense, maybe a job is readvertised if interviews are done and the company doesn’t feel like any of the interviewees were what they are looking for

pdeaves

Established Member
Does anyone know why this [extending deadline] could happen and if it is a good thing?
The most obvious reason is that they think there are insufficient (not necessarily 'no') viable applications.

Also I've noticed that Northern sometime readvertise jobs and state previous applicants cannot re-apply. Again why would this happen
It turns out that none of the applicants was suitable. A high number of applications does not necessarily equate to sufficient people of the right calibre.

Status
Not open for further replies.