• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do some people queue rather than use a TVM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

talltim

Established Member
In the uk you would find it hard to buy a car (not a £500 banger) using cash due to the processes the dealers have to go through to prevent money laundering. Not an actual ban, but it has the same effect.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Robertj21a

On Moderation
You may also struggle to deposit large sums of cash into your personal bank account.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
I don't have the first idea how a non-English speaker negotiates the purchase of a ticket from Gatwick to London, I'm sure most get thoroughly ripped off, and that's pretty shameful as a welcome to our nation.

I don't know, I think it's pretty authentic as to what one can expect here :roll: ;)

island

Veteran Member
I don't see any need to apologise for asking a question.

Unfortunately I messed up the Forbes link and can't seem to copy it — it is the fourth or fifth link on Google should you choose to.

Last edited:

Holly

Yes. High value transactions. This is a law relating to money laundering and tax evasion. It has nothing to do with the legitimate purchases of train tickets at a ticket vending machine!
Train tickets are rapidly becoming high value transactions.

A couple of years ago I needed to make a journey that could not be planned in advance. £126 for a second class single Chester to Bracknell.
"You can have a return for only £1 more" said the booking clerk.
I declined in the certain knowledge that I would not be making the return journey by rail.
I'm sure others have paid more for a comparable journey.

me123

Established Member
I was waiting for this comment...

Very few people are going to buy >£1000 of rail tickets in a single transaction and pay for them in cash. The only common transaction >£1000 is an annual or long-term season ticket. Rail tickets are still generally low-mid value transactions in the grand scheme of things (compared to, for example: cars, houses, expensive jewellery, etc).

Besides, I'm aware of no plans for the UK to follow a similar route to France and Italy and all the other countries.

Mike_0ne

Well, like at the super-market, I prefer to see a human when I buy something. I also feel like I am also helping someone keep their job - I know, kinda pompus to say, but a machine is no match for a human.

Alas, each time I went to print out pre-booked tickets (which I buy often), I just felt like I was an annoyance to the man/lady on the other side, so I use the machines now.

First time post, years I have lurked - liking reading the opinion/experience of the staff I see when I commute, just my two pennies worth on this subject.

cheers c:

Status
Not open for further replies.