• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do the media not understand railways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Hunt

(Devils advocate) Maybe another problem is that attention spans are so short these days. Hear a story, get the basic facts (even if they are inaccurate) then move on. Journos are there to do what the publisher and reader want; no time to write a properly presented story.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Is this the story... :?:

Every day's a school day! Never realised that Kellogg's owned the Pringles brand. ;)

The journo has an Anglo-Saxon sounding name. I'd bet this was taken from a press release first written in Spanish or Portuguese.

As it happens, I've been teaching "writing articles" in English once a week at a private university, whee 95% of students have English as a second language. It never ceases to amaze me how so many students who are otherwise fluent speakers, struggle to create good quality text, with sensibly structured stories.

I have one in particular who, I'd say has English skills, along with a vocabulary, that would put 75% of UK students to shame, but somehow when it comes to writing, while she has a good sense of structure, she still struggles to get it right. This is particularly true if she's working from a press release which is not in English, or has been translated from another language (as my scenario is above). Even though she feels it's not the best, she is very reluctant to edit the release language, probably out of insecurity that she can do better.

Writing well and concisely is a tough one to crack, even for native speakers.

ExRes

Established Member
Am I, other than MoleStation, the only one to notice the use of 'too' rather than 'to' in the headline? now that really is unbelievably pathetic reporting and editing

Status
Not open for further replies.