• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do ticket checks/sales not happen on some Rail Replacement services?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigy

So a few weeks ago I had to travel on a rail replacement service between Mossley and Manchester, as there's work taking place on Sundays. I had my money ready to buy a ticket, which I presumably thought would be from the driver, as the ticket office from the station was closed. However, to my surprise I boarded the bus and the driver mentioned nothing about tickets and passengers were just free to board. My friend informed me that this had happened before when he used the service. When we got to Victoria there was also no checks.

So I was wondering, is it common practice NOT to check or sell tickets on rail replacement service, and how do the TOC cover the costs of doing this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
There is already a thread on this subject in the "General Discussion" section.

RJ

Established Member
The drivers will be hired in from some local bus firm. They're there to drive the bus, not collect fares on behalf of the TOC. FCC have reportedly sent RPIs out on RR bus jobs however, doing people who didn't buy a ticket from the station!

clagmonster

Established Member
If the ticket office at your origin is open, you must buy a ticket there, however in the Ashton-under-Lyne to Manchester Victoria case, this is not so. Is there an accessible TVM?
If not, then if no tickets are available on the bus, you should pay at the booking office on arrival at Manchester Victoria.

Status
Not open for further replies.