• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do VTEC diverts call at Carlisle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The train won't be in reverse order.

As it enters Newcastle from the south first class will be at the rear, the London end. The train then reverses, heading out with first class at the front, still the London end. Travelling via Carlisle it enters Edinburgh from the west, meaning first class is at the front (the London/east end) on arrival at Waverley.

So long as they reverse the train at newcastle, rather than using the High Level bridge, it'll always be in the correct formation. It's easy enough to use the High Level bridge loop if it does end up out of formation though.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clansman

Established Member
The train won't be in reverse order.

As it enters Newcastle from the south first class will be at the rear, the London end. The train then reverses, heading out with first class at the front, still the London end. Travelling via Carlisle it enters Edinburgh from the west, meaning first class is at the front (the London/east end) on arrival at Waverley.

So long as they reverse the train at newcastle, rather than using the High Level bridge, it'll always be in the correct formation. It's easy enough to use the High Level bridge loop if it does end up out of formation though.

Ah I see now. So it's just a case of making sure to reverse at let's say Newcastle.

Last edited:

godfreycomplex

Established Member
They are also to set down, you can buy a ticket from Edinburgh - Carlisle and book on East Coast - they are also significantly slower than TPE / Virgin timetabled at 90 minutes compared to closer to 1h10 on the other operators

Not that anyone asked, but I believe the reasons for this are that HSTs and Mk4s are forbidden from using the EPS (Pendo/Voyager) speeds (which are often quite a bit higher than the "normal" speed between Carlisle and Carstairs owning to the line being a wee bit on the curve infested side) and also have the acceleration of an inebriated snail (unlike the 185s/350s of TPE), which makes Beattock an interesting experience.

It's been a few years since I've done this run, but last time we had to wait in Abington up loop for a while to let a Voyager past. This was a timetabled move as there was an announcement before leaving Waverley. Not sure if they're doing this this year but might be of interest to any "track bashers" out there

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I did these Northbound last year and indeed were looped. Interestingly though, the train presented in reverse formation at CAR but despite the looping our driver gave it everything putting us 10 early at Carstairs meaning he could turn the set there and enter Edinburgh 2 down but the correct way round!

Closet2405

Just a random question regarding the diverts.

Since the First Class section is at the 'London End' of the train, do TOCs try and maintain that? I.e, if a HST goes via Carlisle and ends up the 'wrong way' at Edinburgh, would Virgin go out their way to reverse that set around Carstairs or Musselbrough via Newcraighall should the set be in reverse order by the time the trains start going via Berwick again?

VTEC sets quite often "change ends" at Newcastle (I think via the High Level Bridge?) so I'd imagine they do it this way. I've never been on one of the Carlisle diverts so I can't be sure.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
It doesn't look like they're looping trains this year, but the EPS trains leaving Edinburgh20 mins after the VTEC are right on top of them at Carlisle. Heading north this morning we were held outside Carlisle so a late running Pendolino wouldn't be stuck behind us though.

Status
Not open for further replies.