• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do you post in the middle of the night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just out of curiosity really.
Sometimes I find myself up really late, or even at times I wake up in the middle of the night and I end up going on the forum for a bit at 2am or even later because I can’t get back to sleep.
Quite often though I see the same people posting at silly o’clock in the morning and I was just wondering what their story was?
Night shifts?
Insomnia?
Nightmares?
Any other reasons?
;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Groningen

Established Member
When i get too early to bed i get off earlier (or yes go to the WC). But real interneting no. Often i open my PC for 10 to 20 minutes; starting at around 5.30. I check for: if rain is coming in the morning, the trainwebcam at La Plata, Missouri (around 2.00 am UK time there is an Amtrak train to the West and you can rewind 4 hours) and looking when the ISS passes around my head.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I end up getting in a bunch of conversations &just forget the time. I try to put my phone down before 1am though for fear of falling asleep in my GCSE revision sessions!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I never go onto the internet after going to bed, nor turn radio on, etc, until about 8 a.m. (I am retired, after all!) The only recent exception was, getting up at 6 a.m. to go to the loo, for some reason I turned the radio on to be informed of the Grenfell Tower fire, after which sleep was impossible.

takno

Established Member
2am is about bedtime for me, although I tend not be on too much for a couple of hours before that

Bromley boy

Established Member
Just out of curiosity really.
Sometimes I find myself up really late, or even at times I wake up in the middle of the night and I end up going on the forum for a bit at 2am or even later because I can’t get back to sleep.
Quite often though I see the same people posting at silly o’clock in the morning and I was just wondering what their story was?
Night shifts?
Insomnia?
Nightmares?
Any other reasons?
;)

In my case, it’s mostly due to being awake at funny times due to work.

Insomnia is probably too strong a word, but it causes disturbed sleep patterns most certainly.

telstarbox

Established Member
Occasionally I just can't get to sleep so I'll read through threads on here and occasionally comment. However when that happens it means there's less to read on the train into work the next morning!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Late evening is, most days, the only time I can really get things done at home. Just as well I'm a night owl with a normal bedtime of 00.30 to 01.00 and can run on about 6 hours sleep a night...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Late evening is, most days, the only time I can really get things done at home. Just as well I'm a night owl with a normal bedtime of 00.30 to 01.00 and can run on about 6 hours sleep a night...
I’m quite similar normally. 6 hours is about right for me too.

Simon11

Established Member
I live and work in Chicago, which has a 6 hours time differences to the UK. Therefore, most of my posts are at silly a-clock for you guys

skyhigh

Established Member
Funny shift patterns for me - sometimes I'm finishing at 2-4am and browse for a while after work, other times I'm starting early and go on the internet over breakfast.

AndrewE

Established Member
Because I can't let an argument drop if I think someone's missing the point?

Dai Corner

Established Member
I never go onto the internet after going to bed, nor turn radio on, etc, until about 8 a.m. (I am retired, after all!) The only recent exception was, getting up at 6 a.m. to go to the loo, for some reason I turned the radio on to be informed of the Grenfell Tower fire, after which sleep was impossible.

I'm retired too, but in my case it means I go to bed and get up when I feel like it. My IPad makes it (too?) easy to be online in bed and if I get absorbed in something and stay awake into the early hours ..... so what?

Having said that, going by what some who work nights have said elsewhere in the forum perhaps I should try to be more regular for the sake of my health.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I've always been a bit of a night owl, and since I get to choose my own work hours, I don't start any earlier than midday, and usually it's 1pm. It's not unusual for me to be around until 4/5am and perhaps a bit later than that. 6 hours' sleep usually does me, and if needs be I have a bit of a nap in the evening after dinner.

EM2

Established Member
For me, if it's before 1am then it's just before I go to bed after a late shift. Any later than that (like now), then it's night shift break time. Very rarely will you find me posting between 5am and 8am, if I do it means I have an early break on an early shift.

jon0844

Veteran Member
People who post in the middle of the night are obviously sad people with no life.

(D'oh!)

Bromley boy

Established Member
People who post in the middle of the night are obviously sad people with no life.

(D'oh!)

Unfortunately for all of us, I reckon anyone posting on a railway forum, at any time of the day or night, would be considered pretty sad according to the “normal” standard :lol:.

NSEFAN

Established Member
Because I can't let an argument drop if I think someone's missing the point?
duty_calls.png

Comic: "Are you coming to bed" "I can't, this is important" "What?" "Someone is wrong on the internet."

;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Uhh yeah he would!
I’ll come back to this argument at 3am, when I’ve had time to simmer and think of a reply that no-one can disagree with. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.