• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do you post in the middle of the night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It’s great being up this time of night.
Until the alarm goes off in the morning...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Temple Meads

Established Member
Howz it looking?
The first day went pretty well didn’t it (I’m not pretending that I’m an expert)?
This is the thread to discuss the Ashes ;)
://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/cricket.65455/

/backseatmod

Anyway I'm unusually nocturnal for a human - I often feel happier and more alert once it's dark and can often be found on the forum after the midnight hour has passed! :p

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
People who post in the middle of the night are obviously sad people with no life.

I just want it on record that, as a non-sad person with a life, I personally would never, ever, post to railforums after midnight.

Oh, hang on...

Last edited:

roversfan2001

Established Member
My sleep pattern has been awful for months, the Ashes isn't helping that at the moment :lol: It was almost 3am last night before I dozed off, any later than that I may as well stay up all night and hope I don't fall asleep in lessons tomorrow.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
My sleep pattern has been awful for months, the Ashes isn't helping that at the moment :lol: It was almost 3am last night before I dozed off, any later than that I may as well stay up all night and hope I don't fall asleep in lessons tomorrow.

Woakes just gone - time for bed!

bramling

Veteran Member
Just out of curiosity really.
Sometimes I find myself up really late, or even at times I wake up in the middle of the night and I end up going on the forum for a bit at 2am or even later because I can’t get back to sleep.
Quite often though I see the same people posting at silly o’clock in the morning and I was just wondering what their story was?
Night shifts?
Insomnia?
Nightmares?
Any other reasons?
;)

In my case it falls down to two things:

1) At work with not much going on (unlike many, I don't find sleeping on nights works for me)
2) Very occasionally if at home and not sleeping, but try to avoid this as it normally makes the situation worse!

fowler9

Established Member
Howz it looking?
The first day went pretty well didn’t it (I’m not pretending that I’m an expert)?
Looked kind of even after the second day but I've just realised I haven't checked last nights scores due to a massive hangover. ha ha.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looked kind of even after the second day but I've just realised I haven't checked last nights scores due to a massive hangover. ha ha.
I had one of them the other day. They’re not very nice are they?
They should definitely put a warning on the second bottle.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It’s not always easy to make yourself go to bed when you know you’ve got an early start with lots of work to do tomorrow.
I know I should but really but it’s nice being up so late...

fowler9

Established Member
Every Sunday for me, can't get to sleep and then wake up dead early knowing I have to be up for work. Had a nightmare this morning. Arriva are on strike and I completely forgot. Stood at the bus stop wondering why no buses were showing on the Arriva bus app. By the time I realised and walked up to West Allerton I heard the only train that would get me in on time leaving the station. At this point the heavens opened and I got soaked. All this compounded by having about 2 hours sleep. Fortunately my long suffering father gave me a lift to work. My dad is a saint.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Why? Because these forums make much more interesting reading at 4am than Facebook or Twitter as all anyone posts on there is complete rubbish. This forum on the other hand is something else like no other.

You can only read so much about someone whining about their day, moans about everything that goes wrong. Plus having to shift through a constant stream of immature photos, food, newly born babies, childish memes, relationship updates, people gushing over why their partner is important, pointless checkins people make from airports and coffee shops is a drain. The worst are the odd long statuses written to make a statement by those wanting to look like they half have a brain every so often after posting junk for months at a time.

This forum on the other hand NEVER fails to entertain because unlike social media sites which feature the nasty things listed above - all content there is to read about on here is consistently about trains! Reading through page after page on a thread is actually interesting. It is great fun to sit and eat popcorn whilst following the arguments people make over issues which to other people would come across as a storm in a tea cup. Everyone gets so passionate about their points and cannot bear to be wrong. I honestly wouldn't want to cross paths with some members. So much of the content on here and the information shared by those in the industry is fasinating. I would never have known about the majority of topics I have read about here.

What also makes this forum good for early morning reading are the earliest posts ever written on here from 2005. From 2008 onwards when the forum was larger things changed and it becomes harder to keep us with what members say from thread to thread. Back then members seemed to know each other and a lot closer as they wrote posts with less formal language than most of the people on here today. I think some of the ones which are still here today have been promoted to moderates.Mind you they were kids then and probably grown up now. I wish I had discovered this forum back when I was 10. I bet we all would have had a blast on MSN. The mystery guest called Tom apparently disappeared quickly and one member even had a panic when yorkie wasn't online for a while as they might have disappeared. Poor boy couldn't even go on holiday without anyone worrying.

But to summarise why I like to read and post on here in the middle of the night, the forum is a nice community to be a part of which rarely sleeps and provides a platform to ask questions, answer other people's questions and discuss anything and everything whether rail related or not. Having a place to get help from others and to learn makes this place one of the most valued transport websites on the internet today. The jokes, general discussion, debates, meet ups and disputes sections keep us all going and allow us to discuss, suggest and chat freely. Being able to safely meet the other like minded people whose threads we comment on is unusual for a forum. To hang out with new friends like this is special.

It is for these reasons why RailUK forums is the place to be when you can't sleep or want to take a break and shut off from daily life, to immerse yourself in an anonymous online world where you can be yourself without being judged and share what you have to say and read what others think too. As we write thread after thread and post after post, we are creating an online legacy of ourselves and the world of trains, captured for the readers of tomorrow whilst also updating ourselves about what is going on tomorrow and went on today. It is simply the perfect newsfeed with content that is actually interesting, streamlined into sections for easy reading, available whenever.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I enjoyed reading that BluePenguin.
Personally even though I know I should be getting to sleep I’m as usual finding interesting things to read (currently a discussion about steam heating).
I’m going to bed now though.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Haha I pleased to hear it. It took me a while to write that and it feels good to know that it made good late night reading for you. I don't blame you still being awake, reading this forum is much more interesting than going to sleep and waking up to tomorrow's events any day.

Have you dropped off yet or found something else to read? :lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Haha I pleased to hear it. It took me a while to write that and it feels good to know that it made good late night reading for you. I don't blame you still being awake, reading this forum is much more interesting than going to sleep and waking up to tomorrow's events any day.

Have you dropped off yet or found something else to read? :lol:
No I’ve gone to sleep now. Like I should’ve done about an hour ago.

Established Member
I don't post much anymore, but I'm usually here later on at night.
Until a couple of months ago I was working almost permanent backshift, usually finishing some time between 11pm and 1am, and would go to bed around 3-4am.

I prefer the world late at night. It's much more peaceful and there's less people around.
I enjoy driving at night much more than during the day because the roads are so much quieter, and at work it tends to be a bit more relaxed later on in the evening.

Left to my own devices with no work to worry about, I'll usually go to bed some time between 2 and 4, and be up around 10 or 11ish.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I prefer the world late at night. It's much more peaceful and there's less people around.
I enjoy driving at night much more than during the day because the roads are so much quieter, and at work it tends to be a bit more relaxed later on in the evening.

I used to enjoy driving in the small hours too. Don't really do that much long-distance driving anymore at any time, which I sort of miss (but would probably soon tire of if I had to do it for work and not leisure).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Reasons for posting at 01:28 ;

1) What’s it to do with you?
2) Too much wine.
3) No work tomorrow.
4) Better to get smashed and think about trains than think about Christmas shopping tomorrow.
5) Always funny to see what our esteemed ‘argumentative folks’ have been being argumentative about throughout the day...

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Reasons for posting at 01:28 ;

1) What’s it to do with you?
2) Too much wine.
3) No work tomorrow.
4) Better to get smashed and think about trains than think about Christmas shopping tomorrow.
5) Always funny to see what our esteemed ‘argumentative folks’ have been being argumentative about throughout the day...

All the above reasons apply to me completely tonight apart from number 2. :D

BluePenguin

On Moderation
So Cowley, are you currently drunk and reading a thread about why one member says a class 345 is best whilst another angrily insists that a class 678 is better?

Christmas shopping can be a pain but shouldn't be dreaded if you are not paying ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So Cowley, are you currently drunk and reading a thread about why one member says a class 345 is best whilst another angrily insists that a class 678 is better?

Christmas shopping can be a pain but shouldn't be dreaded if you are not paying ;)

When you’ve got six kids you’re always paying.
Anyway I’ll have a quick look at this 345 thread...

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

Class 678 doesn't exist yet. Are you able to see better into the future than the rest of us? Is Class 678 the new designation for the D-train when it eventually gets fitted with a warp drive? When this is officially announced, should we expect to see journey times from Inverness to Wick reduced to less than 10 minutes?

Wibble.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The trouble is that my mobile data just ran out and our WiFi seems to be powered by one the kids hamsters (the slightly lethargic one who’s cage you have to nudge sometimes just to check that it still works *).
This means that I spend part of the time waiting for the WiFi to restart halfway through reading a thread. Apparently this is because our exchange/cabinet with ancient rubber clad wires etc is too far away to work properly, and because I don’t really understand how these things work I’m stuck with it.

Still. This wine’s nice :lol:.

* That’s the hamster, not the kid.
The kid never works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.