• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why does the 357 accelerate almost 2x as fast as every other electrostar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Not on the LTS line though

Having said that, do they reach these speeds on the GEML? For the short section they travel on it that is...
Hope not. Many years ago a few were used on the Southend Vic line just in the peak. But even then the main line was probably only 80 mph before it was increased to 90mph.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
To answer the OP - they don’t.

I’ve been on AC electrostars that accelerate like the proverbial off a shovel. 377s and 387s on the MML, 379s in Anglia, Etc. No different to the 357.

Electrostars on DC do accelerate more slowly as they draw less power. But that’s limitation of the power supply, not the train.

SolomonSouth

On Moderation
To answer the OP - they don’t.

I’ve been on AC electrostars that accelerate like the proverbial off a shovel. 377s and 387s on the MML, 379s in Anglia, Etc. No different to the 357.

Electrostars on DC do accelerate more slowly as they draw less power. But that’s limitation of the power supply, not the train.
No, the 377 in the video was on AC bruv... and the 357 is still quicker

Domh245

Established Member
Without ascertaining if all conditions were the same (no wheelslip, gradients the same, defensive driving techniques, etc) then you can't draw any meaningful comparisons about their acceleration

SolomonSouth

On Moderation
Are 357s lighter?
Just looked it up - they are actually approx 15-20 tons lighter than 375s and 377s which are of the same length. No figures on weight for 379 and 387.
I guess the turbostar bodyshell may be lighter?

Without ascertaining if all conditions were the same (no wheelslip, gradients the same, defensive driving techniques, etc) then you can't draw any meaningful comparisons about their acceleration
Gradient doesn't make much, if any, difference off the line. It is only at higher speeds where you see it significantly affect train speeds. It was dry for all of them.

TRAX

Established Member
Gradient doesn't make much, if any, difference off the line. It is only at higher speeds where you see it significantly affect train speeds. It was dry for all of them.

What ? How ? Of course gradients make a difference to a train's takeoff and acceleration capabilities.

SolomonSouth

On Moderation
What ? How ? Of course gradients make a difference to a train's takeoff and acceleration capabilities.
Well the momentum at lower speeds is less so tbh that would aid it less. Once it has momentum it affects it more. I think. It's like that with 376s I think. I could be wrong though

TRAX

Established Member
Well the momentum at lower speeds is less so tbh that would aid it less. Once it has momentum it affects it more. I think. It's like that with 376s I think. I could be wrong though

Have you ever ridden a bike ? Try starting one on a flat road and try the same on a hill, you’ll see the difference in acceleration.

D365

Veteran Member
What a strange discussion… is OP asking about the rated capability of the 357 vs other AC Electrostars, or whether the driving technique differs on c2c?

SolomonSouth

On Moderation
What a strange discussion… is OP asking about the rated capability of the 357 vs other AC Electrostars, or whether the driving technique differs on c2c?
It is about the acceleration of the 357 vs AC 377 379 375 387 sorry if I confused you

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It is about the acceleration of the 357 vs AC 377 379 375 387 sorry if I confused you

All else being equal (gradient, curvature, rail condition, wind direction); Acceleration is a function of the power / weight of the train, and the willingness of the driver to use the power to the full. What @D365 was asking is which of these two you were expecting an answer on (or both).

Deepgreen

Established Member
Just looked it up - they are actually approx 15-20 tons lighter than 375s and 377s which are of the same length. No figures on weight for 379 and 387.
I guess the turbostar bodyshell may be lighter?

Dry? The 375, 376 and 378 videos are in wet conditions, and the 379 in damp conditions.

SolomonSouth

On Moderation
As @Bald Rick has explained: do you want to know about how fast a unit is capable of accelerating, or how fast the drivers are trained to accelerate?
How fast a unit is capable of accelerating

There is audible Wheel Slip in at least 1 of the videos.
Oh yes sorry forgot to mention that
I will time the electrostars eventually, and see where they are all at to REALLY see which one is fastest
The 379 was done by railperf at 53 secs
The 377 was done by David Smith at about 50 secs
The 387 was done by railperf at 53 or so secs
Which leaves 357, 375, 376, and 378 which I will be timing using Vidometer.
All videos will be uploaded to my channel, here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdxvad0KyLgT-6GXZIti-2g

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Another pertinent factor is the proportion of the weight that is on motored axles. This determines the acceleration at low speeds, when full power can't be used as it would fry the motors or spin the wheels. I believe all the four-car Electrostars have three motor bogies, so should be pretty similar in this respect.

SolomonSouth

On Moderation
Another pertinent factor is the proportion of the weight that is on motored axles. This determines the acceleration at low speeds, when full power can't be used as it would fry the motors or spin the wheels. I believe all the four-car Electrostars have three motor bogies, so should be pretty similar in this respect.
Should be, yet 357s seem vastly superior performers. Again I will time them when I get the chance in the dry and compare them to 379s 387s 377s 375s 376s to see

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
To get a fair comparison, you’ll need them on AC, on the same gradient, same length, unrestricted by speed limits or signals, and same weather conditions.

SolomonSouth

On Moderation
To get a fair comparison, you’ll need them on AC, on the same gradient, same length, unrestricted by speed limits or signals, and same weather conditions.
Yeah. Easier said than done lmao

I was planning to do 0-75 but there's nowhere where a 376 can get get 0-75

SolomonSouth

On Moderation
Exactly. But otherwise you’ll have smart rses like me saying it’s not comparable.
I know :) We need a top gear style drag race with their speedos edited all side-by-side to see who's REALLY quickest. Class 357 seems quickest 0-40 or so but it's probable a 377 is superior at the high speed ranges.

But what about 357 vs 345? Old vs new? Electrostar vs Aventra? Now THAT would be interesting, they both seem mental

TRAX

Established Member
There's also the fact that some trains will be healthier than others, even inside one class.

Status
Not open for further replies.