Why doesn't Heathrow Connect publish performance (PPM) statistics?

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by All Line Rover, 7 Jun 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All Line Rover

All Line Rover Established Member

Why doesn't Heathrow Connect publish performance (PPM) statistics?

According to Wikipedia, "as the service is a joint venture between First Great Western and Heathrow Express it is not subject to the usual franchising specifications and is not obliged to provide performance statistics". No source is provided.

I raise the question only because Heathrow Connect appears to be the only train company that doesn't publish performance statistics, which limits its accountability to the residents of Ealing and Hayes & Harlington.

2. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

3. All Line Rover

4. Mojo

I disagree that it's "well hidden" - it's directly linked to off their page with all the performance information. https://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/about-us/our-business/performance

It is certainly a very good level of information, as is other information about performance on their website. It's a shame that particular file hasn't been updated in a while.

5. backontrack

backontrack Established Member

Off topic, but why doesn't it call at Acton Main line?

6. All Line Rover

Well hidden in the sense that you don't expect Heathrow Connect's performance information to be published on First Great Western's website. And listing Heathrow Connect as "Connect" in the PDF is quite ambigious. If First Great Western has the greatest share of control over Heathrow Connect, it would make more sense to have Heathrow Connect listed on the FGW website, rather than having a separate, poorly maintained website.

7. transmanche

transmanche Established Member

Not a lot does - basically just the Greenford service and a few extras.

Even back in the mid-90s, the stopping service to Slough was nearly always 'all stations except Acton Main Line'.

8. button_boxer

button_boxer Established Member

Heathrow Connect is not a Train Operating Company full stop. As I understand it, officially a "Heathrow Connect" branded train is a FGW service between Paddington and H&H (so it would make perfect sense for its statistics to be part of those for FGW on that stretch), and beyond H&H it's run by Heathrow Express and is not a National Rail service.

9. transmanche

Although that won't be obvious to the casual passenger...

10. Mojo

What relevance would this have to the "casual passenger?"

11. transmanche

OK, I'll re-phrase that to "the ordinary passenger who is unaware of the technical minutiae regarding the ownership structure and operational details of trains operating under the Heathrow Connect brand." But you knew that anyway... :roll:

12. Mojo

But why would "the ordinary passenger" care about this? What relevance does it have to how they make their journey?

13. 455driver

455driver Veteran Member

Why would the 'casual passenger' care about or need this information?

14. ComUtoR

ComUtoR Established Member

So they can moan.

15. transmanche

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Are you suggesting that PPM statistics have no relevance to passengers?

If I were an ordinary passenger commuting on a Heathrow Connect service from Southall, it's unlikely that I'd know the service was technically operated by FGW. And if I wanted to know if I were due a season ticket discount, naturally I might look at the Heathrow Connect website. So I don't think it's totally unreasonable to expect Heathrow Connect to provide a link to the PPM information on the FGW website.

16. Mojo

But a Charter discount would not be given to only customers of Heathrow Connect; it applies to FGW's "London - Thames Valley services" group.

17. transmanche

Aaaaand back we go to the beginning! :roll:

The ordinary passenger wouldn't know that. Hence why I said "I don't think it's totally unreasonable to expect Heathrow Connect to provide a link to the PPM information on the FGW website".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.