• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why don’t more buses have on board stop displays (Yorkshire)

Status
Not open for further replies.

radamfi

Established Member
I expect the full on iBus system with all the control, all the voice recordings, screens fitted to thousands of buses, probably cost multiple millions of pounds. Metro can't afford this, and First wouldn't do it off their own back.

Even "poor" central European countries can afford this basic facility! We're talking about places that still run Communist-era trolleybuses.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SCH117X

Established Member
Transdev Blazefield are making next bus displays standard on all new vehicles and are gradually introducing contactless payments. Was slightly amused at East Midlands Today last night claiming Nottingham would be the first place outside London with contactless payment available unless they meant 100% availability on buses and trams.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
In my part of the world it's only in the last few years that passengers have used the bell to indicate that they wish to alight! If you're not sure of where your stop is, a quick word to the driver is all that's required and they will give you a shout or a wave as they approach. Okay, it's not a busy urban operation, but when I've used unfamiliar bus routes in larger towns and cities and found that drivers are happy to oblige. Or is that the sort of "time-wasting driver interaction" that needs to be stamped out? :)

The regulars know that but it's the sort of thing that might put off occasional travellers - what if they get a grumpy driver who can't be bothered or simply forgets? Like not accepting contactless and not giving change, it's something that puts off the occasional traveller who if encouraged might even become a regular.

Was slightly amused at East Midlands Today last night claiming Nottingham would be the first place outside London with contactless payment available unless they meant 100% availability on buses and trams.
As far as I can tell from various sources they are the first outside London to implement Oyster-type functionality with contactless - it appears contactless will be the equivalent of the Robin Hood card, with a cap on daily cost depending on which operators are used. There is a government grant of over £2m, presumably to set up the necessary back office systems and to convert the on-bus systems to accept contactless (software change only I hope).

Unless something else changes it will still suffer from the defect of the Robin Hood card, that you pay more if you use multiple operators and there will still be single-operator products such as NCT's Easyrider Anyday which are cheaper if you only use the one operator. So you still have the problem of not knowing which card to use when you set out, unless you are certain which operator you will be using on the way home.

Getting back on topic, Nottingham and surrounding areas have a comprehensive system of stop displays which are real-time when the bus in question is so equipped (when it shows minutes to go, otherwise scheduled time). All NCT buses have been equipped for real time and on-board displays for some years, with newer ones showing the next three stops (on a split screen with the CCTV pictures), which is much better than a single line display as stops are often close together. TrentBarton appear to be upgrading piecemeal as their routes are revamped, but it now covers most of their routes too. I rarely use any other operator but I suspect most of them don't participate as their stop displays are never real time.

Status
Not open for further replies.