• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why don't Diesel Trains have AdBlue?

Should UK TOCs be required to have AdBlue Systems installed?

• Yes

Votes: 59 65.6%
  • No

Votes: 31 34.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJoyOfSix

But those smelly and unhealthy particles entering your lungs are large enough to get coughed back up. The new 'environmentally friendly' smaller particles produced by diesel engines with particulate filters are not.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gallafent

But those smelly and unhealthy particles entering your lungs are large enough to get coughed back up. The new 'environmentally friendly' smaller particles produced by diesel engines with particulate filters are not.
A chemist friend suggested to me that the particulates produced by petrol engines are likewise substantially more deleterious to health (again, they're smaller and lighter, and travel deeper into the lungs and stay there …).

R G NOW.

I'd have to disagree with you on that one. IF the Railway is a clean industry, why are lights and other electricity burning appliances left on at stations when they are closed?

Here is an thread about Energy Efficiency:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/energy-efficiency-on-the-railways-is-there-a-plan.175786/

I understand that stations are gradually getting L-E-D Platform lighting, These new fittings are very energy efficient. And after about 15 mins, when there is no movement of people on platforms, they dim, or at least they do at Gloucester, cos' I walked up the platform, then they go bright.

R G NOW.

A chemist friend suggested to me that the particulates produced by petrol engines are likewise substantially more deleterious to health (again, they're smaller and lighter, and travel deeper into the lungs and stay there …).

Could this be more damaging, than smoking?

rebmcr

Established Member

They're not new, the older engines produce both!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Could this be more damaging, than smoking?
Unlikely considering smoking has been demonstrated to kill between a third and a half of those who partake. If internal combustion particulates were equally bad then after IC engines are banned the average life expectancy would go well above 100.

cjp

Unlikely considering smoking has been demonstrated to kill between a third and a half of those who partake. If internal combustion particulates were equally bad then after IC engines are banned the average life expectancy would go well above 100.
An interesting thread but this last bit is just plain scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.