• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why don't Virgin Trains pass through my local line anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gergy008

When I was little, (17 now) the black and red Virgin Trains used to pass through my local line, which is used by services from Manchester to Blackpool, Edinburgh, Windermere, Southport etc. There black and red HST was replaced by the new Pendolinos (Diesel versions, I can't find them anywhere but we had diesel version of the Pendolinos and occasionally the electric version were pulled by virgin livery class 57 I think. Definitely not Super Voyagers)

However, no virgin trains pass through anymore. Just First TP Express. Did they take over?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Some may be able to, but are we all supposed to guess which local line you are talking about? :D

tbtc

Veteran Member
The services were changed in 2007 (?) with the Manchester - Preston - Glasgow/ Edinburgh service being replaced by an extension of the TPE Manchester - Preston - Windermere service.

The Virgin stock spared by this went to enhance the Chester - London service to hourly.

The line you refer to may go back to West Coast operation (depending on who wins the franchise, and whether the forthcoming electrification affects the franchise boundaries).

Eagle

Established Member
The services were changed in 2007 (?) with the Manchester - Preston - Glasgow/ Edinburgh service being replaced by an extension of the TPE Manchester - Preston - Windermere service.
They were changed in November 2007 at the Central shakeup; they went from XC to TPE.

The Virgin stock spared by this went to enhance the Chester - London service to hourly.
Really? I wasn't aware that any stock was transferred from XC to WC operations, but I could be wrong... I'm an idiot. Birmingham to Scotland anyone? :P

sprinterguy

Established Member
Some may be able to, but are we all supposed to guess which local line you are talking about? :D
It's another one of those cases where a little detective work is required based on the description, but I would presume that it is the Bolton to Preston line. Although of course it would be nice if that had been mentioned to start with.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There black and red HST was replaced by the new Pendolinos (Diesel versions, I can't find them anywhere but we had diesel version of the Pendolinos and occasionally the electric version were pulled by virgin livery class 57 I think. Definitely not Super Voyagers)
It will have to have been Super Voyagers; there have never, ever been any "diesel Pendolinos". As others have already stated in much greater detail, the formerly Virgin Crosscountry Manchester to Edinburgh/Glasgow services were transferred to First Transpennine Express.

Eagle

Established Member
It will have to have been Super Voyagers; there have never, ever been any "diesel Pendolinos". As others have already stated in much greater detail, the formerly Virgin Crosscountry Manchester to Edinburgh/Glasgow services were transferred to First Transpennine Express.

After spending about five weeks with Virgin West Coast (11 November to 15 December 2007), because the DfT never seem to be able to line up franchise redrawings with timetable changes.

David Sinnett

Wouldn't the OP have seen Pendolino drags along the Preston Bolton line not so many years ago due to the WCML remodelling? No idea of the dates and frequency tho.

Gergy008

Oops sorry, yes it's the Manchester - Preston (via Bolton) line :p

In fact I did see a Pendolino being dragged one day by a 57/3, it was a strange occurrence I thought it was kinda neat at the time :D

Before that, I seen numerous Pendolino's - that run on fuel, yet I can't find them anywhere on the internet... all the versions I find are electric powered, or super voyagers 221. Was there ever any Pendolino's that run on diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.