• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why is it called Marden (Kent)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucan

Established Member
tickets to/from Hinckley all said "Hinckley (Leics)" which seemed puzzling as I couldn't find any other place in the country with the same name!
Hinkley Point Power Station. No Railway station though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RichJF

Reedham in Surrey is still frequently referred to as;
Reedham (formerly Smitham)
Reedham (Surrey).
Noticeable on the Class 455s & station displays but not so much on 377s.

Probably to distinguish it between Reedham in Norfolk & Surrey although I doubt the direct route is fairly rarely frequented :D

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Reedham in Surrey is still frequently referred to as;
Reedham (formerly Smitham)

That would be remarkable if it was true - considering it's actually the next station along the line, Coulsdon Town, that used to be named Smitham!

bionic

At the Southeastern training school they do training runs on a simulator that stops at stations that are just numbers. They give the trainee a diagram to follow for the exercise that lists the station calls. One of the numbered stations always has (Kent) after it. :D
e.g:

One
Two (Kent)
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven

RichJF

That would be remarkable if it was true - considering it's actually the next station along the line, Coulsdon Town, that used to be named Smitham!

Sorry yes typo (blame my Sony) phone :D

Coulsdon Town (formerly Smitham)
Reedham (Surrey).

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
And of course to distinguish Hayes & Harlington from the other Hayes in London near Bromley, the Hayes near Bromley is called Hayes (Kent), presumably because if you called it Hayes (London), it would still be confused with the other Hayes!

transmanche

Established Member
Even though Reedham is in London (as is Sutton (Surrey))!

And of course to distinguish Hayes & Harlington from the other Hayes in London near Bromley, the Hayes near Bromley is called Hayes (Kent), presumably because if you called it Hayes (London), it would still be confused with the other Hayes!
Quite simply, they're using the traditional county name for where these places are located.

Hayes (in the London Borough of Bromley) is outside the London Postal Area. It's in the BR2 district, so when counties were required as part of the postal address (they're not required any more) the address would be Hayes, Kent.

The other Hayes is also outside the London Postal District (UB3 & UB4), so the address would have been Hayes, Middlesex. The same is true of Sutton (SM1, SM2 & SM3) so addresses would have been Sutton, Surrey.

Last edited:

MadMac

Newton (Lanark) might cause some confusion for passengers travelling to Lanark itself.

On a semi related note, back in DMU days when Lanark services alternated between WCML to Motherwell and via Blantyre/Holytown, the "direct" ones showed "Lanark via Uddingston" on the blind, even though they didn't stop there.....

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Quite simply, they're using the traditional county name for where these places are located.

Hayes (in the London Borough of Bromley) is outside the London Postal Area. It's in the BR2 district, so when counties were required as part of the postal address (they're not required any more) the address would be Hayes, Kent.

The other Hayes is also outside the London Postal Area (UB3 & UB4), so the address would have been Hayes, Middlesex. The same is true of Sutton (SM1, SM2 & SM3) so addresses would have been Sutton, Surrey.
London isn't defined by the Royal Mail

transmanche

Established Member
Yes, but that was the postal district. Not the administrative area.
Nobody said anything about administrative areas! The London Postal District (and the sub-districts within it) have never bourne any relationship to any administrative boundaries.

But only places in the London Postal District have 'London' as their Post Town. Sutton (and other places mentioned upthread) may be in Greater London, but don't have 'London' as part of their postal address.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Nobody said anything about administrative areas! The London Postal District (and the sub-districts within it) have never bourne any relationship to any administrative boundaries.

But only places in the London Postal District have 'London' as their Post Town. Sutton (and other places mentioned upthread) may be in Greater London, but don't have 'London' as part of their postal address.
Nobody said anything about postal districts! Like I said, the Post Office/Royal Mail doesn't define the definition of London!

transmanche

Established Member
Nobody said anything about postal districts!
I was merely explaining why the railway refers to Sutton as 'Sutton, Surrey', Hayes as 'Hayes, Kent' and so on, even though they are in Greater London. The reason is because of their postal addresses. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm not sure why a)you find this so hard to understand and b) you are getting so worked up about it.

Like I said, the Post Office/Royal Mail doesn't define the definition of London!
Jolly good. Nobody actually claimed they did!

However, in fact, lots of organisations define 'London' in different ways, for their own purposes. The Royal Mail uses the London Postal District to define which areas have London as a Post Town. A different area is used to define who has a 'London' telephone number (020). None of these organisations claim their 'London' areas are meant to reflect the same boundaries as Greater London or its predecessors.

flitwickbeds

And Harlington (Beds)!

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
I was merely explaining why the railway refers to Sutton as 'Sutton, Surrey', Hayes as 'Hayes, Kent' and so on, even though they are in Greater London. The reason is because of their postal addresses. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm not sure why a)you find this so hard to understand and b) you are getting so worked up about it.

Jolly good. Nobody actually claimed they did!

However, in fact, lots of organisations define 'London' in different ways, for their own purposes. The Royal Mail uses the London Postal District to define which areas have London as a Post Town. A different area is used to define who has a 'London' telephone number (020). None of these organisations claim their 'London' areas are meant to reflect the same boundaries as Greater London or its predecessors.
Sorry. Didn't realise you were trying to wind me up. I thought you wanted the frequent 'what's the definition of London' argument!

Status
Not open for further replies.