• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why is it Called Wellington SALOP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whhistle

On Moderation
Why is it called Wellington Salop for ticketing but the actual station is called Wellington?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
There are also Wellingtons (without stations) in Cumbria, Herefordshire and Somerset; the latter being the one that gives its name to the Duke of Wellington (so possibly more recognised).

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Wellington (Somerset) is a town of 10K plus on mainline which shouldn't really have had its station closed so there's a chance of their being more than one Wellington on the network in the future.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Like Newport South Wales (was Gwent), and Bangor Gwynedd.
And even Preston Lancs .
There's no obvious clash with other GB station names.

Andrewh32

And even Preston Lancs .

Preston Park station in Sussex may explain Preston Lancs and Newport Essex station on the Cambridge Liverpool street line may explain the Newport South Wales

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
And even Preston Lancs .
Preston Lancs is there so people can't turn it into Preston Park or Prestonpans by buying a ticket to Preston and then printing over it ;)

It's the same reason that Shipley is Shipley Yorks, because the P in SHIPLEY could very easily become an R for SHIRLEY.

Some locations used to end in a full stop for similar reasons.

Newport S.Wales is there because there's also Newport Essex.

Bangor Gwynedd is there presumably because Bangor NI can appear on tickets.

Mollman

Established Member
Interestingly no one seems to have thought of the confusion that the new Apperley Bridge (near Leeds) has with Appley Bridge (near Wigan)when the former opened the other year.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Interestingly no one seems to have thought of the confusion that the new Apperley Bridge (near Leeds) has with Appley Bridge (near Wigan)when the former opened the other year.
I'd have thought there's more chance of confusion with those two than there is with Marsden (Yorks) and Marden (Kent), but what do I know?

I am tempted to buy a ticket from Apperley Bridge to Appley Bridge, just so I have the ticket!

pemma

Veteran Member
I'd have thought there's more chance of confusion with those two than there is with Marsden (Yorks) and Marden (Kent), but what do I know?

Originally the confusion was between Marsden (Yorkshire) and Marsden (Lancashire.) However, in an attempt to avoid confusion between the two the Lancashire station got called Nelson Inn, Marsden with the town getting renamed Nelson (after the station) after some hamlets got merged in to it.

I think one of the most confusing ones is Hale, which now appears on tickets as Hale (Manchester.) Hale is an affluent village which until 1974 was in Cheshire but under the new boundaries is on the very edge of the Trafford borough in Greater Manchester and most of the residents still refer to the village as being in Cheshire but it's not part of the city of Manchester. Now there's another Hale near Widnes which historically would be in Lancashire but got moved in to Cheshire in 1974 and doesn't have a station. So if a ticket clerk wanted to be awkward -
"Can I have a return to Hale, Cheshire please?" "No. Hale, Cheshire doesn't have a station."
"Can I have one to Hale, Manchester then?" "No there isn't a Hale in Manchester"
"OK can I have one to Hale, Greater Manchester?" "Yes. However, the ticket says Hale, Manchester" ;)

pemma

Veteran Member

Perhaps having more than just the station name is useful in some circumstances. For instance, say you were in Hereford and wanted to travel to Newport (Shropshire) but weren't sure whether or not you could make the journey by train. If you typed in Hereford to Newport and got the details for Hereford to Newport (South Wales) the timings and cost wouldn't seem unrealistic for Newport (Shropshire.)

nr758123

For instance, say you were in Hereford and wanted to travel to Newport (Shropshire) but weren't sure whether or not you could make the journey by train. If you typed in Hereford to Newport and got the details for Hereford to Newport (South Wales) the timings and cost wouldn't seem unrealistic for Newport (Shropshire.)

As an aside, I grew up in Newport, Shropshire. We regularly had to complain to the post office because any post addressed to us from family in Manchester generally arrived several days late, with someone having crossed Shropshire out and written Monmouthshire in its place.

fergusjbend

And Ashford International and Ashford (Surrey), and Gillingham (Kent) and Gillingham (Dorset)........

cjp

Was there ever a time when one could buy a ticket from say London Bridge to Charing Cross for few pennies and then travel up to Glasgow? {Or attempt it:s}

whhistle

On Moderation
Okay, I get that, sorry I should have explained more.

How is "Salop" an abbreivation of Shropshire?
There's no A or L in Shropshire.

For example, as someone has pointed out above, you have Lancs for Lancashire, Leics for Leicestershire, Lincs for Lincolnshire, so why SALOP as apposed to Shrops?

Only ever seen it on the railway.

philjo

Established Member
Okay, I get that, sorry I should have explained more.

For example, as someone has pointed out above, you have Lancs for Lancashire, Leics for Leicestershire, Lincs for Lincolnshire, so why SALOP as apposed to Shrops?

Only ever seen it on the railway.
Salop was the original name for the county which over the years became Shrops. When the council was established in the 1800s it was called Salop County Council.
Salop has also been used in place of Shrewsbury. My Dad used to live in Shrewsbury in the 1950s and still tends to use the term Salop for the county.

nr758123

A bit before my time, but apparently Salop derives from a bunch of incomers who found it difficult to pronounce Shropshire. Incomers of the Norman French variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.