• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why is Swiss Cottage station so windy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuel88

On Moderation
Whenever I get off at Swiss Cottage when you get to the top of the escalators it feels as if it's blowing a gale, what's the reason for this? I've only ever noticed this at Swiss Cottage.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
Whenever I get off at Swiss Cottage when you get to the top of the escalators it feels as if it's blowing a gale, what's the reason for this? I've only ever noticed this at Swiss Cottage.

This is not uncommon in parts of LU, and is normally because the station as a whole has insufficient space to dissipate the air movements generated by trains, bearing in mind the “piston effect” where a train fitting tightly within a tunnel can cause quite significant displacement of air.

The normal solution is draught-relief shafts and tunnels, either purpose built or adapted from disused construction shafts or lift shafts. I don’t think Swiss Cottage has any of these features.

Nowadays standard practice is to have at least one shaft at each end of a station to deal with this issue, but even with complex modelling and planning unexpected air movements can happen.

gottago

Bethnal Green is like this and is absolutely freezing. Horrible in winter but great when you’re on a packed train in the summer and you get some brief relief when the doors open there.

Brixton’s escalator gusts will also ruin any hairdo you might have tried to style!

Mikey C

Established Member
This is not uncommon in parts of LU, and is normally because the station as a whole has insufficient space to dissipate the air movements generated by trains, bearing in mind the “piston effect” where a train fitting tightly within a tunnel can cause quite significant displacement of air.

The normal solution is draught-relief shafts and tunnels, either purpose built or adapted from disused construction shafts or lift shafts. I don’t think Swiss Cottage has any of these features.

Nowadays standard practice is to have at least one shaft at each end of a station to deal with this issue, but even with complex modelling and planning unexpected air movements can happen.

Swiss Cottage is the first deep level station southbound, I can't think of any draught relief shafts between Finchley Road and Swiss Cottage as there would be no space, and Swiss Cottage presumably had escalators from the start so there are no disused lift shafts to reuse

I agree that it is an especially windy station, it really stands out!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Perhaps because the relative proximity of the tunnel portals means there is less resistance to the movement of air? At a station that isn't close to a portal the presence of other trains in front and behind limits the amount of air that can be dragged through.

Jack Barry

Getting back to Swiss Cottage, I had a walk round the area and there is a shaft in Adelade Road.

Mikey C

Established Member
Getting back to Swiss Cottage, I had a walk round the area and there is a shaft in Adelade Road.

That's after the station though? (i.e. it's the other side of the first station once the trains goes into a tunnel)

Jack Barry

That's after the station though? (i.e. it's the other side of the first station once the trains goes into a tunnel)
In reply 2 it was mentioned about the piston effect and that there was no shaft, although the shaft is south of the station would it not ease the flow. Trains coming north go past before entering the station so there must be some effect.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The shaft just beyond the station means that air being pushed into the portals at Finchley Road has somewhere to go. It will improve ventilation but actually increase draughts.

Jack Barry

The shaft just beyond the station means that air being pushed into the portals at Finchley Road has somewhere to go. It will improve ventilation but actually increase draughts.
Thinking about it the air flow coming south from Finchley Road once at swiss Cottage platforms would go up the escalators to the booking hall. For northbound trains the shaft would help I suppose.

bramling

Veteran Member
In reply 2 it was mentioned about the piston effect and that there was no shaft, although the shaft is south of the station would it not ease the flow. Trains coming north go past before entering the station so there must be some effect.

The Adelaide Road shaft is a tunnel fan shaft (*), not a draught-relief shaft, so it's not provided specifically for the purpose of easing draughts. Depending on the local dynamics it *may* well assist with that, or it could make things worse! The whole subject is a rather complex one, so not being expert I can't really offer more thoughts than that.

(* provided for the purpose of reducing tunnel temperatures)

Jack Barry

The Adelaide Road shaft is a tunnel fan shaft (*), not a draught-relief shaft, so it's not provided specifically for the purpose of easing draughts. Depending on the local dynamics it *may* well assist with that, or it could make things worse! The whole subject is a rather complex one, so not being expert I can't really offer more thoughts than that.

(* provided for the purpose of reducing tunnel temperatures)
Thanks for identifying what type of shaft. Can the fan be reversed if required?

Status
Not open for further replies.