• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why is the Isle of Wight Steam Railway closed on Fridays and Saturdays in June?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Was going to take a trip on the Isle of Wight Steam railway today but it's closed.

In fact it's closed every Friday in June and the first three Saturdays.

Does anyone know why this might be, as it's open every other day in June.

I'd have expected Saturdays to be more popular than Mondays, given it's the summer

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
From past visits to the IoW, admittedly some time ago, a number of visitor attractions were closed on Saturdays. I assume that was based on the idea that as most holidays run Sat to Sat, people were too busy leaving the island in the morning or arriving in the afternoon to visit anywhere on the Saturday. So it gave the attractions a short break for their staff or to tidy up after a busy week ready for the next one, perhaps?

Calthrop

Established Member
I see from the railway's website that re this summer season, this state of affairs applies to June only: the line runs seven days a week throughout July and August -- in September, there is no service on most Fridays, but there are trains on every Saturday. Could it simply be that this June, the railway is in a particular bind as regards volunteer availability: a propos which issue, they're doing the best they can, but they can do no more?

infobleep

Veteran Member
A friend tolde what it was. They are running Sunday special events. Obviously they need time to prepare and Saturday is probably when maybe volunteers are aoruns to help, with some of Friday also.

In terms of our travel, Saturday is easier as ttrians are more frequent and start earlier.

Having just said that the train we got from Guildford on Saturday was 8.04, which is after the first train departs of a Sunday, that being the 7.41. In futrue we might want to leave earlier though.

The stopping service so only gets in 10 minutes earlier than the 8.04.

cav1975

Was going to take a trip on the Isle of Wight Steam railway today but it's closed.

In fact it's closed every Friday in June and the first three Saturdays.

Does anyone know why this might be, as it's open every other day in June.

I'd have expected Saturdays to be more popular than Mondays, given it's the summer

Sorry you were disappointed, I hope that you can come on another day when the railway is running.

Over many years we have learned that at this time of year there is little demand on Fridays or Saturdays but a very useful level of demand in the first half of the week. This is exacerbated by the Isle of Wight (Pop Music) festival in 10 days time when demand drops to virtually zero. While we are a volunteer lead railway, we have to run only when it makes sense financially so that we can generate the funds necessary for the ongoing restoration/conservation work as well as to keep the railway operational.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Sorry you were disappointed, I hope that you can come on another day when the railway is running.

Over many years we have learned that at this time of year there is little demand on Fridays or Saturdays but a very useful level of demand in the first half of the week. This is exacerbated by the Isle of Wight (Pop Music) festival in 10 days time when demand drops to virtually zero. While we are a volunteer lead railway, we have to run only when it makes sense financially so that we can generate the funds necessary for the ongoing restoration/conservation work as well as to keep the railway operational.
I am amazed that you have little demand on a Saturday compared to a Monday but as that is the case then it's understandable you don't open then. I guess maybe a lot of people areare travell home then.

We were just day trippers and as such wouldn't be wanting to take a week day off work. That's the beauty of living not to far away.

We will be doing the trip again so may plan to coincide it with a Saturday when your open.

E759

I went to the Bank Holiday Monday Beer Festival, which was great by the way!, and was amazed at the very light loading of the trains. I'll guess that the temperature being 25 degrees that day had much to do with the loadings. My own tip would be to buy the First Class Rover. Sumptuous compartments all to yourselves :)

cav1975

I went to the Bank Holiday Monday Beer Festival, which was great by the way!, and was amazed at the very light loading of the trains. I'll guess that the temperature being 25 degrees that day had much to do with the loadings. My own tip would be to buy the First Class Rover. Sumptuous compartments all to yourselves :)

Glad you enjoyed your visit. Sadly the beach is still our greatest competitor!

duffield

Established Member
I got caught out by this, should have checked the timetable! However I managed to fit in a visit on Sunday instead of Saturday. It's a very impressive railway, the carriages are amazing, and it was brilliant to see the railway again on TV yesterday after having just visited it (for those who haven't seen it, Railway Restorations should be available now on catch up TV (All4) - the series consists of four programs showing the restoration of four carriages from four different eras).

Status
Not open for further replies.