• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why is there live driver's eye view footage on TV's on National Express coaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class 33

Established Member
Something I've noticed over the last couple of years whilst making some journeys on National Express coaches, is that there is often live drivers eye view footage of the journey showing on the TV's at the front of the coach for passengers to watch. There usually is on the service 040's between Bristol and London anyway, not sure how common it is on other services. Just wondered what exactly the point of this is?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TRAX

Established Member
Perhaps to reassure some passengers by showing them the driver's actions are filmed so he can't do whatever he wants ?

Established Member
Perhaps to reassure some passengers by showing them the driver's actions are filmed so he can't do whatever he wants ?

Except they aren't. It is a front facing camera.

Presumably to help negate the feeling of travel sickness?

TRAX

Established Member
I didn't say it filmed the driver. It films the driver's actions.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You can largely see the driver's actions (other than whether he tailgates or not) by looking out of the side windows.

It's probably because people like a forward view in road vehicles, and the coach is supplied with screens so they might as well do something with them.

TRAX

Established Member
You can largely see the driver's actions (other than whether he tailgates or not) by looking out of the side windows.

It's probably because people like a forward view in road vehicles, and the coach is supplied with screens so they might as well do something with them.

But seeing will not necessarily be sufficient proof in case of an issue.

Last edited:

pompeyfan

Established Member
All modern PCV's and most HGV's are smothered in cameras for various reasons, I don't think there's a single blindspot on them. My local NatEx contractor has also just implemented a system that has a front facing and driver facing camera that is triggered by a gyroscope.

Lrd

Established Member
All modern PCV's and most HGV's are smothered in cameras for various reasons, I don't think there's a single blindspot on them. My local NatEx contractor has also just implemented a system that has a front facing and driver facing camera that is triggered by a gyroscope.
It's another version of the DriveGreen system that First Bus use. If you get an 'event' then it stores the footage 7 seconds before it happened. It's to make sure you were focusing at the time it happened and not looking away.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
But seeing will not necessarily be sufficient proof in case of an issue.

That's not what I meant. I just meant that people like to look out of the front of road vehicles - they do - it's one big reason why people prefer generally to sit in the front of cars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pompeyfan

Established Member
It's another version of the DriveGreen system that First Bus use. If you get an 'event' then it stores the footage 7 seconds before it happened. It's to make sure you were focusing at the time it happened and not looking away.

Greenroad is a good system providing it's calibrated correctly, which sadly isn't very often! And that's coming from a driver with a score of 4!

vicbury

Good. The last National Express driver I had was a nutter and was duly reported to them. Hopefully he is no longer employed by the relevant contractor.

Martin nx

The forward facing camera mounted on the back of the instrument binnacle is the supply for the screen in the top of the interior roof facing the passengers, it was put in to combat travel sickness on Mk2 Levantes onwards, I turn it off when it gets dark as it creates a flickering in my peripheral vision and is a damn nuisance to be honest. The other camera facing the driver and towards the front is the drive cam, another waste of money to be honest! They could save this money and put our wages up to a fair level! :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.