• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why platform numbers not letters

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
A very quick question: why do we use numbers for platforms not letters

(Stumped in answering a question from my 8 year old niece)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Possibly because by default we count ‘things’ using numbers?
But you also should explain Waterloo East and New Cross, where they do use letters...

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I believe numbering is more traditional? Certainly letters seem to be used more often to split platforms into "zones" i.e. Platform 1, Platform 1A etc. Though I believe a few have lettered platforms such as St Pancras.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Possibly because by default we count ‘things’ using numbers?
But you also should explain Waterloo East and New Cross, where they do use letters...

I believe Waterloo East uses letters to distinguish from the numbered platforms of Waterloo itself.

The_Train

Established Member
Is it not to do with the fact that numbers are easier to distinguish between, particularly when spoken, compared to that of letters where C and E (as an example) could easily be confused over a tannoy announcement?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I believe Waterloo East uses letters to distinguish from the numbered platforms of Waterloo itself.
As is well known but I thought it might amuse the OP’s niece... As of course does your own example of St Pancras low level, although I do think people would still cope if they just ran in numerical sequence. It’s said that New Cross was done with letters to help avoid confusion for the emergency services.

Established Member
Travel on Crossrail through the middle when it opens and you'll be asking the opposite question.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
As is well known but I thought it might amuse the OP’s niece... As of course does your own example of St Pancras low level, although I do think people would still cope if they just ran in numerical sequence. It’s said that New Cross was done with letters to help avoid confusion for the emergency services.

Wasn't aware New Cross was lettered - considering it's fairly rare how does it help emergency services as such I wonder?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Wasn't aware New Cross was lettered - considering it's fairly rare how does it help emergency services as such I wonder?
Supposedly adds to the difference between that station and New Cross Gate. Seems unnecessary, there must be numerous pairs of nearby stations with closely similar names.

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
Is it not to do with the fact that numbers are easier to distinguish between, particularly when spoken, compared to that of letters where C and E (as an example) could easily be confused over a tannoy announcement?
I think this is a nice benefit but reading too much into it. Tannoys did not exist when stations were invented, for one. We count things with numbers - simple as.

krus_aragon

Established Member
In the very early days of railways, at stations such as Euston platforms would be named: you'd have an arrival platform for terminating trains, and a departure platform for those setting off.

Last edited:

td97

Established Member
Imagine the confusion at Piccadilly when two trains are simultaneously announced as departing from platforms 13 (M) and 14 (N)

Dr Hoo

Established Member

What a super question! Aren’t kids great at cutting to the chase?

Simple answer is that I don’t know. However, some thoughts:
Canal companies typically numbered locks, rather than giving them letters. However, some canals, such as the Staffordshire & Worcestershire did seem to give every lock a name.
Early railway history suggests that platforms had names. For instance the first Euston Station had an Arrival Stage and a Departure Stage. No ‘platforms’ in those days, of course.
Wayside stations would have an Up Platform and a Down Platform (and perhaps a Branch Platform).
Some larger stations in the mid-19th century used ‘service’ names. The first Birmingham New Street had no platform numbers originally but signed by function - LNW Departures, South Staffordshire Departures, Midland Departures and so on.
Generally unplanned growth got some stations into a right mess. King’s Cross in 1905 had (from east to west):
York Road Platform
No 1 Arrive
No 2 Arrive
No 3 Arrive (which notched into...)
No 4 Arrive
No 5 Arrive
No 2 Depart
No 1 Depart (Yes, in that order)
Platform E
Platform D
Platform C
Suburban Line B
Platform A
(And people now fret about Platform 0 and Platform 9 3/4!)

I suspect that somebody started using numbers at larger stations and everybody else immediately recognised what a simple idea it was. It is worth remembering that the Operating Superintendents of the main companies met frequently to discuss national timetable development so ideas could propagate rapidly.

Veteran Member
AFAIK New Cross was changed with the previous London Bridge remodelling in the 70s because the 3 "Cannon St" lines were numbered 1-3 throughout but platform 1 (the only one whose function was totally unchanged) was the East London bay.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
AFAIK New Cross was changed with the previous London Bridge remodelling in the 70s because the 3 "Cannon St" lines were numbered 1-3 throughout but platform 1 (the only one whose function was totally unchanged) was the East London bay.

Fair enough, though it still seems strange they renumbered it with letters rather than numbers.

Esker-pades

Established Member
Reasons for Wateroo East:
It was originally part of Waterloo (Main). In order to distinguish the SE platforms from the SW platforms, the SE platforms were given letters. When they were split, it was still considered useful to keep the letters to the SE side and numbers on the SW.

This is similar for New Cross, where letters were used instead of numbers to stop people getting confused between New Cross and New Cross Gate (which uses numbers).
However, I speak from experience when I say that this hasn't helped. The number of confused people who I have seen alight at New Cross from the Overground and think they're at New Cross Gate is brilliant.

DanTrain

Mainland Europe likes using numbers. If I recall correctly Paris Lyon has platforms A-N, and then maybe some numbers too I can’t remember. Dijon meanwhile appeared to have platforms A to I (but no B), and the 3 and 37 :s. Maybe I misunderstood the sign...

As for St Pancras LL, Waterloo East, New Cross (Gate?) etc, it makes sense, same to some extent for XRail (E and W is it in the core?)

Are there any (Marlybone suggested above) with both letters and numbers in the UK?

transmanche

Established Member
Are there any (Marlybone suggested above) with both letters and numbers in the UK?
Does Maryeblone have any lettered platforms? I thought they were just numbered 1-6.

Assuming that you're not counting things like platform 1A, etc: then the only station that springs to mind is St Pancras - which you mentioned. Platforms 1-4 for East Midlands Trains, platforms 5-10 for Eurostar, platforms 11-13 for Southeastern High Speed and platforms A & B for Thameslink services.

The only reason I can think for lettering the Thameslink platforms (rather than calling them platforms 14 & 15) is a continuation of the practice at Kings Cross Thameslink (formerly, Kings Cross Midland City) station - which was to avoid any confusion with Kings Cross station itself.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I doubt there was ever any point at which a management team at a railway company (pre BR, most of this will have been) sat down and decreed that all their stations shall have numbered platforms.

Which, unfortunately, makes giving a sensible answer to an eight year old's brilliant question really quite hard. "it's just the way it is" is a really unsatisfying answer and enquiring minds just won't stand for it.

Altfish

In the days when Piccadilly was London Road, what are now Platforms 1 to 4 used to be A to D. There was even a fence down the middle of platform 4/5 (D/1)
A to D were the Eastern / ex GC platforms

AndrewE

Established Member
P1040751(1).JPG Gdansk has Island platforms 1 and 2... with tracks 2 and 4, and 1 and 3 at them respectively! The suburban trains go from lines 501 and 502 from Platform 3...

Last edited:

Mordac

Established Member
Imagine the confusion at Piccadilly when two trains are simultaneously announced as departing from platforms 13 (M) and 14 (N)
If they pronounced is as "Mike" and "November," it might be easier to distinguish than "Thirteen" and "Fourteen!"

alexx

Marylebone has had boarding area A (and later B) for a while, but recently some of the platform signs have been changed to (eg) 1A and 1B - presumably because trains have a habit of being stacked up and front train and back train wasn’t the best way of organising it, especially if English wasn’t your first language.

Skymonster

Established Member
St Pancras - which you mentioned. Platforms 1-4 for East Midlands Trains, platforms 5-10 for Eurostar, platforms 11-13 for Southeastern High Speed and platforms A & B for Thameslink services.

The only reason I can think for lettering the Thameslink platforms (rather than calling them platforms 14 & 15) is a continuation of the practice at Kings Cross Thameslink (formerly, Kings Cross Midland City) station - which was to avoid any confusion with Kings Cross station itself.
I suspect St Pancras might have more to with avoiding location confusion - if Thameslink had been 14-15 non-regular travellers might assume [not unreasonably IMO] that they were situated beyond (or at least in the same part of the station as) 11-13. I accept that A and B mean nothing in the context of 1-13, but at least using letters for Thameslink causes the casual traveller who doesn't know the station to consider more carefully where they need to be.

DanTrain

I suspect St Pancras might have more to with avoiding location confusion - if Thameslink had been 14-15 non-regular travellers might assume [not unreasonably IMO] that they were situated beyond (or at least in the same part of the station as) 11-13. I accept that A and B mean nothing in the context of 1-13, but at least using letters for Thameslink causes the casual traveller who doesn't know the station to consider more carefully where they need to be.
At other stations I'd accept that logic, but at St Pancras that makes no sense. Platforms 1-4 are accessed from the higher level beyond the coctail bar, 5-10 (Eurostare ones) are accessed through security and the eurstar departure lounge, accessed from the lower level and platforms 11-13 (SE HS) are found rouind the corner near the back entrance. If anything, Thameslink is between platforms 5-10 and 11-13 to the average tourist.

Status
Not open for further replies.