• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why put steam engine speedometer on driving wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Fox

I was looking at a picture of Tornado and it has the speedometer connected to the rear, left, driver. The complication is that there's an arm required from the crank pin back to the axle centre. In addition, this can't help access to connecting rod bearings. Why not use the pony truck right under the cab floor?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was looking at a picture of Tornado and it has the speedometer connected to the rear, left, driver. The complication is that there's an arm required from the crank pin back to the axle centre. In addition, this can't help access to connecting rod bearings. Why not use the pony truck right under the cab floor?

If it's attached to a driving wheel it will give a clear indication of wheelslip?

pdeaves

Established Member
Possibly standard type of design; not all locos have non-driving wheels. Possibly also longevity; attaching to a bigger wheel means slower workings inside the 'gubbins' for any given speed.

jamieP

Theres a lot of pipe work etc under the cab making the fitment of a speed there very complicated.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Perhaps because the pony truck moves around laterally on curves so the speedo cable would flex around each time?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The rear driver was the norm for steam locos, if attached to a rotating bogie a torque arm would be required to account for the lateral play. BR did experimentally fit one loco with one on the leading bogie in addition to the usual rear driver, this extra cable was to provide more accurate indication at low speed.

It didn't work and afaik BR went back to tradition.

Perhaps because the pony truck moves around laterally on curves so the speedo cable would flex around each time?
Pretty much.

Status
Not open for further replies.