• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why The Obsession With Electric cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
I really don't get the obsession with them. It's false clean power. Just because they don't produce emissions, doesn't mean they're clean. This Top Gear segment perfectly shows how bad they are. (Link in spoiler)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndrewE

Established Member
I get that, but couldn't car manufactures have found a cleaner way of zero emissions?
I had one as a kid: a pedal car!
In reality the govt is pandering to the generally lazy and selfish electorate, while hoping to maintain economic growth by propping up the car industry.
Car-lovers (and lots of other people) will not accept that we have to drastically reduce overall fuel use anyway, and electric cars won't have any effect at all on this & could make things worse given the inherent inefficiency of electricity generation. For some reason people see having to use public transport as indicating their poverty, but it's not like that abroad...

Howardh

Established Member
Horses. Should all go back to horses and cart. Think how good the roses will be, put emissions to good use.

underbank

Established Member
For some reason people see having to use public transport as indicating their poverty, but it's not like that abroad...

For a huge amount of people, public transport is simply not a viable option. It's fine for people in big cities where millions have been spent on modern public transport infrastructure, but for lots of people, not just on remote hill tops, but in smaller cities, towns, villages, etc., it's a completely different scenario. As it is for people who need to transport stuff around with them for their job. Provide a "fit for purpose" public transport system and far more people would use it.

Edders23

I get that, but couldn't car manufactures have found a cleaner way of zero emissions?

FUEL CELLS the exhaust is H2O

there is plenty of tech out there that can reduce emissions BUT politicians seem fixated with Electric which I suspect is at the behest of the car Industry who want to sell us loads of battery cars which are probably cheaper to develop than fuel cell technology

jonty14

When I go to England I have to drive 1,500 km one way. That would take a long time in an electric car having to charge up all the time.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
When I go to England I have to drive 1,500 km one way. That would take a long time in an electric car having to charge up all the time.

The car is really not the optimal way to make that journey, least of all in one go where driver fatigue would make this rather dangerous, and is furthermore probably one of the more expensive ways of making it. And most people will not make that journey in that way, they'll fly or take the train, or it'll be the kind of family holiday where the journey is part of the holiday and you stop off in places where charging could be carried out.

Geezertronic

Established Member

I would love to know what that one way journey is. Penzance to John O'Groats is under 900 miles (1,450km approx)

PeterC

Established Member
Why electric? Because the infrastructure to deliver electricity is in place and the majority of users can recharge at home.

(NOTE I said "majority" not "all", I am aware that there is a significant minority of car users who either have to park on street or in communual parking without power supply)

Howardh

Established Member
If there is a limit on battery capacity and no amount of technological development can improve that limit, I suppose one day we will have to go back to how steam railways coped...collecting the water as they went along out of a trough. But how could that be done regarding cars driving along? Like trams and trolleybusses where there are overhead cables down the M6??? On the ground collected by shoes where pedestrians can't access??
But I suppose the answer will be fast-charge pints, say 10' to give you 90% capacity, as long as they are widespread. Mind you I start to fret when my mobile phone starts to hit 69%...
Anyway, I'll probably be 6' under when we are forced to drive electric cars; meanwhile I'd love to have the return of electric trolly busses, and wonder where in Europe one can still use them (not nostalgic lines)?

thejuggler

Purely because its the technology Government expects us to transition to.

I have driven a Nissan Leaf for hundreds of miles and now have access to a Prius hybrid plug in.

They both do their jobs as a tool for moving you from a to b, but neither are adequate for my needs. A Leaf could do as our second car, but as it only does about 4,000 a year fuel costs are a small opportunity cost I am happy to pay.

EM2

Established Member
The basic version of the Hyundai Kona EV has a range of 200 miles (321km). Let's say 250km before range anxiety sets in. A 20-minute fast charge would mean six charges, or two hours in stops.

MotCO

Established Member
Does the country have enough power generation capacity to recharge electric cars if we all changed over? Or even if 25% change over? We are closing down fossil energy power stations, but not replacing the capacity lost.

MotCO

Established Member
The basic version of the Hyundai Kona EV has a range of 200 miles (321km). Let's say 250km before range anxiety sets in. A 20-minute fast charge would mean six charges, or two hours in stops.

I've often wondered whether there will ever be a time when we have replaceable batteries. When you're running low on charge, you pull into the now defunct petrol stations and exchange your battery pack with a fully charged set. Clearly there would have to be a common size / standard, but would it not be possible for an automaton to take out the old battery and replace with a new set? The old battery set would be recharged for a later customer.

jonty14

I've often wondered whether there will ever be a time when we have replaceable batteries. When you're running low on charge, you pull into the now defunct petrol stations and exchange your battery pack with a fully charged set. Clearly there would have to be a common size / standard, but would it not be possible for an automaton to take out the old battery and replace with a new set? The old battery set would be recharged for a later customer.
That would be a great way for long distance journeys but as you say standardisation would have to be implemented.

PeterC

Established Member
Something that I have brought up on motoring forums in the past. It would need a sea change in battery technology to bring car batteries down to a sensible size. With that model there is also the fact that you wouldn't know how much residual life was in the replacement battery, it simply wouldn't hold charge for as long as one new from the factory.

At the moment nobody really knows what the useful life of a battery will be in real world use. Replacing a built in battery in a car is going to be an expensive business.

radamfi

Established Member
Does the country have enough power generation capacity to recharge electric cars if we all changed over? Or even if 25% change over? We are closing down fossil energy power stations, but not replacing the capacity lost.

I assume you are talking about the UK (or maybe England or Great Britain), but there are other countries in the world as well, some ahead of the UK in terms of electric car penetration, and therefore lessons could be learned.

Incidentally, whilst electric cars are a step forward in terms of local air quality, they are not strictly zero emission, because there is particulate pollution from tyres and brakes.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Horses. Should all go back to horses and cart. Think how good the roses will be, put emissions to good use.
The trouble is collecting those emissions. The arrival of motor cars in the early 20th century was welcomed because city streets were so much cleaner without horses leaving their makr everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.